E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > Later bmw Idrive screen surround

06-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
Later bmw Idrive screen surround

Perfect for anyone looking to do a tablet install, or a retrofit.

I had a 6.4 inch Sony android phone/phablet fitted inside this perfectly, and slotted into the centre dash grill on top of the dashboard. Ideal for music,nav,internet etc. See here for what i did but you may have other ideas.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146489

I think this is from an f20, it is not the massive 8.8" widescreen one.

I have left the legs on it in case you want this to a tablet install but they just unscrew if not.

First £50 secures.
      07-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
I've been thinking of something like this for a while, but (and forgive my stupidity here) how secure is this to leave on the dash? I assume you need a sim card in the device you put in there - or do you use another access point / hotspot?
Does it come with the whole top speaker grille, or do I need to do a lot of the DIY you did with yours?
Very interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Hi, It is very secure. I had sat most of the time just inside the vent without the legs being screwed in underneath. But you can attach the legs to the plastic in the void beneath the grill - you just pull out the dash vents panel with the start button on it and drill two holes . Then screw a screw through the holes in the legs into the plastic inside the dash. Simple.

Well I can include the grill in the sale with the housing and legs if you like. This will save you makign one (which took ages). So all you need to do is pop off your existing grill, and put in my grill with the housing. The legs hang down inside the dash then and you can screw it in or not, your choice. As i say, it didnt fall about whilst unscrewed. It sAt in the grill perfectly happy.
      07-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I didnt use a sim card as i was just using its bluetooth function for wireless music - it was a wireless media and downloaded nav maps device for me. But if you want an internet connection then use you just insert a sim card and leave it. Job done.

OR yes connect it wirelessly using wifi to your phone as a hotspot.

But i used navmii which is free offline downloaded maps and just as good as google maps imho.
      07-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep

Garage List
sold