F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N47 Straight-Pipe?
proTUNING Freaks

07-29-2017, 02:39 AM   #1
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
N47 Straight-Pipe?

I have a 2014 F30 328d xDrive and just watched a bunch of YouTube videos of other n47 diesels being straight-piped. I was told that the emissions systems are very delicate in these cars and that tampering with them can ruin the whole car and cost thousands to repairs. I've straight-piped many chevy cars and trucks by cutting the muffler off and replacing it with a piece of piping. I doubt it's that simple in this car? Or is it? I'd love to make the car sound more aggressive without buying some overpriced river sounding exhaust system. No offense to ricer fans, but it's just not my style. I like to be loud, proud, and aggressive. I do have the latest versions of ISTA/D and ISTA-P. Help me out here!
      07-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
I like to be loud, proud, and aggressive
From a straight hardware standpoint, I think it will depend on how much you are willing to put up with CEL lights and the car's system notifying you that something isn't right if you cut out and bypass all the emissions controls.

There's probably a way to reprogram the car to knock the lights and notifications out, but I think there's a more pressing question here that many people are asking and would like to know...

Why did you pick this car to do this to? A car that the manufacturer has deeply ingrained the emissions control systems.

Don't take this as a flaming...but there are vehicles that lend themselves to this sort of modification so much more easily - almost as if the manufacturer purposely allowed for it to be done.

07-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
Quote:
I like to be loud, proud, and aggressive
From a straight hardware standpoint, I think it will depend on how much you are willing to put up with CEL lights and the car's system notifying you that something isn't right if you cut out and bypass all the emissions controls.

There's probably a way to reprogram the car to knock the lights and notifications out, but I think there's a more pressing question here that many people are asking and would like to know...

Why did you pick this car to do this to? A car that the manufacturer has deeply ingrained the emissions control systems.

Don't take this as a flaming...but there are vehicles that lend themselves to this sort of modification so much more easily - almost as if the manufacturer purposely allowed for it to be done.

Thank you for that. I will play study up more on learning ISTA-P before hand to program any errors out. It's a good question. I didn't buy the car with the intention of really doing anything to it. Then after seeing the very surprising bmw mod community, I was surprised. I think every car should be easy to modify to an extent. It's a shame that a lot of car companies try to hard to keep things difficult, so you have to pay a ridiculous price point for a authorized dealership to do any work to it. Still, BMW are built for mainly racing and street style appeal. If I bought a Mercedes, I probably wouldn't not want to mod it just because it isn't a street car and made for sole purpose of luxury driving.
      07-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

1) ISTA doesn't do it.
2) You need a tune to remove the CEL and other stuff that will happen.
3) The DDE (ECU) in BMWs cannot be tuned/flashed while in the car: it needs to removed and "bench-tuned".
4) There are at least three things to remove: a) DPF/DOC, SCR Catalyst, Muffler.

Check the e90post diesel subforum for experiences doing this for the earlier 335d. Poster TDIWyse was one of the first.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
1) ISTA doesn't do it.
2) You need a tune to remove the CEL and other stuff that will happen.
3) The DDE (ECU) in BMWs cannot be tuned/flashed while in the car: it needs to removed and "bench-tuned".
4) There are at least three things to remove: a) DPF/DOC, SCR Catalyst, Muffler.

Check the e90post diesel subforum for experiences doing this for the earlier 335d. Poster TDIWyse was one of the first.
I should correct me self that I don't want a true straight pipe. I would like to keep the cats. All I want is a muffler delete. Sorry for the confusion
      07-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
I should correct me self that I don't want a true straight pipe. I would like to keep the cats. All I want is a muffler delete. Sorry for the confusion
Removing the muffler and putting a straight pipe there won't set any CELs. I know that TDIWyse did this and posted pics (on e90post/diesel), but I can't find them at this time. The increase in sound is not big, because of the turbos, DPF/DOC, and SCR cat already deadening things.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 12:07 AM   #7
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Quote:
Removing the muffler and putting a straight pipe there won't set any CELs. I know that TDIWyse did this and posted pics (on e90post/diesel), but I can't find them at this time. The increase in sound is not big, because of the turbos, DPF/DOC, and SCR cat already deadening things.

Good luck.
Okay thanks! So I shouldn't have to worry about the system throwing any codes or errors for just cutting out the muffler? I think the sound will be perfect hopefully. I don't want to be obnoxious but I want more depth to the sound without doing any major work on the vehicle.
      07-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Okay thanks! So I shouldn't have to worry about the system throwing any codes or errors for just cutting out the muffler? I think the sound will be perfect hopefully. I don't want to be obnoxious but I want more depth to the sound without doing any major work on the vehicle.
You shouldn't have any problems. There aren't any sensor that I know of down the exhaust that far.

However, I doubt you'll hear much of a difference. Even without the DPF and cats 4-cylinder diesels aren't that loud. I'm sure that DPF is going to deaden things quite a bit. At the very least you'll cut ~40lbs off your car's weight..
      08-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
graphicjunkie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d Msport Xdrive

Having done this to my previous Powerstroke,(removed resonator and muffler behind cat) the truck (v8) was minimally louder at idle and lower revs. But once the rpm's hit about 4k, it became very apparent...almost like having an exhaust cutout installed.

I would imagine that it would be somewhat of the same with our cars.
Only question is, would a straight pipe 4 banger diesel sound good? I know my old Honda sounded like CRAP back in the day when I drove it from my house to the muffler shop to have my custom exhaust built. Although also a 4 banger, not diesel.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicjunkie View Post
Having done this to my previous Powerstroke,(removed resonator and muffler behind cat) the truck (v8) was minimally louder at idle and lower revs. But once the rpm's hit about 4k, it became very apparent...almost like having an exhaust cutout installed.

I would imagine that it would be somewhat of the same with our cars.
Only question is, would a straight pipe 4 banger diesel sound good? I know my old Honda sounded like CRAP back in the day when I drove it from my house to the muffler shop to have my custom exhaust built. Although also a 4 banger, not diesel.
Most cars sound terrible. There is a few vws around that just make me giggle but here is a. Idea of a straight piped diesel on a dyno. Impressive amount of coal for a car too!

08-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay I found a new video and am absolutely amazed and shocked. I knew that bmw with dpf could roll coal but I never imagined they could roll as much as 24v Cummins lol watch this!!

08-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #12
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Definitely no DPF on that car...
      08-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #13
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
What? You would need a dpf delete for even a little smoke and if you did get smoke with a dpf it clog it in a heartbeat and you would destroy it.
      08-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
What? You would need a dpf delete for even a little smoke and if you did get smoke with a dpf it clog it in a heartbeat and you would destroy it.
Oh sorry I thought you said there was no dpf delete on it. My bad
      08-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You would need a dpf delete

Exactly.

Not sure why you said "What?". There's clearly no DPF on that car...
      08-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #16
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
There's probably a way to reprogram the car to knock the lights and notifications out
To the best of my knowledge there isn't if straight piping includes a catless DP as that's what'll throw the CEL on your dash. The only way to eliminate that light is by a JB4 piggyback that overrides that code.

If the stock DP is intact, it shouldn't throw a code, but again I'm not 100% certain on that and knowing some here, I'll be corrected in a heartbeat if that's wrong, lmao.

Don't think I'd personally ever go catless on a diesel though as evidenced by that video above, haha. Geesus that's a lotta black smoke!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #17
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidMercury View Post
Quote:
There's probably a way to reprogram the car to knock the lights and notifications out
To the best of my knowledge there isn't if straight piping includes a catless DP as that's what'll throw the CEL on your dash. The only way to eliminate that light is by a JB4 piggyback that overrides that code.

If the stock DP is intact, it shouldn't throw a code, but again I'm not 100% certain on that and knowing some here, I'll be corrected in a heartbeat if that's wrong, lmao.

Don't think I'd personally ever go catless on a diesel though as evidenced by that video above, haha. Geesus that's a lotta black smoke!
Yeah I'm working with whitebread there is a JR tune available for a 328d and buzzken is manufacturing a downpipe for the 328d which should be on the market in a few weeks. So the dpf delete will be possible very shortly.
      09-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #18
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
Yeah I'm working with whitebread there is a JR tune available for a 328d and buzzken is manufacturing a downpipe for the 328d which should be on the market in a few weeks. So the dpf delete will be possible very shortly.
Keep us posted as the DP hits the market.
      09-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #19
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Keep us posted as the DP hits the market.
I will. I Still haven't heard any updates yet on the availability or pricing
      10-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #20
M-wachtel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
I will. I Still haven't heard any updates yet on the availability or pricing
They replied to me on Jr auto's Facebook page and said they were just waiting on the pipe to be made on Buzzken's end...that was a few weeks ago :/...

I bought my 328d CPO in April of this year. Love the car, coming from a mk6 TDI w/ DSG, but I have had 3 check engine light episodes and they have all been emission system related....This last one, according to my brother's "Carly" device is saying its related to DPF soot levels w/ a soot level of 15.82g (which other internet sources tell me is a normal amount, so not sure).

I have 40,000mi on it and do mostly highway, conscious of not letting it sit and idol. Needless to say, aside from all the other benefits of deletes, I cannot wait for the kit to come out so I can stop stressing over CEL's.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #21
Highhat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328d Xdrive F30 N47

Has anyone done the JR kit?

The straight pipe is available now, still deciding whether to do it myself or take a road trip to JR in ATL...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #22
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

Dpf removal, down pipe, and straight pipe install took me 2-3 hrs on the 328. So much more room than the 335 or x5 for deletes.
Appreciate 0