M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

06-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Drivetrain Malfunction, Multiple Misfires, getting worse...

Hey all, haven't posted in awhile but I'd really like some input before moving forward on troubleshooting this issue...

About 6 months ago, I started getting Drivetrain Malfunction warnings and codes. Unfortunately I don't have the codes from those occurrences but I can assume they are the same as they are now. I did some general troubleshooting, ended up pulling off my JB and the problem went away. I'm pretty busy so I tossed the JB on the shelf and didn't think about it much until recently.

I've again (without the JB installed) had the Drivetrain Malfunctions come up. This time I went ahead and got Rheingold set up and pulled the codes which tell me the following...

- Combustion misfires, several cylinders: Fuel Injection is switched off
- Combustion misfires, several cylinders: detected
- Combustion misfire, cylinder 3: Fuel injection is switched off
- Combustion misfire, cylinder 3: detected

I've done quite a bit of reading and understand that the problem is likely one of the following...

- Spark plugs
- Coil packs
- Injectors
- Ionic control module (does the 2013 F10 M5 have this? I didn't see anything that looked like the part online looked like)

To start the troubleshooting process, I swapped the coil from cyl 1 with the coil from cyl 3.

I also went ahead and cleaned the air filters (K&N) and the MAF's... Since the problem is not being caused (just exacerbated) by the JB, I went ahead and reinstalled it...

Took the car out again this morning and got the exact same codes and report for the same cyl 3 misfire. What confuses me is that it says misfire on several cylinders. Does that mean that only one was bad enough to pull fuel?

Assuming that I got my cyl # correct, this would rule out the coil. When looking at the engine from the front of the car, I swapped the front right coil with the one just behind it on the same side. I understand the numbering starts from the front right at 1 then goes front left, back to the next one on the right and zig zags the rest of the way. Can someone confirm that?

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned too much is battery. My battery is likely near its end of life and I saw one undervoltage code the last time I pulled codes (not today tho). May be completely unrelated however but thought it was worth mentioning...

Does this point to anything specific for anyone? I would have checked my plugs but couldn't locate my plug socket... I'm outside of dealer warranty but have an aftermarket warranty. I love working on the car but only have so much time so will take it to the shop if need be...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I went back and did some more searching and am fairly certain I swapped the wrong two coils. Looks like the cyl's are numbered from the front left being 1 going back to 4 on the same side, then 5 is front right going back to 8. I'll try swapping the real #3 and report back with findings...
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: After swapping the actual 3rd cylinder coil with #1, the misfire moved to #1. I've ordered all new coils and plugs and will replace them shortly. Will report back with results...
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
M5sklmnky
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

That should do it. I had something very similar with out the mod. Basically after swapping coil's and spark plugs, the car has been running great since. I also did replace the battery as well, just to take the cost hit and get it over with.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
Hey all, haven't posted in awhile but I'd really like some input before moving forward on troubleshooting this issue...

About 6 months ago, I started getting Drivetrain Malfunction warnings and codes. Unfortunately I don't have the codes from those occurrences but I can assume they are the same as they are now. I did some general troubleshooting, ended up pulling off my JB and the problem went away. I'm pretty busy so I tossed the JB on the shelf and didn't think about it much until recently.

I've again (without the JB installed) had the Drivetrain Malfunctions come up. This time I went ahead and got Rheingold set up and pulled the codes which tell me the following...

- Combustion misfires, several cylinders: Fuel Injection is switched off
- Combustion misfires, several cylinders: detected
- Combustion misfire, cylinder 3: Fuel injection is switched off
- Combustion misfire, cylinder 3: detected

I've done quite a bit of reading and understand that the problem is likely one of the following...

- Spark plugs
- Coil packs
- Injectors
- Ionic control module (does the 2013 F10 M5 have this? I didn't see anything that looked like the part online looked like)

To start the troubleshooting process, I swapped the coil from cyl 1 with the coil from cyl 3.

I also went ahead and cleaned the air filters (K&N) and the MAF's... Since the problem is not being caused (just exacerbated) by the JB, I went ahead and reinstalled it...

Took the car out again this morning and got the exact same codes and report for the same cyl 3 misfire. What confuses me is that it says misfire on several cylinders. Does that mean that only one was bad enough to pull fuel?

Assuming that I got my cyl # correct, this would rule out the coil. When looking at the engine from the front of the car, I swapped the front right coil with the one just behind it on the same side. I understand the numbering starts from the front right at 1 then goes front left, back to the next one on the right and zig zags the rest of the way. Can someone confirm that?

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned too much is battery. My battery is likely near its end of life and I saw one undervoltage code the last time I pulled codes (not today tho). May be completely unrelated however but thought it was worth mentioning...

Does this point to anything specific for anyone? I would have checked my plugs but couldn't locate my plug socket... I'm outside of dealer warranty but have an aftermarket warranty. I love working on the car but only have so much time so will take it to the shop if need be...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Hey! Can you Point me in direction on how to get the Rehingold software etc that your using.. thanks! Link be be great
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
Hey! Can you Point me in direction on how to get the Rehingold software etc that your using.. thanks! Link be be great
Damned. I would like to know this also. Thanks.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Flip
Did you solve it?
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

any of you guys experience vibration at cold start ? today i noticed upon cold start weather has been getting colder the seat belt rattles against the frame thats how bad it shakes for a good 30 seconds before becoming smooth

im thinking to replace all injectors and coil packs/plugs
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #9
F10-001
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
any of you guys experience vibration at cold start ? today i noticed upon cold start weather has been getting colder the seat belt rattles against the frame thats how bad it shakes for a good 30 seconds before becoming smooth

im thinking to replace all injectors and coil packs/plugs
Yes! I noticed the vibration in the cold months. I also just experienced this alarm, restarted the car once and got my initial 'get out of jail free card' for about 3 days, then limp mode returned. Mechanic found 4 misfires and fouled plugs and bad coils. I am getting all 8 coil packs and spark plugs replaced, and a tune up. I cannot do this myself, It will be pricey..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #10
ash1367
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 35i xdrive

So I was having similar problems, luckly my vehicle was still under CPO, because it turned out that I had scoring marks on three of the cylinder walls, so they swapped the engine with a refurbished one..... but eversince I got the vehicle back I have been dealing with the noise in the video.... have you guys experienced this ?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #11
F10-001
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Had to Replace Fuel Injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-001 View Post
Yes! I noticed the vibration in the cold months. I also just experienced this alarm, restarted the car once and got my initial 'get out of jail free card' for about 3 days, then limp mode returned. Mechanic found 4 misfires and fouled plugs and bad coils. I am getting all 8 coil packs and spark plugs replaced, and a tune up. I cannot do this myself, It will be pricey..
Ultimately, there were 3 fuel injectors misfiring that had to be replaced. Luckily it was covered by the Dealership as a known issue. Not a recall, but covered nontheless.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
Z06logan
Rep
Drives: 2013 blk f10 M5

Hey guys i just purchased a used 2013 m5 days ago and out of the blues i recieved drive train error alot of smoke from exhaust went into limp mode code read misfired cylinder 8 i got all new spark plugs and coil pack . 2days later at the traffic light medium throttle it happened again . Any help guys ?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #13
Z06logan
Rep

Drivetrain malfunction m5 f10 PLEASE HELP

I recently purchased a used M5 f10 2013 41k miles no warranty . Light acceleration triggered this and alot of smoke from tail pipes . After 5 mins parked engine off it went away . Checked code and it said cylinder 8 misfired . Changed all spark plugs and coil pack changed oil too . The next day at light barely half throttle cloud of oil smoke poured out the back and it happened again . Can anyone here help ? If its not the coil pack and spark plugs what could it be?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06logan View Post
I recently purchased a used M5 f10 2013 41k miles no warranty . Light acceleration triggered this and alot of smoke from tail pipes . After 5 mins parked engine off it went away . Checked code and it said cylinder 8 misfired . Changed all spark plugs and coil pack changed oil too . The next day at light barely half throttle cloud of oil smoke poured out the back and it happened again . Can anyone here help ? If its not the coil pack and spark plugs what could it be?
Injector
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Changed all spark plugs and coil pack changed oil too . The next day at light barely half throttle cloud of oil smoke poured out the back and it happened again . Can anyone here help ? If its not the coil pack and spark plugs what could it be?
If it is related to the injectors, BMW issued a "limited warranty extension" on the fuel injectors for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in service date. They did that in January of 2018. Then, in July of 2018 they extended the limited warranty for the high pressure fuel pumps for the same periods.

Perhaps chance a visit to a dealership to have them see if your problem might be one of those? I don't believe you have to be the original owner, it's for the vehicle.
Appreciate 2
His436.50
      12-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #16
Z06logan
Rep

Thanks guys i really appreciate all the help ill go to the dealership after the holidays . I love the car aside from this issue its the perfect daily in my opinion .
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #17
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Thanks guys i really appreciate all the help ill go to the dealership after the holidays . I love the car aside from this issue its the perfect daily in my opinion .
Yup as posted above sounds like an injector and BMW extended the warranty on them.

GL! Happy holidays
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #18
Z06logan
Rep

Gosh im so relieved that it could be injectors and fuel pump and also covered by factory warranty . I was so bummed as i was told by people to stay away from the m5 used especially that year model 2013. When that cloud of smoke came out i thought oh no there goes the engine ...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #19
Z06logan
Rep

Well its official . Im doomed . Bmw says there is damage to the cylinder 4. No possible repair only complete 40k engine replacement . Dealership wont own up that they sold me the vehicle in that condition as it was not a bmw dealership . Im devastated and i have owned the vehicle for 2 weeks ....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #20
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Well its official . Im doomed . Bmw says there is damage to the cylinder 4. No possible repair only complete 40k engine replacement . Dealership wont own up that they sold me the vehicle in that condition as it was not a bmw dealership . Im devastated and i have owned the vehicle for 2 weeks ....
Sorry to hear bud, did they tell you what was wrong with cylinder 4? I would have it taken to an Indy shop/engine show who specializes in these motors and get a second opinion. Sounds like your in the hook for repairs since the dealership is flaking in you anyway, may as well find a good shop and have it taken there for diagnosis at least. Hope it works out for you.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #21
luv135i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hit up ghassan for a rebuilt motor. Still will be about 13k with install but way better than 40k
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #22
luv135i
Major
Rep

Quote:
You buy the car in atlanta? From which dealership?
Appreciate 0