E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i 2A15 Fine leakage detected

08-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
f82_spooly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 M3, E46 M3

335i 2A15 Fine leakage detected

I'm currently getting a 2A15 DMTL Fine leakage code (tighten gas cap). I replaced the gas cap but it still comes back after 50-80 miles. I've read that the DMTL pump hose rubs with the AC hose and erodes which causes this code or the DMTL simply has gone bad. Anyone know where this hose is located so I can inspect it before buying a new pump?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92life View Post
I'm currently getting a 2A15 DMTL Fine leakage code (tighten gas cap). I replaced the gas cap but it still comes back after 50-80 miles. I've read that the DMTL pump hose rubs with the AC hose and erodes which causes this code or the DMTL simply has gone bad. Anyone know where this hose is located so I can inspect it before buying a new pump?
I have the same error, and I'm in the same stage as you are on this one. I have already replaced the gas cap and still have the error.

My car will throw the gas cap icon, and I get a Service Engine Soon light. I get 2A15 and 2A16 using INPA.

There was a post about the vent hose from the tank to the front, rubbing on the chassis near the rear tire. It looked like an involved fix to replace the entire tube.

Does your gas tank kick off early when filling? Mine does frequently, so that's leading me toward pressure imbalances or a fuel tank vent issue. I'm trying to diagnose this without blindly replacing things.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
f82_spooly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 M3, E46 M3

Yeah I think it does kick off early sometimes... and i have read that post about the fuel tank hose next to the wheel I still haven't checked it out but I will this weekend and see what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
I have the same error, and I'm in the same stage as you are on this one. I have already replaced the gas cap and still have the error.

My car will throw the gas cap icon, and I get a Service Engine Soon light. I get 2A15 and 2A16 using INPA.

There was a post about the vent hose from the tank to the front, rubbing on the chassis near the rear tire. It looked like an involved fix to replace the entire tube.

Does your gas tank kick off early when filling? Mine does frequently, so that's leading me toward pressure imbalances or a fuel tank vent issue. I'm trying to diagnose this without blindly replacing things.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
If you don't see any damage to any hoses, it's likely the actual DMTL module connected to the carbon canister in the rear. 2A15/2A16 faults may make it look like there is an actual leak somewhere but in my case, it was a false reading. I replaced the module as a last effort type of thing before finally just tolerating the CEL but after replacing it, never got that fault again. Fortunately for you, it's not the most expensive part, maybe a couple hundred.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Fortunately for you, it's not the most expensive part, maybe a couple hundred.
$60 shipped, not bad but there are a lot of parts in the evap system that I could throw money at still not be the problem.

My INPA setup isn't working 100% when it comes to testing stuff in the DME, so it won't let me run the DMTL tests.

But your experience does give me some hope that I just replace it and be done with it. Those hose connectors are a pain to remove!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
$60 shipped, not bad but there are a lot of parts in the evap system that I could throw money at still not be the problem.

My INPA setup isn't working 100% when it comes to testing stuff in the DME, so it won't let me run the DMTL tests.

But your experience does give me some hope that I just replace it and be done with it. Those hose connectors are a pain to remove!
I spend a lot of time trying to diagnose the issues - from tracing all the hoses from the carbon canister to replacing the hose(s) in the engine bay to no avail. With all the threads out there regarding 2A15/2A16, I was surprised no one mentioned replacing the actual DMTL pump. Hopefully replacing it solves your issues.
Appreciate 0