E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > so...SSTT, to Install or Not to Install on v81?

05-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
dudewheresmy335
Registered
Rep
Drives: car

so...SSTT, to Install or Not to Install on v81?

Having been sitting here with my SSTT for a few weeks and thinking about what to do in regards to my v81 car in light of all the new information that has come out in the last week or so, I was still pretty much set on putting it in this weekend.

After reading the shark injector thread about the Warranty Gone code that apparently logs a max torque violation, I am back on the fence. This question applies not only to SSTT but to any other device that would cause the torque red flag to be raised.

So, install SSTT for some short term fun and gains while waiting and watching the other developments that are going on in tuning and flashing, or sit it out and monitor further developments with the shark injector and related?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

i installed it on my friends new 335i with the latest program and v81 DME ,works well and provides good power he was in the same position as you, but after talking with Jeff and Split second, he tossed it in and loves it now.

Jeff has advised numerous times that the SSTT, does not leave any codes or traces it was ever there.
since the new software is suppose to limit to 300FTLB and Jeff made alot more over this on the dyno with the new MSD81 and new software.

Last edited by 5soko; 05-06-2008 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewheresmy335 View Post
Having been sitting here with my SSTT for a few weeks and thinking about what to do in regards to my v81 car in light of all the new information that has come out in the last week or so, I was still pretty much set on putting it in this weekend.

After reading the shark injector thread about the Warranty Gone code that apparently logs a max torque violation, I am back on the fence. This question applies not only to SSTT but to any other device that would cause the torque red flag to be raised.

So, install SSTT for some short term fun and gains while waiting and watching the other developments that are going on in tuning and flashing, or sit it out and monitor further developments with the shark injector and related?
I'll be installing mine once I take delivery. Then I'll wait for one of the other tuners to crack the v81 before I upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

How's your relationship with the dealership near you?
      05-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e9x's View Post
How's your relationship with the dealership near you?
Mine or the OP's? Mine is good. My CA was at my wedding, and he's been working at the dealership for 7+ years.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

install it!

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

The big question is, if it sets off a secret code that gets sent to Munich and doesn't show up on the dealer computer. They could then deny any work later if you blow a turbo or burn a cylinder 5/6.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

i'm not an expert but if i were to purely guess that i would assume that the hidden codes are meant to catch the true piggybacks. This is BMW's strategy #1, because they run higher boost than SSTT, which equals accelerated damage. It also seems a lot easier to catch the true piggybacks because they tap the ECU directly. Still if there is a code for the SSTT, and you exceed the 300lbs tq limit (hidden code) there is no proof that your TMAP sensor malfunctioned. I mean common, are you telling me that someone will have a code that says (11psi=SSTT)?
I think that after they crack down on this group of people they will move onto the SSTT crowd with a different strategy.
      05-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
Archibald Donnington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1

how can I find out what version software I have?
aaron
      05-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Based on what the BMW dealers who sell the SSTT have told me, our unit is not going to set any detection codes. We stay within the specified limits of torque. Much more than what we make and you definitely will get codes. And FWIW it's not a hidden code other then it doesn't throw a CEL. It can however be detected at the dealer level. We have tested and have not seen any code.

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Good to know Jeff. So by "hidden" or "secret" it's just not known by the owner, but the dealer's can see it?

Has anyone dyno'ed a DME80 that has had a recent software update? I'm wondering if it will limit the torque to 300 ft-lbs as has been posted?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@Eurobahn.us View Post
Based on what the BMW dealers who sell the SSTT have told me, our unit is not going to set any detection codes. We stay within the specified limits of torque. Much more than what we make and you definitely will get codes. And FWIW it's not a hidden code other then it doesn't throw a CEL. It can however be detected at the dealer level. We have tested and have not seen any code.

Jeff
Eurobahn

intertesting you mention this Jeff, Terry from N54tech, which was one of the first aswell to jump on the new software/hardware change also mentioned someting along these lines.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
foxman
Driver
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@Eurobahn.us View Post

Jeff
Eurobahn
To clarify, the SSTT is not producing enough hp/tq to need additional fuel above the restricted limit (and then set off the red flag) under v81, was this always also the case under v80? No additional fuel is required with SSTT?

08 e92 335i
88 RX-7 Vert
07 Jeep Commander
04 RX-8...sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
foxman
Driver
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Good to know Jeff. So by "hidden" or "secret" it's just not known by the owner, but the dealer's can see it?

Has anyone dyno'ed a DME80 that has had a recent software update? I'm wondering if it will limit the torque to 300 ft-lbs as has been posted?
the dynos for the SSTT show

305 whp and 332 wheel torque

Seems to me like that is over 300.

08 e92 335i
88 RX-7 Vert
07 Jeep Commander
04 RX-8...sold
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #15
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyD4Me View Post
i'm not an expert but if i were to purely guess that i would assume that the hidden codes are meant to catch the true piggybacks. This is BMW's strategy #1, because they run higher boost than SSTT, which equals accelerated damage. It also seems a lot easier to catch the true piggybacks because they tap the ECU directly. Still if there is a code for the SSTT, and you exceed the 300lbs tq limit (hidden code) there is no proof that your TMAP sensor malfunctioned. I mean common, are you telling me that someone will have a code that says (11psi=SSTT)?
I think that after they crack down on this group of people they will move onto the SSTT crowd with a different strategy.
I'm torn. Thought the SSTT worked with stock settings, and based on the way the torque monitor is rumored to work (by estimation), it could work without a problem because it may just trick the car to think it's a high altitude and still within limits. Having said that, I disagree with the above and worry still bc the release from BMW labelled all tunes as turbo tuners (as if they'd heard of it) and specifically mentioned not just ecu mods but tampering with the tmap sensor, which suggests they also have the SSTT in mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

it wasnt named by name, just a general statement regarding all the tunes.
the SSTT was referred as the TMAP sensor, as followed by other.

from what all the tuners i have seen testing the new program and DME, the codes are not really hidden, but on a dealer level visible.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #17
MFL101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RRS SC

I think the memo really was for telling SAs to look at the TMAP sensor to see if a SSTT is installed. It's not a change to the ECU and is a high-altitude mimicer...I think we are safe...I am installing the SSTT in my v81.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #18
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

+1 do it!

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0