BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Has anyone purchased a used M2 yet?

07-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
dz89
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 - 6MT

Has anyone purchased a used M2 yet?

Hi all,

In the market for a new M! After driving the 2 and 4, I'm leaning more towards the 2.

There are a number of used ones starting to pop up on carsales.
Just wondering if anyone has bought used (second hand) yet? What price are people paying for '16 build?
The advertised price of most private sellers are still around $100k, but I know a number of dealers have stock on new cars.

There's one on carsales at the moment <90K, anyone know the car?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-4667984
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Guess I'm not saying anything you haven't thought of but I would be avoiding anything that's been a dealer demo or press car. I had 2 test drives at different dealerships, one the sales rep initially drove and had the traction control working hard within 3-4 minutes of a cold start! with the other drive the rep expressed his surprise I didn't thrash it as that what most do (I already knew it goes fast . At least someone who bought a new car is more likely to get it to operating temp before enjoying the performance
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 LCI, 21' X4 M40

I agree with David.m on this one. Not always the case, but you'd never know what they've done with the car during the ownership (mostly pre break-in).
But I guess you can go for an inspection with the seller, have a chat with him/her. And you can have some idea of if he/she is the type of the person who loves their car and takes great care of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 03:21 AM   #4
dz89
Private
Australia
Rep

Good points, and yes well aware of demos and how they can be driven. Cars have warranty and they're built to be pushed, having said that you'd obviously prefer a one owner who's looked after their car.

My queries were more around pricing of second hand M2s - and if anyone had gone through that process either with dealer or private.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #5
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

There's a brand new LBB M2 in Brisbane. Immaculate. Has AirPlay.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 03:20 AM   #6
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz89 View Post

There's one on carsales at the moment <90K, anyone know the car?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-4667984
Hmmm
Look like rosary beads or some similar religious artifact in the centre console. Beware, he or she prays to the gods on each drive!
Appreciate 1
Dave-A85.00
      07-19-2017, 02:47 AM   #7
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi All,

A few weeks back I ordered an LBB MY18 LCI ... I'd spent quite a bit of time reviewing the (small) 2nd hand market and it seemed to me that I could buy a new car for the same (or less) than what was being advertised. I just had to wait ...

I'd not seen this example at the time ... although that probably wouldn't have changed my mind. I was able to secure corporate pricing, which included 5 years of free servicing, so it probably still works out to be more economic than buying second hand.

One thing I noticed about this ad ... it claimed that the car was perfect mechanically ... that always leads me to think that there is some cosmetic defect/blemish that accounts for the discount on offer..?

Anyway, the only problem now is that I have to wait until mid-November for delivery!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
dz89
Private
Australia
Rep

What benefits aside from the servicing did the corporate part enable? I have access to this too but I don't think it does much to the purchase price - it's what you can negotiate!

Brand new full spec M2 with a sunroof is around $110k drive away from my research!
Demos are 10-12K less
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #9
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What benefits aside from the servicing did the corporate part enable? I have access to this too but I don't think it does much to the purchase price - it's what you can negotiate!
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure ... the first BMW dealer (BMW Melbourne) made a big deal about being entitled to corporate pricing. Maybe it helps the dealer with the pricing assistance they can get from BMW Corporate..?

I didn't care what the means by which I minimised the price was ... but the savings on the service charges (I negotiated it to be 5 years) are likely to be substantial. I get my X6 serviced by SouthernBM, and the guys there told me that an M3 was around $5k per annum to maintain *properly*.

An M2 isn't going to be massively different. So even if you call BS on the $5k (and let's say its only $2k for the M2), its still a $10k saving over 5 years.

Worth having, right..?

Quote:
Brand new full spec M2 with a sunroof is around $110k drive away from my research!
Demos are 10-12K less
We purchased an MY18 LCI DCT with heated seats & lumbar support (both of these are optional in the LCI, along with the alarm in MY18). When the dealer we bought from priced the car up, the on-road cost of it was $116k. I know that's just RRP + taxes & rego, but this was the starting point for negotiation. Is your price for the M2 Pure..?

I also asked about Demo cars: I was happy to take a demo car, but I wasn't prepared to pay any $'s for a sunroof (I have them in both my cars, and don't use them at all). Both the dealers only had cars with sunroof's and neither was going to provide much discount. Maybe if I bought something that was sitting in storage, but that meant a sunroof and extra $'s.

How's your car search going...?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 01:51 AM   #10
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure ... the first BMW dealer (BMW Melbourne) made a big deal about being entitled to corporate pricing. Maybe it helps the dealer with the pricing assistance they can get from BMW Corporate..?

I didn't care what the means by which I minimised the price was ... but the savings on the service charges (I negotiated it to be 5 years) are likely to be substantial. I get my X6 serviced by SouthernBM, and the guys there told me that an M3 was around $5k per annum to maintain *properly*.

An M2 isn't going to be massively different. So even if you call BS on the $5k (and let's say its only $2k for the M2), its still a $10k saving over 5 years.

Worth having, right..?

We purchased an MY18 LCI DCT with heated seats & lumbar support (both of these are optional in the LCI, along with the alarm in MY18). When the dealer we bought from priced the car up, the on-road cost of it was $116k. I know that's just RRP + taxes & rego, but this was the starting point for negotiation. Is your price for the M2 Pure..?

I also asked about Demo cars: I was happy to take a demo car, but I wasn't prepared to pay any $'s for a sunroof (I have them in both my cars, and don't use them at all). Both the dealers only had cars with sunroof's and neither was going to provide much discount. Maybe if I bought something that was sitting in storage, but that meant a sunroof and extra $'s.

My corporate leasing company managed just under $100K for BMS DCT and Sunroof. Corporate price (Being a global company that supplies to BMW) was $3K more and that was through a contact (Super car driver) who does BMW drive days
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
dz89
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post

Worth having, right..?

Service package is definitely worth having, dealer reckons it's about $1500 to purchase this up front for 3 or 4 years of services... but is included at no cost if you utilize the corporate advantage. Plenty of cars new and used have this advertised in the adverts.

I've been quoted $110K drive away for a '17 build M2 (non LCI) - car had 200km on the clock so essentially brand new.

There's a heap of low km (<5000km) available for high 90s drive away.
I'd like to have a 17 build but would settle for a 16 If the price is right
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #12
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
My corporate leasing company managed just under $100K for BMS DCT and Sunroof. Corporate price (Being a global company that supplies to BMW) was $3K more and that was through a contact (Super car driver) who does BMW drive days
Sounds like a good price - I wasn't able to achieve anything like that, but was happy with the deal that we negotiated as it was what I could afford. I didn't want to stump up for the sunroof ... so it leaving that out of the equation made things easier.

If the AU market was offered the moon roof that seems to be on offer on the US (?), I'd go for it as it gives a nice colour contrast to the roof in the LBB colour that I've chosen (it'd work with white equally as well).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Service package is definitely worth having, dealer reckons it's about $1500 to purchase this up front for 3 or 4 years of services... but is included at no cost if you utilize the corporate advantage. Plenty of cars new and used have this advertised in the adverts.
I was quite surprised at this: I'd done a fair bit of checking before i walked into the showroom, and I hadn't found much of this in the ads. Anyway, I went back and rechecked CarSales this morning ... I found 3 ads (out of 33) that included the Executive Package Servicing: all were private sellers, and all were the higher mileage examples in Blue (NSW - 13k - $96k | VIC - 16.5k - $104k | QLD - 7k - $100k). So good if Blue is your thing ... which is my perfect colour!

Anyway, none of them appear to be sufficiently less than what I negotiated for a new MY18 LCI to tempt ... essentially why I went for a new one. I've just got to suffer the agony of the wait now

Quote:
I've been quoted $110K drive away for a '17 build M2 (non LCI) - car had 200km on the clock so essentially brand new.
That's effectively new: probably just been driven on a couple of demo rides by the dealer ... but a couple of questions to see what kind of value it is ...
1. M2 Pure or DCT
2. What options are on the car (e.g. Metallic Paint / Sunroof / Comfort Windows etc)

Quote:
There's a heap of low km (<5000km) available for high 90s drive away.
I'd like to have a 17 build but would settle for a 16 If the price is right
Again, I found this surprising considering that I'd checked the ads carefully before electing to buy new. Of the 33 ads on CarSales this morning, 24 are for used cars ... of those 24, 16 have 5K or less on the odometer. Of those 16, only 6 have a price of $99,500 ... and only one of them (a 2016 model) has a drive away price (of ~$99k).

One other private seller car (a 2016) there is likely to be under $100k when govt charges are added, but all others (assuming they fetch the listed price) would exceed $100k with stamp duty. I know you can negotiate, but maybe you are underestimating where the market is..? Of course, I could have misunderstood what you meant by "heap" as well..?

On the positive side, it shows that they are much sought after cars that retain their value reasonably well ... which is something that you, when you become an owner, will be able to enjoy as well!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #14
dz89
Private
Australia
Rep

Definitely after a LBB!

The prices I've mentioned have all been for full spec DCT models.

When I say a heap, well there were quite a few 5000km or slightly more which seem achievable for 95K

I think they're holding their value reasonably well given it is quite a new model however after another 12 months they will start to drop as more used ones are on the market and the LCI will be out etc etc.

Private sellers will struggle to get close to 100K as dealers are offering similar prices on demos and the price of a brand new one is 110K - so there has to be some separation in my view!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 12:43 AM   #15
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

Call up Brisbane BMW. They have one LBB M2 DCT with AirPlay. Which the MD has loaded full of M Performance kit. Brand new. Arrived in May/June
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:19 AM   #16
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
Call up Brisbane BMW. They have one LBB M2 DCT with AirPlay. Which the MD has loaded full of M Performance kit. Brand new. Arrived in May/June
When I went to the BMW first dealer, they tried to sell me M2's that were in stock somewhere in AU (there were 5 or so of them available). They all had sunroof's (which I considered to be worth $0) ... long story short, the dealer was sneaky about offering the LCI, and that made me distrust what was going on.

That said, the pricing on the LBB that was offered was fairly competitive. I have little doubt it was done on the basis of them trying to sell through stock cars before the LCI models hit the market (and doing so with the support of BMW corporate)... so you may find you get some good pricing on cars like this one that the dealers are likely to want to move.

Good luck dz89 - tell us how you go
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 03:57 AM   #17
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Guys there are tons of M2s out there. Yet, dealers are not willing to discount much and head office is not giving any support.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Im super keen to get a fully loaded MY18 LBB M2 LCI.

Any ideas as to what kind of price i should be aiming for?

Ive got corp discount already. In metro melb
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #19
K-Bag
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 OG M2

Seems recently the price has plummeted for used M2's. Some in the $80's not for 10 - 20kms.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:03 AM   #20
tsubi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

a lot of dealers have stock now (some with multiple), which maybe helping prices drop slightly??
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #21
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Got 1 long beach blue which has done less than 9000KMs , almost new condition. Someone traded it back into the same dealer after 1 year (lack of use?).

I traded in a X3 (2.5 years old), the total drive away price is low 80's.
Appreciate 0