E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Thinking of road corse tracking my e92 335xi need advice

07-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
DailyN54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi, 08 335i

Thinking of road corse tracking my e92 335xi need advice

First off is this a good platform to race with? I have BC Racing coilovers, 18inch APEX wheels with 255 Federal RS-R tires, front bushings have all been replaced with solid bushings. I have UUC swaybars on their way and plan on doing m3 rear control arms and soild bushings in the rear as well. Once all that is done I will have the car corner balanced and aligned. I also am getting high temp brake fluid and track rated pads. Is there anything else I should do so that I'm ready to run the car on the track? I will be running a stock map to keep power down to around 300awhp. How does the 335xi hold up on the track? The reason I am asking is a lot of the work I am going to do has not been done yet and I have a friend who is in my ear constantly talking crap that my car is going to be a pig and I'm wasting my money. Is he right? If after setting up the car is it just going to be a waste of money or can this car actually be a formidable track car?

Thanks.
Hexon RR700's, Hexon Inlets, MMP Outlets, VK Motorwerks Catless downpipes, VK Motorwerks Oil Cooler kit, BMS CAI, Whey Protein powder, Wagner Evo 2 Competition FMIC, 3.5 bar maf, BMS catch can, ETS Chargepipe with Tial BOV, Fuel-It Stage 3 Platinum kit with PI. All tuned by Ken@Wedge! Suspension: Stock 6" XI lift kit...11.13@133.2mph. Speedtech Gtx3582r single in the works.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Sounds like this is your first event. You don't need anything else. Out drive the car, then worry about mods.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
^He's right.

To answer your question, yes these cars are pigs especially the xis. You're wasting your money turning it into a track car.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

I think you can turn this chassis into a good track car but it'll cost you!

I also think any car made after 2004ish is packed with too many safety measures/nannies and it takes away from the driving experience. Even with traction control off, there is still alot going on in the background
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyN54 View Post
First off is this a good platform to race with? I have BC Racing coilovers, 18inch APEX wheels with 255 Federal RS-R tires, front bushings have all been replaced with solid bushings. I have UUC swaybars on their way and plan on doing m3 rear control arms and soild bushings in the rear as well. Once all that is done I will have the car corner balanced and aligned. I also am getting high temp brake fluid and track rated pads. Is there anything else I should do so that I'm ready to run the car on the track? I will be running a stock map to keep power down to around 300awhp. How does the 335xi hold up on the track? The reason I am asking is a lot of the work I am going to do has not been done yet and I have a friend who is in my ear constantly talking crap that my car is going to be a pig and I'm wasting my money. Is he right? If after setting up the car is it just going to be a waste of money or can this car actually be a formidable track car?

Thanks.
Can you be competitive? Depends on your skill and how much you are willing to spend.

Can you go out and have a good time? Absolutely!

The things I dont like about this car for track purposes: heavy, not enough brakes for the weight, soft bushings, suspension (sways, shocks, etc.), open diff rear and center. If you can conquer most of these issues its not a bad track car at all. Its not EVO or GTR capable but definitely better than some other choices I have driven before.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #6
DailyN54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi, 08 335i

I don't plan on competing but I don't want to spend a ton of money on suspension and breaks only to find out that the car is going to perform poorly on the track. I would like to hear from people who have tracked it and their experiences.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
I don't plan on competing but I don't want to spend a ton of money on suspension and breaks only to find out that the car is going to perform poorly on the track. I would like to hear from people who have tracked it and their experiences.
xDrive is terrible for tracks. Not to mention there's not many front suspension parts available compared to the i models. RWD 335i with an LSD is okay, nothing special though. You'd be much better off buying a brz, e36, etc.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
I think you can turn this chassis into a good track car but it'll cost you!

I also think any car made after 2004ish is packed with too many safety measures/nannies and it takes away from the driving experience. Even with traction control off, there is still alot going on in the background
If so, why did the e90 335i get almost same time lap like a e46 m3 on nuburgring ring?
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 355

Quote:
I do track days in my 335i xdrive which is why I said what I said.

You aren't going to compete with the EVO's, STi's, or GTR's without putting more money in that you really want to. However, if you mod the things I mentioned before and are a good driver you won't end up in the back of the pack.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

It is fine for HPDE and noncompetitive track events. You can learn to use the torque and AWD to pull you through certain types of turns (#9 at The Glen for example). I've tracked mine pretty close to stock and had a blast.
In fact, if you have not been on the track before I would not worry too much about mods other than fresh brake fluid and decent tires. It can take a couple of sessions before you really start pushing these cars to their limit.

After that? Well, you might decide you really love the platform and won't mind throwing some bucks and turn it into a nasty, heavy, all weather fighter. Or you'll go for a more sure competitive bet with a car that's lighter and a bit more rotatable.

I for one would track it just to try and shut the blabby friend up.
Appreciate 0