E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MOT FAIL. Hand brake shoes. Need HELP !

07-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
Mark e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Car failed it's not today due to handbrake not working effectively. I have two days to get it back in for a resit but I am really struggling with trying to adjust it !

I tried and failed at this a while back but just left it as it wasn't any big deal. I barley use the handbrake with the car being an auto and when I do need to it still works ok if I pull it on hard.

The first attempt I had a while ago I got stuck when I couldn't manage to get the service spring pushed back and locked in place ( under the handbrake boot ) I still gave adjusting the wheel ago but couldn't get it to budge and left it at that.

This time around I still couldn't get the service lock engaged, I think the little hook is damaged as I could see the spring was pressed all the way back but the hook wouldn't catch onto the spring, however I managed to keep the spring compressed using a long bar wedged on the bottom of the dash to keep in place.

The adjustment wheel still won't budge ! It still moves back in the direction to loosen the handbrake but will not move in the direction to tighten. It feels like it's reached maximum clicks to tighten and cant go any tighter yet the wheel still spins, could that be possible

Or dose it sound like The handbrake shoes need replaced ?
      07-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I doubt the shoes need changing as you never use them! It's a bit of a pain, but your best bet would be to remove the rear discs (which the handbrake shoes sit behind) so you can get a proper look at the adjuster and what needs to be done to free it off.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Cheers Phill done just that however I'm now more confused than ever

The adjustment wheel will not move however I don't see how it could, the way that its lodged between the shoes it docent seem possible for it to turn.

I will strip down the other side tomorrow but I recon it will just be the same as I had the exact same problem with that when trying to adjust.

I have uploaded a few photos so hopefully someone can maybe see whats going on here.

as you can see the wheel is between the 2 shoes and when I removed it it separated into two parts one end is threaded but the female is dose not appear to be, Hard to explain so I have taken as best pictures as I could

07-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Good guides here plus is the spring meant to look like? The shoe adjuster I'm guessing should extend or retract as you turn.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

http://www.101projects.com/BMW/Proje...s/DSC03715.JPG
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Yeah after looking through some videos and photos online it looks like the adjuster screw is the culprit it must have seized up and broken hopefully someone will be along to confirm this and I will get 2 ordered

Also the MOT station said they can only do a partial retest if the car is back within 2 day so don't know if that means 2 working days as it will be Monday at the earliest I could get it back in to them.
      07-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

By the looks of it you might need a replacement kit which includes the springs etc. And for the price you might as well get new shoes.

If you find the part number for the adjuster put it on here as they don't seem to be available on Ebay.

On a side note I need to adjust mine, is the mechanism under the handbrake easy to find and unlock or lock?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
By the looks of it you might need a replacement kit which includes the springs etc. And for the price you might as well get new shoes.

If you find the part number for the adjuster put it on here as they don't seem to be available on Ebay.

On a side note I need to adjust mine, is the mechanism under the handbrake easy to find and unlock or lock?
I found the adjusters on eBay under hand brake adjusting screw £12.90 each also found replacement spring kit for £6 so hopefully that will see it through its MOT new shoes are another £30

Easy is certainly not the word I would describe that ! As I said I gave up the first time after lots of swearing and shouting ! This time around wasn't much better but I persisted a bit longer as I need to this time but still couldn't get it to lock in place ( think the hook on mine is damaged and won't latch on ) . I managed to push it in using a large breaker bar and have it wedged against the bottom of the dash board to keep the spring compressed, I just used plenty of towels to make sure it dose not mark the dash

Good luck........
      07-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark e90 View Post
I found the adjusters on eBay under hand brake adjusting screw £12.90 each also found replacement spring kit for £6 so hopefully that will see it through its MOT new shoes are another £30

Easy is certainly not the word I would describe that ! As I said I gave up the first time after lots of swearing and shouting ! This time around wasn't much better but I persisted a bit longer as I need to this time but still couldn't get it to lock in place ( think the hook on mine is damaged and won't latch on ) . I managed to push it in using a large breaker bar and have it wedged against the bottom of the dash board to keep the spring compressed, I just used plenty of towels to make sure it dose not mark the dash

Good luck........
Dear lord that sounds like a bastard
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 04:25 AM   #10
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Well some good news this morning. After leaving the adjuster soaking in wd40 overnight I managed to free it up and get it to screw out. Fitted it back on and it works I can now turn the wheel and adjust the handbrake. Went to tackle the other side however I managed to get that turning this time without having to strip it down so got that adjusted to.

The hand brake feel tighter but as I never really used the thing it's hard to compare. Does anyone know a rough test that can give an idea as to wether it will pass an mot ? It takes 5 click to hold the car stationary when in drive. Does that sound about right. Just don't want to waste more time running to the MOT Station for it to fail again !
      07-28-2017, 04:47 AM   #11
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
You tighten it up so the wheels dont move then back it of 8 clicks.
I take it the handbrake was released when you tried to engage the maintenance lock spring?
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #12
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark e90 View Post
Well some good news this morning. After leaving the adjuster soaking in wd40 overnight I managed to free it up and get it to screw out. Fitted it back on and it works I can now turn the wheel and adjust the handbrake. Went to tackle the other side however I managed to get that turning this time without having to strip it down so got that adjusted to.

The hand brake feel tighter but as I never really used the thing it's hard to compare. Does anyone know a rough test that can give an idea as to wether it will pass an mot ? It takes 5 click to hold the car stationary when in drive. Does that sound about right. Just don't want to waste more time running to the MOT Station for it to fail again !
Good work. If the car doesnt move after 5 clicks of the handbrake everything should be dandy. Believe its a max of 10 for MOT.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Just got the call and it's passed
      07-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

result, i always put the hand brake and P but the handbrake is not up to much!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Yeah I will try and use it all the time now to keep it working I'm hoping it may even get a little better with the frequent use after not getting used for so long.

I did pull it on the odd time but it felt pointless as you would still feel the car roll a little as it does when you just put it in park without the handbrake. Not anymore though, bit of a bother having to take it back for retest etc but it is nice to have a half decent handbrake I suppose. Plus didn't cost me anything to put it right
      07-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #16
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
The little 'roll' before the parking brake engages is a design trait. Happens on my manual too...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0