E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Underbody Wheel Air Deflectors - Necessary?

06-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO Bagged 08 E92 335xi (V2)

Underbody Wheel Air Deflectors - Necessary?

Hey all,

Hopefully this is the right subforum to post this, but I was wondering how necessary the small mini mudflap-shaped air deflectors are in front of all 4 wheels on our cars (or at least specifically my 08 E92 335xi). The purpose of these pieces are discussed in this thread here, but I could find a definitive answer as to what would happen if they were completely removed. Basically they are for underbody aerodynamics to direct moving air away from the wheel wells as I understand. Pic from the above thread here where you can see the pieces in question:

This is important to me as my car is bagged and I'm literally airing out onto these pieces. As in they are basically holding up my car, which can't be good for anything structurally. I would rather remove them completely, either by trimming or removing the entire panel (upon closer inspection).

Thanks in advace for your expertise!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

I remember reading about those in a car magazine years ago. They have a name but I just can't remember it. They are supposed to direct air from the tires to keep the car stable and planted at speed. We're not driving at autobahn speeds here in the states so probably not going to make much difference.
Appreciate 1
ayyy52.50
      06-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
cjdzombie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive, M Sport

They're called pressure lip seals. I need to replace mine too. I'm not sure how important they are but I figure they're there for a reason.

Left Part # 51627136525
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...0yMaAi188P8HAQ

Right Part # 51627136526
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...JGUaAslz8P8HAQ
ayyy52.50
      06-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
I remember reading about those in a car magazine years ago. They have a name but I just can't remember it. They are supposed to direct air from the tires to keep the car stable and planted at speed. We're not driving at autobahn speeds here in the states so probably not going to make much difference.
Thanks for the reply. This is what I've read too. Guess I'll just avoid going 120+ after I take them off haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzombie View Post
They're called pressure lip seals. I need to replace mine too. I'm not sure how important they are but I figure they're there for a reason.
Thanks for posting those parts numbers but I'm actually looking to take mine off. They are folding against the ground when I'm aired out and look like crap so my plans are to just remove them entirely
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
ssdara
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

I havent had mine on for years, no issues. Can't run lip without taking them off. Rears just fell off at some time, running over large rodents. I think one of their purposes is to deflect debris away from tires. If your car is lowered, your bumper is your new flaps anyhow.

They're attached by 8mm screws and plugs. Pulls off easily once screws removed.
Appreciate 1
ayyy52.50
      06-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdara View Post
I havent had mine on for years, no issues. Can't run lip without taking them off. Rears just fell off at some time, running over large rodents. I think one of their purposes is to deflect debris away from tires. If your car is lowered, your bumper is your new flaps anyhow.

They're attached by 8mm screws and plugs. Pulls off easily once screws removed.
Thanks for that info! I'll definitely be removing them then as I'm installing a front splitter after I vinyl wrap the car in a couple weeks.
Appreciate 0