E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Need Urgent Help (Transmission)

07-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
duplicities
Private
Rep
Drives: WTB: SG(M) N54 135i w/ Coral.

Need Urgent Help (Transmission)

A possum messed my car up and everythings finally back together and good. Only problem is I need to fill my transmission fluid, but the fill plug has a large, sort of-driveshaft component (bar) in the way. How did you all get access to the fill plug with this in the way?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Unbolt the driveshaft with an impact gun. If you don't have an impact gun, the driveshaft will spin. Use a screw driver through the u-joint and use it to put leverage against the chassis. Then you can use an E-torx socket and rachet to unbolt.

You only need to unbolt one side and then you can let it hang. You can support it with a bungee cord or zip tie if you want.

I know you're just filling, but for future reference if you didn't already know....ALWAYS remove the fill plug FIRST. If you drain the fluid first, then come to find out your fill bolt is seized.....

Also note trans fill temp. It's suppose to something like 95C for proper fill level.

If you haven't already (and depending on mileage ), I would replace the pan w/ integrated filter, mech unit connector sleeve, and the sealing sleeves and the bridge looking seal between the mech unit and trans body. The fluid is expensive so might as well do the preventative maintenance along with it
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
duplicities
Private
Rep
Drives: WTB: SG(M) N54 135i w/ Coral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
Unbolt the driveshaft with an impact gun. If you don't have an impact gun, the driveshaft will spin. Use a screw driver through the u-joint and use it to put leverage against the chassis. Then you can use an E-torx socket and rachet to unbolt.

You only need to unbolt one side and then you can let it hang. You can support it with a bungee cord or zip tie if you want.

I know you're just filling, but for future reference if you didn't already know....ALWAYS remove the fill plug FIRST. If you drain the fluid first, then come to find out your fill bolt is seized.....

Also note trans fill temp. It's suppose to something like 95C for proper fill level.

If you haven't already (and depending on mileage ), I would replace the pan w/ integrated filter, mech unit connector sleeve, and the sealing sleeves and the bridge looking seal between the mech unit and trans body. The fluid is expensive so might as well do the preventative maintenance along with it
Funny you replied now, thank you for the help but we actually already finished. Very good tips, especially about the fill plug first. To anyone who reads this and takes advice from this thread, the fill plug is an absolute BISH to get off.

By the way, my car literally took the 7 quarts recommended... Knew I lost a lot of fluid but wasnt expecting it to be that much.
Appreciate 0