THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Please Talk Me Out of This!

07-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
orourkj
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix

Please Talk Me Out of This!

I have a beautiful 2015 228ix Sport Line, but I'm hankering for the oomph of my old Z4M. My budget really doesn't let me go above $30K on another car right now, but this rebuilt car is on eBay - terrible idea, right !?!?!?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272758145254
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Yeah terrible idea.

BTW last week I saw a 228 in black and it was very good looking - I have a white 235 but was still impressed by that black 228.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #3
orourkj
Rep

Deep Sea Blue Metallic exterior with Dark Oyster Accent leather. It's beautiful, just wish it had a few more horses.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Both Burger and Dinan have a "sport" tune that attaches to the TMAP sensor to give you 3-4 more PSI of boost. Good for maybe 30HP, and inexpensive (Burger=$200, Dinan=$300 but includes BT capability to change amount of boost from phone/tablet).

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

Tune it!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Bad idea I think. It may depend on damage. I would definitely have to take it on a extra long test drive to check everything out. They would also have to remove that wrap to prove to me the paint is good.

Still, it's a tough sell
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
orourkj
Rep

I'd love that car if it wasn't rebuilt. So forget it, too many questions.

As it is the 228ix is plenty fast. I probably will just get a JB+ or Dinan Sport. I am trying to read up on them - is it important to be able to adjust the boost in the fly with the Dinan app? I figured on setting it and forgetting about it.

Don't bite my head off - I know this question must have been asked and answered before somewhere in these forums.
Appreciate 1
Pillz1737.50
      07-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by orourkj View Post
I'd love that car if it wasn't rebuilt. So forget it, too many questions.

As it is the 228ix is plenty fast. I probably will just get a JB+ or Dinan Sport. I am trying to read up on them - is it important to be able to adjust the boost in the fly with the Dinan app? I figured on setting it and forgetting about it.

Don't bite my head off - I know this question must have been asked and answered before somewhere in these forums.
I won't bite your head off. I don't care for self-appointed user-moderators on this forum or others.

I think the ability to set different maps on the fly is completely unnecessary. The full Dinan S1 tune (I don't know about the cheaper product) is a civilised tune that can be driven without penalty in any conditions. I have to negotiate heavy city traffic as well as regular fast jaunts on the freeways and I cannot think of any circumstances in which I would want to switch maps. You will find that it really wakes up the 228i, especially by reworking the boost values. Bear in mind that the less expensive, plug and play Dinan product (sorry, I forget what it's called) does not influence certain engine outputs covered by the S1.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
orourkj
Rep

Thanks again. I am thinking on easing into tuning with a JB+ or Dinantronics sport. Neither have warranty protection, but neither should present a problem if I remove them before bringing it to a dealer - correct?

Sounds like these two are basically identical other than the Dinan bluetooth capability and app. Any reason why my BMW dealer would be more forgiving to a Dinan unit since they are a Dinan dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Don't worry too much about BMW service advisors. In my experience across two dealerships, one of which is a Dinan licensee, the other not, they're very cool about it. I tell them upfront and even identify SAs who tune their own cars (often older M3s). There's no point in making a fuss until a warranty claim gets disputed on the basis of non-factory mods but that is very unlikely if you do not thrash the car. Or track it. I also advise people to get Dinan mods installed by a really reputable indie tuner shop rather than a Dinan-licensed dealer as I am not convinced of the expertise of dealer staff with Dinan products and I prefer to have a bit of a personal relationship with the tech. All my mods were installed by one of two guys I know by name.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Having had the JB Stage 1 (+) on my 228 for over 10k miles I can say it's worth the money if you don't want to deal with changing anything else. It really woke the car up. I love it. I haven't had any complications whatsoever. I drive in Sport most of the time and just took a road trip to Syracuse from South Carolina and didn't skip a beat. I'm at 61+K miles now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pillz1737.50
      07-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
orourkj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Having had the JB Stage 1 (+) on my 228 for over 10k miles I can say it's worth the money if you don't want to deal with changing anything else. It really woke the car up. I love it. I haven't had any complications whatsoever. I drive in Sport most of the time and just took a road trip to Syracuse from South Carolina and didn't skip a beat. I'm at 61+K miles now.

Is this what you have:

http://www.burgertuning.com/stage_1_...ce_tuners.html
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Is this what you have:

http://www.burgertuning.com/stage_1_...ce_tuners.html
Yep that's it. Took me all of 5 minutes to install. Disconnect neg battery terminal and install. Reconnect and enjoy. I did put a little clear silicone on the seams of the housing just to make sure it was water proof. Added I think 4 psi across the whole rpm range. Above 3k rpm is a lot of fun. In 6th going 75-80 there's no need to downshift. It just pulls. If you downshift to 4th and mash it you are in triple digits quickly. I got it from x-treme performance. He's a vendor in here. Shipping was prompt. Mike is great to work with.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #14
orourkj
Rep

Quote:
Yep that's it. Took me all of 5 minutes to install. Disconnect neg battery terminal and install. Reconnect and enjoy. I did put a little clear silicone on the seams of the housing just to make sure it was water proof. Added I think 4 psi across the whole rpm range. Above 3k rpm is a lot of fun. In 6th going 75-80 there's no need to downshift. It just pulls. If you downshift to 4th and mash it you are in triple digits quickly. I got it from x-treme performance. He's a vendor in here. Shipping was prompt. Mike is great to work with.
This is better than the JB+ because that only adjusts the Boost, and this Stage 1 covers boost, timing, and fueling? Do I have that right?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is better than the JB+ because that only adjusts the Boost, and this Stage 1 covers boost, timing, and fueling? Do I have that right?
That's correct. Little more spendy but worth it. Oh and I added a drop in aFe filter.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #16
orourkj
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like this is the one I will do. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like this is the one I will do. Thanks for your help!
You are very welcome. I'm glad I could add some of my observations.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #18
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Wish that had a Stage 1 kit for the B46/48 engines... Looks like they only have the JB+ or JB4... JB+ doesn't do it for me because it's based on 1 sensor.. JB4 seems like a waste of $$ because it's meant for those that don't want to stay stock.
      07-19-2017, 05:10 AM   #19
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Quote:
Wish that had a Stage 1 kit for the B46/48 engines... Looks like they only have the JB+ or JB4... JB+ doesn't do it for me because it's based on 1 sensor.. JB4 seems like a waste of $$ because it's meant for those that don't want to stay stock.
If you wait long enough I'm sure it will eventually make it to the market. Eventually either I will go full bolt on or get something new. So this is perfect for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
justin4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i white

I was able to score a mint m235i 2014 in january it had every option and it was a 6 speed. Just wait it out and continue to look, you'll eventually find something you like. Looking out of state is good too.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #21
orourkj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin4 View Post
I was able to score a mint m235i 2014 in january it had every option and it was a 6 speed. Just wait it out and continue to look, you'll eventually find something you like. Looking out of state is good too.
Yeah - I bet I know just about every M235ix for sale in the entire country. I continue looking, but the going rate for a low mileage car is mid to high $30Ks. To get one below $30K I'd have to go way up in mileage.

I've bought a lot of cars and do a good job knowing what's out there, and know when I have a good deal. So far the M235ix/M240ix is holding its value hard, and the private sale deals are even worse than the dealers!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #22
CrayonsTastePurple
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

Quote:
Yeah - I bet I know just about every M235ix for sale in the entire country. I continue looking, but the going rate for a low mileage car is mid to high $30Ks. To get one below $30K I'd have to go way up in mileage.

I've bought a lot of cars and do a good job knowing what's out there, and know when I have a good deal. So far the M235ix/M240ix is holding its value hard, and the private sale deals are even worse than the dealers!
Have you seen this one?

http://www.bmwhenderson.com/certifie...0d2fc25342.htm

The miles aren't "low" low but they aren't bad (under 28K when I test drove it). From what I could tell the interior and exterior are in very good shape. The price has also dropped almost a grand in the last 2 weeks so there's that.

I wanted this car badly and very nearly bought it, but I ended up buying a very low mileage 228 instead as I just couldn't justify paying nearly nine grand more for a performance car that would spend most of its time as a daily driver stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.
Appreciate 0