2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding HID / Xenon Upgrade

06-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
GXCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M Sport Coupe

HID / Xenon Upgrade

Just moved up to an F10 from my E92 and the one thing it doesnt have is Xenons which I need to get sorted.

Now I could take the easy route and get a H7 canbus kit but looking at the headlamp it looks near identical to the xenon unit.

So I'm looking to go as close to factory as possible and possibly use a D1s instead of a H7.

I've taken the H7 holder ut this morning to have a look and I'm windering if the back of the reflector actually has the bracket for the D1s - ie does it take the oem D1s holder

Can anyone by looking at the picture below confirm if this is the same bracket as on the xenon headlamp, the D1s is about 20mm longet than the H7 which would seem logical if it sits in a holder, if I can fit the D1s which would be my preferred option I can then wire up the OEM ballast and do the necessary coding and have everything inside the headlamp as if it was an original factory xenon headlamp

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
Aaron@Autosource
Rep
Drives: F110/F22

D1S setup uses a bulb retainer between the D1S bulb and the actual bulb seat of the factory projector.

It's a big hard to tell if a workaround will allow you to install D1S into the H7 socket, but I'll let you figure that out. All I can contribute is pictures I have saved of the OEM projectors, hopefully it's some sort of help.

This is the D1S bulb retainer/holder btw(oem part#63117162087)-
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/63117162087/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:13 AM   #3
GXCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M Sport Coupe

Thanks - Thats really helpful, it does look like a completely different projector so unless I can find a set of RHD projectors of a set of smashed headlamps I think I'm going to have to go the H7 HID kit route.

What I was hoping to do was to keep all the wiring inside the headlamp and mount the ballast externally so it looked OEM

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, I've also been looking at the LED route but I'm hearing all sorts of stuff about uneven light outut on these, I dont know if anyone has tried these on projectors?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Buy a pair of complete factory xenon headlights and retrofit them, rebased HIDEEZZZ in halogen housings just create glare, and I'd assume it wouldn't pass your MOT anyway.
Appreciate 0