E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need suspension help?

05-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
Homeless_Trillionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.00]
Need suspension help?

I'm trying find some lowering springs to match the front in my e90. The front is lowered compared to the back. With find out that match the front or find a complete set that will make it equal all around. Was thinking of coil overs but an holding out on that for my f30. Sorry for my noobish question, but will gladly appreciated the help. Added a picture to show wat I'm taking about. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
stelvio
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335xi + E70 X5d

Measure the ground-to-fender distance on all 4 corners. I've never seen an E90 where the front is lower than the rear, stock. Something doesn't seem right there.

My wife had Tein springs on her E90 which gets rid of the reverse rake these cars come with.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

With 17" Wheels:

Also, I had H&R springs on my XI E90 which did NOT get rid of the reverse rake as the following photo shows:
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
Homeless_Trillionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelvio View Post
Measure the ground-to-fender distance on all 4 corners. I've never seen an E90 where the front is lower than the rear, stock. Something doesn't seem right there.

My wife had Tein springs on her E90 which gets rid of the reverse rake these cars come with.

BEFORE:
[IMG]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...65&oe=59BADED6[/IMG]

AFTER:
[IMG]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...26&oe=59ADB9E1[/IMG]

With 17" Wheels:
[img]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...0b&oe=59B18FD2[/img]

Also, I had H&R springs on my XI E90 which did NOT get rid of the reverse rake as the following photo shows:
[img]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...ed&oe=59B79E27[/img]
I'm measured the hight and I got 25 5/8" on the fronts and 26" in the back.

I also plan on getting new tires and rims. Specifically Alzor 030 rims in 18" or 19" with tire size 225/40r(18/19) do u think I should wait and get those then see how it end up or just get the springs first. Side note do you know if the 06 325i use ITM sensors ?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Measure from the center of the hub to the fender, not the ground to fender. Measuring from the ground introduces error caused by tire loading and unequal pressures.

You should also be measuring the rake at the rockers as the fender profile in the rear is not cut to accommodate a wheel which turns. It will give you a better indication of what your real rake is than measuring to differently shaped fender arches.

Are the springs cut or did someone just swap the front springs? That would be dumb with a capital D. If someone has messed this up you're going to need all 4 springs so you end up with a properly rate matched set.

These cars benefit from a little rake. You'll notice the Eibach pro kit actually has the front down a couple mm more than the OE setup.

Last edited by NiNeTyOne; 05-29-2017 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
stelvio
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335xi + E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Measure from the center of the hub to the fender, not the ground to fender. Measuring from the ground introduces error caused by tire loading and unequal pressures.
I've never heard this before.

Logically if the suspension is unequally loaded [in comparison to the other corners] then the measurements you take will be false regardless of where you measure from. In fact, if you measure hub-to-fender the measurements will show less of a discrepancy than if you measure GTF. Since the whole wheel spins as 1 part and since the whole wheel holds up the entire suspension component per corner, measure the whole wheel. The more you measure the more variables you can account for [psi, load, etc] since if one corner's psi/load/etc is off, it WILL affect another corner.

I guess I assumed I wouldn't have to mention this but don't park up a hill or while being towed or while the jack is lifting up one side of the car while trying to take measurements. Also, don't park on gravel. And make sure tire pressures are somewhat proper. Idk what else to suggest; use common sense?

There's no need to make rocket science out of measuring your GTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless_Trillionaire View Post
I'm measured the hight and I got 25 5/8" on the fronts and 26" in the back.

I also plan on getting new tires and rims. Specifically Alzor 030 rims in 18" or 19" with tire size 225/40r(18/19) do u think I should wait and get those then see how it end up or just get the springs first. Side note do you know if the 06 325i use ITM sensors ?
Measurements seem somewhat familiar [rear seems fairly high IIRC from when I was on stock suspension].Check part numbers instead, maybe someone put e46 springs on an e90. Who knows.

As a general rule, you should always get suspension before wheels. When you have the suspension you like then you can get the wheels/tires/spacers/etc to fill in the wheel well/gap nicely. If you just get wheels you'll have something that looks like this:

Although wheels are awesome, looks kinda stupid w/ the wheel gap and 'sporty' tire/wheel combo.

Also, ITM = TPMS? If so, idk...probably not as it wasn't a law until 2007 I believe [my old 06 325xi did not have tpms, it ran off the abs instead]
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelvio View Post
I've never heard this before.

Logically if the suspension is unequally loaded [in comparison to the other corners] then the measurements you take will be false regardless of where you measure from. In fact, if you measure hub-to-fender the measurements will show less of a discrepancy than if you measure GTF. Since the whole wheel spins as 1 part and since the whole wheel holds up the entire suspension component per corner, measure the whole wheel. The more you measure the more variables you can account for [psi, load, etc] since if one corner's psi/load/etc is off, it WILL affect another corner.
Ultimately you want to do it on an alignment rack measuring at the shock eyelet. But most people don't have an alignment rack.

Most people also don't put their own body weight in the driver's seat when they do the measurements either