F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N26 ER downpipe install question
proTUNING Freaks

06-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M sport

N26 ER downpipe install question

Hey guys. I just purchased a used ER downpipe for my F30 N26 SUELV. I just a had a simple question. He sent me a wire harness/connector with a male and female connectors. Just have no idea what these connectors are used for??
I was under the impression I just swap out the original O2's over to the ER downpipe. I'll attach a picture of what I'm talking about. Any help or insight would be great guys! Cheers.
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

Looks like that is a homemade resistor. Only thing I can think of is when running the catless downpipe it will trick the car to not throw a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D041987 View Post
Looks like that is a homemade resistor. Only thing I can think of is when running the catless downpipe it will trick the car to not throw a CEL.
Yea I had a feeling it didn't go with the downpipe. Maybe I should give it a try and see what happens.. That would be convenient. Not really sure where I would plug it in or which sensor lol
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

Hit up the seller and ask him? haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D041987 View Post
Hit up the seller and ask him? haha.
Haha I did! Of course he didn't know because he didn't install it or remove it!
I'll ask him again and maybe he can get the answer from someone else. I also emailed evolution racewerks to see if they had any clue what it is, or does. Waiting for a response...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Is there a cap for the o2 bung? If it is a resistor, I would assume that you would cap the o2 bung and then plug it in to the o2 sensor harness
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
Is there a cap for the o2 bung? If it is a resistor, I would assume that you would cap the o2 bung and then plug it in to the o2 sensor harness
Nope no cap came with it to cap the bung. And if you are suppose to plug a sensor into it, which one would you use?..Since we have two sensors.
And as far as an update from Evolution Racewerks, they also have no idea what the harness is used for or what it could be. They said it possibly could be some kind of resistor to keep the engine light from coming on. But they really have no idea what it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

I probably wouldn't use it then, lol. Did you buy it from "ohmymayo24"?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I probably wouldn't use it then, lol. Did you buy it from "ohmymayo24"?
In fact I did! How'd you know lol
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod33084 View Post
I was sitting on that post for a while, debating whether or not I wanted to buy it lol. I recognized that piece of wiring in question. Good to know its sold (since the post hasnt been updated)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was sitting on that post for a while, debating whether or not I wanted to buy it lol. I recognized that piece of wiring in question. Good to know its sold (since the post hasnt been updated)
Ha. Yea my bad. Hard to come around a N26 downpipe so I jumped on it
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #12
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Did you get this bad boy installed yet? I am curious to know your thoughts on the gains? I keep hearing such mixed reviews
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #13
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did you get this bad boy installed yet? I am curious to know your thoughts on the gains? I keep hearing such mixed reviews
I've had it installed for about a week now. Did it myself. I would say it works as advertised lol. A little more horsepower. A good amount of more torque. One reason I decided to get a downpipe was for the lack of pull on the highway... so it did enhance that a some more. I have the m performance exhaust and it really woke that up! Much louder! Especially at cold start( probably too loud). I still have the stock exhaust so I can always swap it back to see how I like that sound. Everyone says it's a great combination of sound.
The weird, funny thing is I've had it installed for this long, probably put almost 200 miles on it already and STILL got no check engine light! I have Jb4 and will switch from map 1 and map 2 and open her up 50% of time and no light!
Not sure if it's luck, or if the N26 runs that clean but I'll take it!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #14
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've had it installed for about a week now. Did it myself. I would say it works as advertised lol. A little more horsepower. A good amount of more torque. One reason I decided to get a downpipe was for the lack of pull on the highway... so it did enhance that a some more. I have the m performance exhaust and it really woke that up! Much louder! Especially at cold start( probably too loud). I still have the stock exhaust so I can always swap it back to see how I like that sound. Everyone says it's a great combination of sound.
The weird, funny thing is I've had it installed for this long, probably put almost 200 miles on it already and STILL got no check engine light! I have Jb4 and will switch from map 1 and map 2 and open her up 50% of time and no light!
Wow, that's really weird that the CEL hasn't popped up. And shoot, I am a little disappointed to hear that it wasn't a dramatic change. Are you still running your stock charge pipe as well / any plans to change it out for the ER version?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, that's really weird that the CEL hasn't popped up. And shoot, I am a little disappointed to hear that it wasn't a dramatic change. Are you still running your stock charge pipe as well / any plans to change it out for the ER version?
If you're one that can understand and tell the difference between what horsepower feels like and what torque feels like, then the dramatic change would be in the torque not the horsepower. Which is still fun it pulls stronger.
My best comparison was when I turned off Jb4 and kept it at stock performance. I remembered how laggy and lacking the power was when I first got the car but the downpipe makes stock performance feel a little more enjoyable.
And don't forget, the other driving modes, such as eco pro, is now worth actually using because it not so slow and laggy lol.
I'm happy I bought it used, possibly would be regretting if I bought it full price. But I'm also cheap at times
Oh and no I didn't get the charge pipe. I'm not really sure if there's much of a power gain from them or if it's more because the stock plastic pipes are susceptible to cracking or blowing off. Haven't looked into one yet. Have you heard of power gains by changing the charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #16
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're one that can understand and tell the difference between what horsepower feels like and what torque feels like, then the dramatic change would be in the torque not the horsepower. Which is still fun it pulls stronger.
My best comparison was when I turned off Jb4 and kept it at stock performance. I remembered how laggy and lacking the power was when I first got the car but the downpipe makes stock performance feel a little more enjoyable.
And don't forget, the other driving modes, such as eco pro, is now worth actually using because it not so slow and laggy lol.
I'm happy I bought it used, possibly would be regretting if I bought it full price. But I'm also cheap at times
Oh and no I didn't get the charge pipe. I'm not really sure if there's much of a power gain from them or if it's more because the stock plastic pipes are susceptible to cracking or blowing off. Haven't looked into one yet. Have you heard of power gains by changing the charge pipe?
Ah ok. I was just asking about the charge pipe for reliability, as I've read about them cracking. I keep hearing mixed stories on whether or not the n20/n26 should get the pipe to be safe or if its really only needed on the n55. I don't think it offers any gains (websites claim quicker boost delivery but I doubt it would even be noticeable); but would be nice to not have to worry about the stock pipe exploding on the freeway. Its another item that I cant believe people are willing to pay $300+ for.....they're literally 2 aluminum pipes, a silicon coupler, and 2 clamps -- maybe $20-30 in supplies.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #17
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah ok. I was just asking about the charge pipe for reliability, as I've read about them cracking. I keep hearing mixed stories on whether or not the n20/n26 should get the pipe to be safe or if its really only needed on the n55. I don't think it offers any gains (websites claim quicker boost delivery but I doubt it would even be noticeable); but would be nice to not have to worry about the stock pipe exploding on the freeway. Its another item that I cant believe people are willing to pay $300+ for.....they're literally 2 aluminum pipes, a silicon coupler, and 2 clamps -- maybe $20-30 in supplies.
Ha! Right. Kinda how I felt too.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #18
Jkenn6
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Was this hard to install yourself? How long did it take? Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #19
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkenn6 View Post
Was this hard to install yourself? How long did it take? Any tips?
Yes I did install it myself. I probably could have had it done in an hour maybe an hour n half if I had all the right tools but because I didn't have the best tools to use it ended up taking me a good 3 hours. One major tip is to remove all nuts and bolts of the bracket from trans housing as well as from downpipe. Don't try to remove the downpipe from the bracket only while leaving trans housing bolts of the bracket still secured. You'll never get it.
If I had some power tools and swivel sockets and a torx socket (didn't know I needed it till I was in the middle of it). It would of made it much easier. Getting the flex pipe section out of the way of the mid pipe was also a bear. It's a tight fit. I didn't remove the hangar bolts to the mid pipe but that might give you more room to work with.
Any other questions feel free to ask.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips dude. Hoping to do the install Saturday if Ive got the time. I'll shoot some before/after videos for the exhaust sound for everyone
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #21
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tips dude. Hoping to do the install Saturday if Ive got the time. I'll shoot some before/after videos for the exhaust sound for everyone
No problem! Just let me know if you got any questions or get stuck lol
Appreciate 0