THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Missing HU_NBT2 Labels - Wait for new PSDZDATA?

07-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
josedebardi
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Missing HU_NBT2 Labels - Wait for new PSDZDATA?

Hey All!

So had my M240i for 2 days and just plugged in E-SYS and tweaked some this n that.

All good expect the HU_NBT2 ECU has no labels, I'm guessing the software on it is too new for the PSDZDATA (3.61.5) I have which appears to be the latest.

I guess I'll just have to wait for an updated dataset to be released? Or is there another way I can 'hand code' what I want?

I have a background in software engineering and am well versed in bitmaps etc if that's what it takes!

Screenshot here of what I get attached.
Attached Images

2Res Del, MP Exht/Crbn Splr/Spltr/Crbn Intr/Dfsr
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
josedebardi
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Following on from the above, would still like to know how to solve it, however I have found a workaround, but it's not for the faint hearted!!

So I used TokenMasters NCD/CAFD Tool to open the HU_NBT2 ncd file. Found the parameter I wanted to change, then looked at which byte, and which bits within that control that setting.

Opened the ncd file in notepad, found the byte in question, used a 'programmers calculator' to work out the new hex value for the byte. So far this was OK and no 'too' scary thanks as mentioned to my background in computer programming, so am happy with hex/bytes/bitmasks.

Then the tricky bit. So I opened my edited version of the ncd file in the NCD/CAFD Tool and it came up with a checksum error. After some googling I found the files are encoded using this schema https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SREC_%28file_format%29

So following the examples on that I also then edited the file to have the correct checksum. It's no too complicated, just some adding up and then reversing some bits. Again if you have your calculator app in 'programmers' mode it does this all for you. The NCD/CAFD Tool now opened the file with no errors.

So moment of truth, saved the edited file back in the Data/CAF folder, and told e-sys to code FDL. HU rebooted with no errors on coding and my changes worked

Work of warning...
I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE IN SOFTWARE/PROGRAMMING!!!!!!

Props to TokenMaster for providing all the parts to make this possible!
2Res Del, MP Exht/Crbn Splr/Spltr/Crbn Intr/Dfsr
Appreciate 0