E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Tapping noise coming from front driveshaft.

06-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

Tapping noise coming from front driveshaft.

So I was getting some lunch this morning, while pulling up at the drive thru window I could hear a tapping noise reflecting off the wall while I had the window down, I pulled up to a parking spot and looked underneath the car to see if I could see anything out of place, I grabbed the from drive shaft and tried turning it by hand and I heard the same noise, it sounds like there is slack on the u-joint and it makes a tapping noise while under load at low speeds.

I drove with the window down for a while and only heard it once, it's not constant, and it happened at a low speed like 5 and under, im thinking its the driveshaft but I won't know for sure until the weekend when I get one of my friends to come help me diagnose the car, does anyone know what this might be? I been searching for the last hour but none of the threads I found seem to mention my problem.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 05:21 AM   #2
carr011
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Since you haven't had any replies thus far, I'll offer up my 2 cents: My wife's '07 328xi w/ 150K miles on it had a high freq vibration that I associated with a front bent rim. Turns out that the front driveshaft rear u-joint (transfer case end) was going and it failed badly (co-incidentally on the day you posted). The u-joint was so worn that the yoke that attaches to the xfer case output shaft broke and the shaft nearly separated. It took out, at the least, the xfer case seal...and possibly the bearing. I'm still disassembling and searching parts. I say all this because I've searched and found that this is not uncommon. Check yours closely this weekend...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post
So I was getting some lunch this morning, while pulling up at the drive thru window I could hear a tapping noise reflecting off the wall while I had the window down, I pulled up to a parking spot and looked underneath the car to see if I could see anything out of place, I grabbed the from drive shaft and tried turning it by hand and I heard the same noise, it sounds like there is slack on the u-joint and it makes a tapping noise while under load at low speeds.

I drove with the window down for a while and only heard it once, it's not constant, and it happened at a low speed like 5 and under, im thinking its the driveshaft but I won't know for sure until the weekend when I get one of my friends to come help me diagnose the car, does anyone know what this might be? I been searching for the last hour but none of the threads I found seem to mention my problem.

Thanks guys.
#7 is your issue.

Name:  Captureee.JPG
Views: 642
Size:  73.1 KB

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?keywords=26128615622

Also, could you please update your profile to show what year and model you drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carr011 View Post
Since you haven't had any replies thus far, I'll offer up my 2 cents: My wife's '07 328xi w/ 150K miles on it had a high freq vibration that I associated with a front bent rim. Turns out that the front driveshaft rear u-joint (transfer case end) was going and it failed badly (co-incidentally on the day you posted). The u-joint was so worn that the yoke that attaches to the xfer case output shaft broke and the shaft nearly separated. It took out, at the least, the xfer case seal...and possibly the bearing. I'm still disassembling and searching parts. I say all this because I've searched and found that this is not uncommon. Check yours closely this weekend...
Damn that's rough, I hope I can get this fixed before something like that happens, best of luck fixing the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
#7 is your issue.

Attachment 1636158

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?keywords=26128615622

Also, could you please update your profile to show what year and model you drive.

You freaking rock dude, I been reading a lot about this and it does sound like my problem, I just didn't exactly knew what terms to use in my search, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #5
Trelos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 white 335xi & 89 white 325i

Quote:
Could you describe that high frequency vibration? I thought it was bent rims too but after getting them straightened I still hear like a low rumbling at high speeds. It's not intermittent, but goes up and down. Not throttle dependent, but definitely speed dependent.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
carr011
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelos View Post
Could you describe that high frequency vibration? I thought it was bent rims too but after getting them straightened I still hear like a low rumbling at high speeds. It's not intermittent, but goes up and down. Not throttle dependent, but definitely speed dependent.
You described my symptoms. Definitely resonated...stronger, quieter, stronger. I called it a high freq vibe, and it was...in the seat/shifter/wheel, but the sound was a growl.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
Trelos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 white 335xi & 89 white 325i

Quote:
You described my symptoms. Definitely resonated...stronger, quieter, stronger. I called it a high freq vibe, and it was...in the seat/shifter/wheel, but the sound was a growl.
Yes, a growl, sort of pulsating, and louder at high speeds.
Going to have it checked out. Glad I found this thread.

Appreciate 0