Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-02-2017, 02:19 AM   #1
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 2001 E39 535i MSp

Key problem

Last night when finishing washing my 2014 M5 I could hear this clicking noise coming from the car. It sounded like it was coming from the doors. I had the remote key in my pocket but I was sure none of the buttons were being pressed. When I went to open the car this morning it took a couple of attempts of pressing the unlock button to open the drivers door as the courtesy function didn't seem to be working. Then when I tried to turn the ignition on I got the message no remote came up on the dash so I put the key next to the steering column and was able to start the car. I then went and got the other key and the same thing happened also the profile in the car seemed to have changed. Could the problem be that both battery's in the remote's need changing or something else.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 03:22 AM   #2
Qwertym5
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F13 M6GC CP

I note the same thing when washing the car if remote nearby, the car locks and unlocks and sometimes folds mirrors. Also when I first got it I often thought that the comfort access wasn't working but you soon get used to knowing how to touch the door handles, I find touching top and bottom in a light pinch always works. I have also had, but rarely, the key missing message even tho the key is on me but waving the key nearer and it starts. But never had all three together.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 04:43 AM   #3
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers for that. I'm probably looking too hard for a fault instead of getting to know the car. My main concern was the profile the drivers seat pulled it's self right forwards and the steering column and mirrors adjusted them selves to a setting not in any profile or as I had left them.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Qwertym5
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F13 M6GC CP

Does sound like some sort of oddity but unless it strongly persists just write it off to modern electronics etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
Maximo1970
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

Sounds like you could have a faulty door handle. Mine does the same, even to a point where if you walk up to the car some days it will unlock as you get close. I need to find time to get mine booked in to get it sorted out.

One other thing to watch out for, make sure it locks and stay's locked. Once your outside of the proximity sensor it's fine. I have my mirrors set to fold as the car is locked and noticed a few times the mirrors fold then unfold straight away.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

A week ago had my local BMW dealer fit an electric tow hitch as I need to toe a small Motorcycle trailer. I have been having a few electrical problems . I E when getting out of the car you hear this rapid click noise from the doors which stops when you put the keys back into the car or walk a little further away from the car also when trying to turn on the ignition you nearly always have to hold the keys next to the steering column as you get the message up on the dash saying no remote close. Then last night I had a call from my tracker company saying there it a theft alert on your car which was sat in my garage. After speaking to them they said there was a mains power drop so I plugged in a trickle charger which I checked this morning and it showed the battery was fully charged. A few hours later I had another alert from the tracker and after speaking to them again they said you have had a power drain but it is showing the battery is back at 13v. I then tried to start the car and after having to hold the key next to the column again I had the message that there was a massive battery discharge if problem carries on call you service dealer. I called the dealer I brought the car from and asked if the previous owner had any problems, he said no and while I was talking to him he said he was looking on a bimmer forum site and it looks like a few people have had problems with battery discharge after having an after market toe bar fitted. Something to do with the wires from the toe bar not being fitted where they should have been. I have had a look on the site but can't seem to find any thing about this problem. I have call my BMW dealer and the car is booked to go back to them in just over a weeks time. Any advice about this problem will be handy when I take it back to them.

Last edited by kenazaki; 07-04-2017 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Problem found

Picked the car up from my BMW dealership this afternoon and yes it's a faulty nearside rear door handle that's at fault it keeps waking the car up so draining the battery. Just got to wait for a new handle to arrive and be fitted all under warranty. They have disconnected the power to the faulty handle so I shouldn't have any more battery drain.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
Maximo1970
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenazaki View Post
Picked the car up from my BMW dealership this afternoon and yes it's a faulty nearside rear door handle that's at fault it keeps waking the car up so draining the battery. Just got to wait for a new handle to arrive and be fitted all under warranty. They have disconnected the power to the faulty handle so I shouldn't have any more battery drain.
That's likely to be the same problem I'm having. I'd be interested in knowing the cost once you've had it sorted. Just for reference, I don't have a warranty on mine so will have to cover it myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I am still waiting for the near side rear door handle to arrive and while I have been waiting I have had the drivers door handle go down as well so I'm now waiting for two handles. As for the cost mine will be replaced under warranty but I will ask what I would have had to pay if they wouldn't have been covered.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
Maximo1970
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, mines out of warranty so some idea of costs would be great. Funny enough after the downpour yesterday afternoon my comfort access is working again on the drivers side. So it's got to be a short somewhere, could mean there is design fault i'd guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine would sometimes work and then not, my main worry was the battery drain. I had a call from my BMW dealer this morning telling me that the new handles are in stock so it's booked in for a couple of weeks time as that is the earliest they have a loan car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #12
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Problem sorted

I have now had the two door handles fitted. On picking the car up all seemed fine but when I got home I couldn't lock the drivers door then it would lock but I had trouble unlocking with the key fob or the handles. I called my BMW dealer and told them of the problems they ask me to return the car the following morning (Saturday) and I pick it back up this afternoon (Monday) all working fine. They didn't go into details but said the drivers side handle wasn't fitted correctly but is now. I believe the cost of the handles is just over £200 each and they take around 3/4 hour to fit.
Appreciate 0