E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Dilema...lowering or changing size?

02-27-2006, 04:22 AM   #1
aarnt
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i

Dilema...lowering or changing size?

Hello to all, I am expecting my E90 this week, but I have some doubts on one single choice. You see, I live in Greece and the quality of the roads harms cars, as much as an unlucky compliment harms a woman . I always liked the 162 rims, but I was held back because of the possible cost of the tyre size, and the damages (and noise) when over potholes. I therefore choosed the 160s, which I like too, but they are definatelly not 162s.

I realized that they look a bit small inside the wheel dome after personal inspection, and I'm now thinking... should I replace 160s with 162s, or get the sport suspension? I like sports driving, but I don't want my spine to crack over potholes (as happens with the m-sport package).

So here you are, large rims with extra tyre cost, or sport suspension with less attractive rims?Sorry if you find this post off-topic, but it suits both rims and tyres
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

wheels would be a more visual change while the suspension would make the vehicle handle corners much better

if you're more unhappy with the looks, get wheels

if you're more unhappy with the handling, get sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
aarnt
Private
Rep

Thank you for replying! I have been told that handling is great even with the normal suspension, so I think I'll be going for the wheels. How about the extra cost of the tyre replacement? Any estimation? Will it be negligible or noticeable enough?

Thanx again
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #4
homerfromathens
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: saab convertible

well, i haven't ordered the car yet, but i plan to go for a 325xi e91 with 160 rims.

the all-wheel-drive 325 version has the bigger brakes of the 330, thus, awd drivers cant use 16" rims.
i would go for 16" instead of the 17" - just because of the comfort (noises).

anyway, let me know how the 17" behave in greece...

thx and enjoy!

PS: i am very sensitive regarding noises. i drive a saab convertible, and every little pothole has the impact of an earthquake...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
mikpap
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Greece
Rep

Garage List
About rims and tyres

I bought the 320i (E90) 10 months ago. I have sport suspension (Dynamic pack) with 159 rims (158 is stantard with this package). Would like also to put the 162 rims but there are 2 main reasons that I didn't go through tat option. First you have to consider about the extra cost for the rims and secondly the cost for the tires (17'' to 18'' rims have way too far different prices). You have to think also that the rear tires are 255mm in width with 162 rims in comparison with 225 with 158/159/160 rims. Finaly as you can see I live also in Greece. I love 162 rims but the greek roads are tragic.
      03-27-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
aarnt
Private
Rep

So that means that my choice to keep the 160s was right, though I might lower the suspension, but still not sure.Any of you have some experience with prices on tyres in Greece? I am a RFT fan and I don't know the availability in our weird market.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
homerfromathens
Private
Greece
Rep

it's great to see that there are other people from greece on this forum.

aarnt, i cant imagine how the 162 would behave on our roads.

how do your 17 inch rims behave?
are they ok?
any rattles or noises when driving on bad roads?

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
aarnt
Private
Rep

The 17" are ok, they were better with non run-flats in a e46, but still the car feels comfortable enough and sporty enough to drive.Though comfortable for me, it is not for my mother too because the RFTs are stiff as a rim of their own. Considering that I have a 320i, the 17" are lighter and it shows. Really the only reason I wanted the 162 is the looks, but 160s are good looking too. Now I'm thinking of lowering(M sport susp.), but I have not decided yet.

One notice. The 160s look bigger that they are. This happens because there are some spikes that reach the outer lip of the rim.

EDIT: I forgot, the car is too new to hear any rattles I guess, on reasonably bad roads it bumps more than usual cars, but on potholes the thud is a bit louder than expected. My car was built for the German market, I just brought it back after a business trip and I have seen slight differences with E90s built for Greece (in sound insulation and some other negligible things), but it could be the bad luck of my friend .
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
homerfromathens
Private
Greece
Rep

it's good to read that the 17" shouldnt ruine my days...
i also recognized that the 160s look bigger due to these spikes. that's why i like them, too.

i am wondering about the 'slight differences' that you mentioned. i couldn't find any between the greek version and the german one (was there some weeks ago). maybe except of one thing: in greece, they use to sell the cars more often with continental tires, while in germany it's easier to get a new e90 with michelin or bridgestone tires.
last month there was a test at auto-motor-sport regaring RFT and they found our that the michelin tires where much more comfortable than the rest...

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/t...ner.105466.htm

regarding your thoughts about installing a sportier suspension:
respect. i couldnt do it... (maybe i am too old... LOL)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
06330i
fresher den you
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2004 x3

Garage List
2006 E90, 330i  [0.00]
get the 162's, idk about the suspension though. it rides alright. and i dont reccomend the tires bmw puts on with the 162's, the sidewalls are very stiff, since theyr runflats. too much noise
Appreciate 0