E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M3 carbon roof swap

07-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
homemade_f81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i, 2020 M2CS

M3 carbon roof swap

Sorry if this topic has already been covered - I've searched and haven't been able to find an answer. A couple of months ago we had a strong hail storm and the roof of my car now looks like a golf ball. Instead of repairing the metal roof I'm contemplating replacing it with an m3 carbon fiber one. Perfect time to get rid of the sunroof and drop some weight.

There are a couple of junk yards near me that have good uses roofs but I will need to remove it from the frame. How difficult it is it to remove the carbon roof without damaging it? Anyone have experience with this? Any tips or special tools? I've worked with metal roofs before and have no issues with removing the metal roof - it's just that I have zero experience with a carbon one.

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

i asked my body shop about this and its not a massive job, main issue is removing the glass. there is a chap in the UK who has a build thread and done this, i will find his details for you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
homemade_f81
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_G View Post
i asked my body shop about this and its not a massive job, main issue is removing the glass. there is a chap in the UK who has a build thread and done this, i will find his details for you
That would be awesome, I'm really keen on finding details on how to remove the carbon roof without damaging it. The glass and epoxying it back in don't really worry me.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:58 AM   #4
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=rajb

here is his build thread, all the pics have gone but i know he has done this mod, maybe worth sending him a PM
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
homemade_f81
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_G View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=rajb

here is his build thread, all the pics have gone but i know he has done this mod, maybe worth sending him a PM
Thanks, Josh. I reached out to him to see if he can shed some light on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishpowah View Post
Sorry if this topic has already been covered - I've searched and haven't been able to find an answer. A couple of months ago we had a strong hail storm and the roof of my car now looks like a golf ball. Instead of repairing the metal roof I'm contemplating replacing it with an m3 carbon fiber one. Perfect time to get rid of the sunroof and drop some weight.

There are a couple of junk yards near me that have good uses roofs but I will need to remove it from the frame. How difficult it is it to remove the carbon roof without damaging it? Anyone have experience with this? Any tips or special tools? I've worked with metal roofs before and have no issues with removing the metal roof - it's just that I have zero experience with a carbon one.

Any help is appreciated.
Wait, you have junk yards with used carbon roof tops for sale? I've never heard of such a place.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
homemade_f81
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall View Post
Wait, you have junk yards with used carbon roof tops for sale? I've never heard of such a place.
It's not roof tops - it's still installed in the car, that's the part that concerns me the most. It's the difficulty of the removal process that worries me. If it was already a removed roof top I'd be all over it.
Appreciate 1