BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Xpel installed over waxed surface?

07-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Xpel installed over waxed surface?

I visited the shop yesterday I'm planning on using for Xpel Ulitmate installation.. They are a certified installer and one of only 2 in my state, and have done many cars, including exotics and M2s and are a very well reviewed full service detailing shop.

They told me yesterday that after cleaning the surface, they apply a layer of Colinite wax to the panels to be covered, and then install the film. When pressed, they say they do it that way, despite it not being according to the book, so that the film becomes a little easier to remove to lessen the risk of pulling paint.

This has me concerned. Anybody had theirs done this way?
      07-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Xpel over wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
I visited the shop yesterday I'm planning on using for Xpel Ulitmate installation.. They are a certified installer and one of only 2 in my state, and have done many cars, including exotics and M2s and are a very well reviewed full service detailing shop.

They told me yesterday that after cleaning the surface, they apply a layer of Colinite wax to the panels to be covered, and then install the film. When pressed, they say they do it that way, despite it not being according to the book, so that the film becomes a little easier to remove to lessen the risk of pulling paint.

This has me concerned. Anybody had theirs done this way?
In training, it was briefly mentioned that you could do something like this with a quick wax or a detail spray to allow for a bit more movement in the film. I wouldn't think it would hurt on larger flatter areas, but on edges, it may could cause premature lifting.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
In training, it was briefly mentioned that you could do something like this with a quick wax or a detail spray to allow for a bit more movement in the film. I wouldn't think it would hurt on larger flatter areas, but on edges, it may could cause premature lifting.

Bruce
Theyre a serious detailing establishment with a good following and apparently have used this method many times. They also say they honor the 10 yr warranty wrt both parts And labor. I just wonder how Xpel responds to warranty reimbursement to the dealer if they install it this way. But I guess that would be the dealer's problem more than mine. Id love to hear from other Pro detailers if their experience comports with this.