THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M performance exhaust vs Dinan midpipe

07-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

M performance exhaust vs Dinan midpipe

Hey all, after weighing out the different options, I came to the conclusion that there's only a couple hundred dollars between the m performance exhaust and dinan mid pipe.

Just wanted to get some input from the community; if you had to choose one.. which one would it be? Just want to hear the car more. Already loving the burbles I get from stock but does the m performance add to it the same or more so than the Dinan midpipe?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9GunSlinger View Post
Hey all, after weighing out the different options, I came to the conclusion that there's only a couple hundred dollars between the m performance exhaust and dinan mid pipe.

Just wanted to get some input from the community; if you had to choose one.. which one would it be? Just want to hear the car more. Already loving the burbles I get from stock but does the m performance add to it the same or more so than the Dinan midpipe?

Thanks!!
I decided to go with the Dinan midpipe and stock exhaust, so I can't speak to the MPE. The sound produced in Sport & Sport+ is louder with tons more gurgles on shifts and overrun. It really makes a huge difference. When you stomp on the gas the sound is more of grunt, which sounds awesome. The cold start is pretty loud with a bit of a rasp to it for a few seconds, so if you are ok with that, the Dinan midpipe is a hell of a value. I like the option of being able to add the Dinan exhaust down the road as well (or the MPE as a couple of folks have done on here with some mod to the midpipe).
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

exactly what im looking for! awesome. ill need to look up some more videos and hopefully hear some more input!

thank yoU!
Appreciate 1
qballis270.00
      07-04-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Not sure if you saw my post in another thread. I just had the Dinan midpipe installed last week. Much cheaper than the MPE and I love the sound better. It's kind of like taking ear plugs out and finally hearing the real exhaust. It was always there, just much quieter. Pops and burbles are much louder and more crisp. Start up is enough to wake the wife in the morning, but I'm hoping she gets used to it. Haha.

I'm torn between getting the Dinan exhaust next or going with the stage 1 tuner. I heard the full Dinan exhaust in person at a local car show. It sounded really good, but I wanted to get just the midpipe first to see how I liked this improvement first before spending $1399 more when I might be just as happy without the full exhaust.

I kind of like the idea of making this car a stock looking sleeper, and just doing the midpipe keeps the stock look but turns plenty of heads with the sound.

Cold start up clip.

A few revs once warmed up. Music to my ears.

Appreciate 3
      07-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Not sure if you saw my post in another thread. I just had the Dinan midpipe installed last week. Much cheaper than the MPE and I love the sound better. It's kind of like taking ear plugs out and finally hearing the real exhaust. It was always there, just much quieter. Pops and burbles are much louder and more crisp. Start up is enough to wake the wife in the morning, but I'm hoping she gets used to it. Haha.

I'm torn between getting the Dinan exhaust next or going with the stage 1 tuner. I heard the full Dinan exhaust in person at a local car show. It sounded really good, but I wanted to get just the midpipe first to see how I liked this improvement first before spending $1399 more when I might be just as happy without the full exhaust.

I kind of like the idea of making this car a stock looking sleeper, and just doing the midpipe keeps the stock look but turns plenty of heads with the sound.

Cold start up clip.

yes i think i did see it! im in the exact same spot as you. i was debating on the exhaust but i think im going to go with the mid pipe and wheels (got AG M359 18x8.5 in 235/40 MPSS) and then when i get used to all of that i was thinking of pulling the trigger on the Dinan Elite Stage 1..So you like the mid pipe as it is?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cold start up clip.

yes i think i did see it! im in the exact same spot as you. i was debating on the exhaust but i think im going to go with the mid pipe and wheels (got AG M359 18x8.5 in 235/40 MPSS) and then when i get used to all of that i was thinking of pulling the trigger on the Dinan Elite Stage 1..So you like the mid pipe as it is?
Absolutely love it as is. If the car came like this, I may not have ever considered getting a new exhaust. I think you'll be pretty happy with this mod and some new wheels/shoes.

One member has paired the midpipe with the MPE (with some custom modding involved), but I've yet to see a sound clip of that. Would be interesting to compare the two.
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely love it as is. If the car came like this, I may not have ever considered getting a new exhaust. I think you'll be pretty happy with this mod and some new wheels/shoes.

One member has paired the midpipe with the MPE (with some custom modding involved), but I've yet to see a sound clip of that. Would be interesting to compare the two.
awesome. makes me feel good about the purchase then. did you install it yourself? do you know if there was any welding involved? or was it just mounting hardware and clamps
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

awesome. makes me feel good about the purchase then. did you install it yourself? do you know if there was any welding involved? or was it just mounting hardware and clamps
I work outside in the D.C. heat all day, so the last thing I wanted to do was spend a few hours under my hot car when I got home. Haha. Had the dealer install it for me for about $180 extra. No welding. Just need to cut the exhaust pipe and the midpipe is two pieces with 3 included clamps. Not too hard to do yourself, if you have some mechanical acumen, but like I said, it's friggin hot here and I didn't have the patience to do it myself that day. Haha.

If you do it yourself, read up on leveling the tips. Some guys have had issues with this, but the solution isn't too complicated.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I work outside in the D.C. heat all day, so the last thing I wanted to do was spend a few hours under my hot car when I got home. Haha. Had the dealer install it for me for about $180 extra. No welding. Just need to cut the exhaust pipe and the midpipe is two pieces with 3 included clamps. Not too hard to do yourself, if you have some mechanical acumen, but like I said, it's friggin hot here and I didn't have the patience to do it myself that day. Haha.

If you do it yourself, read up on leveling the tips. Some guys have had issues with this, but the solution isn't too complicated.
ah i see, ill need to find that thread. ill probably be having a shop install it for me but i dont think they have done this exact one before. wonder if i should provide them the instructions on leveling the tips
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I had the mid-pipe installed last Friday. I have NO complaints, the car has more than enough tone and snarl for me. In Sport and Sport+ it has enough presence to let you know it's not your average transportation device. Cruising at 75/80 mph - no drone at all and non intrusive in the cabin unless you step on it - which is fine!
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I had the mid-pipe installed last Friday. I have NO complaints, the car has more than enough tone and snarl for me. In Sport and Sport+ it has enough presence to let you know it's not your average transportation device. Cruising at 75/80 mph - no drone at all and non intrusive in the cabin unless you step on it - which is fine!
appreciate the input!! so definitely a noticeable improvement over stock
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
appreciate the input!! so definitely a noticeable improvement over stock
I'll second the no droning in the cabin. Was a little worried about that before getting it done. Nice and quiet in comfort mode. I coded off the ASD and it's even quieter now in the cabin on my commutes. Then, windows down and sport/sport +, she really comes alive and turns heads.

Dinan's instructions for install should have everything the shop would need for a proper install. They also speak to leveling the tips with a clockwise rotation of the rear section and what proper clearance is passing through the bracing that is near the middle clamp.
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome thank you! You coded the active sound off? In regards to coding, if you take the car to the dealer for oil changes.. don't they reset the system and coding as a result?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #14
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Awesome thank you! You coded the active sound off? In regards to coding, if you take the car to the dealer for oil changes.. don't they reset the system and coding as a result?
Yeah. With a wifi OBD adapter and Bimmercode app, you can code quite a bit. Just had my 10K service, and nothing was changed that I had coded.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. With a wifi OBD adapter and Bimmercode app, you can code quite a bit. Just had my 10K service, and nothing was changed that I had coded.
him ill have to look into this, i just started a thread on a company called Bimmer Coders, was going to have them do it for me but everyone is recommending i just do it myself with bimmercode,

just wanted to code some basic things on there like getting the speedometer on the instrument cluster among other things.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #16
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Sums it up - my first mod on the car was coding the ASD off. With the mid pipe the real sound is there when it should be and not faking it!

Quote:
I coded off the ASD and it's even quieter now in the cabin on my commutes. Then, windows down and sport/sport +, she really comes alive and turns heads.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #17
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Sums it up - my first mod on the car was coding the ASD off. With the mid pipe the real sound is there when it should be and not faking it!
Concur! Did the same.
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #18
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep

just got the mid pipe installed..the sound is INTOXICATING. I love it, def recommend to anyone on the fence about it. quick question, when re installing the stock mid pipe..am i supposed to weld one of the ends back on??

when i got it installed the shop said i would but i thought there wasn't any welding involved.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #19
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
just got the mid pipe installed..the sound is INTOXICATING. I love it, def recommend to anyone on the fence about it. quick question, when re installing the stock mid pipe..am i supposed to weld one of the ends back on??

when i got it installed the shop said i would but i thought there wasn't any welding involved.
Quote:
quick question, when re installing the stock mid pipe..am i supposed to weld one of the ends back on??

The DINAN midpipe can be installed with no welding, but in the process of removing the stock midpipe and separating the midpipe and exhaust, the pipe has to be cut.

Those two pipes are the same diameter and butt up against one another when you reinstall the stock midpipe. A clamp would leak, so the two ends need to be welded back together.

The difference with installing the DINAN midpipe is that one end fits inside the other and are mated with a clamp making welding optional.
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #20
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:

Thanks!!
I think I've talked about this before on another thread but here is my take. M performance alone was great on startup but after that, it wasn't anything too special. Too quiet for my taste. The Dinan midpipe on stock was quieter than M performance and but the open throttle sound did sound pretty decent but a little "tin canny or raspy." Hard to describe. No drone on either of them. If I had to choose, I'd stick with M performance for sound over Dinan midpipe.

However, with both M performance and Dinan, it is music to my ears. Loud on startup and grumbles like a muscle car when just driving in first gear at the onset. It sounds awesome on open throttle and NO DRONE. I would never go back. It is perfect with both in my opinion. Just a pain in the butt to get them to go on together as the inlet of the dinan and outlet of M performance are the same 3". Damn Dinan for making it hard for us!

Get both!
Appreciate 2
Scadam245.50
      07-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
havinfun
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
I think I've talked about this before on another thread but here is my take. M performance alone was great on startup but after that, it wasn't anything too special. Too quiet for my taste. The Dinan midpipe on stock was quieter than M performance and but the open throttle sound did sound pretty decent but a little "tin canny or raspy." Hard to describe. No drone on either of them. If I had to choose, I'd stick with M performance for sound over Dinan midpipe.

However, with both M performance and Dinan, it is music to my ears. Loud on startup and grumbles like a muscle car when just driving in first gear at the onset. It sounds awesome on open throttle and NO DRONE. I would never go back. It is perfect with both in my opinion. Just a pain in the butt to get them to go on together as the inlet of the dinan and outlet of M performance are the same 3". Damn Dinan for making it hard for us!

Get both!
It seems to me that another alternative is to keep the stock midpipe but do a resonator delete (probably just the front resonator based on feedback in another thread which reported that deleting only the second resonator resulted in no sound improvement but both resonators deleted got similar sound to the Dinan midpipe) and then add on the M performance exhaust to slightly lower the pitch of the exhaust. This method maintains the stock diameter interface to the muffler so the MPE mounts in the standard fashion and avoids the problem of interfacing the MPE to the Dinan midpipe. So far, I don't believe anyone has reported implementing this option.

By the way, one of the videos for the 2018 M240 states that a "new feature" is a resonator delete to improve the exhaust sound (not confirmed by BMW Genius). I will report on that when my 2018 M240 arrives in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #22
Mjpgolf1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23 Vert

Can anyone confirm if they have run the Dinan mid pipe on the f23 M240i convertible.
Appreciate 0