F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dash cam installed
ARMA SPEED

05-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Dash cam installed

Bought a blackvue 450 from Halfords (on offer at £102) and I couldn't be more pleased with it. As you can see from the pics I used a round file to make a hole in the plastic so as too hide the wires up inside the rain sensor housing. Overall very pleased, I can't see the camera from the drivers seat and even from the passenger side I can't see any wires.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Grant_72020.50
Soul_Glo13361.50
      05-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Looks good. Decent camera too. If you turn all the lights off it'll be super stealthy!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
That's probably the most discreet install I've seen

Never thought of removing the housing like that.

Only potential I can see is that on the 650 dual channel I've got there's a button on the right to activate wifi - is that the case for yours?

You can set the LEDS to light up only whilst in motion - acts as a deterrent for cash crash parasites

Good work there dude
      05-27-2017, 12:25 AM   #6
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post

Only potential I can see is that on the 650 dual channel I've got there's a button on the right to activate wifi - is that the case for yours?

You can set the LEDS to light up only whilst in motion - acts as a deterrent for cash crash parasites

Good work there dude
Do you have front facing light set to motion then? I.e. Recording when driving? I was told when I had mine fitted best to turn them all off (apart from GPS) which I think is always on when driving. Then, if I'm involved in an incident not to mention it either. They said that you'd be surprised how the audio picks up conversations and also dependent on what they claim happened (versus what actually happened) may completely discredit their claim. I.e. 4 x people in car with whiplash injuries when there was only one. Does that make sense? Never thought about the deterrent aspect though.

I've also even covered the wifi light on the side with a little black sticker so you can't see it at night when parked, to help prevent drawing attention to a thief.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
jbeer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Shadow Edition

Garage List
Good job, love my Blackvue as well, they can really be hidden well...here's mine and also have the wire tucked into the housing but no cutting.

[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/z...pswy0rrvrg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps1remk8mu.jpg[/IMG]

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 02:37 AM   #8
andyhazza
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog View Post
Bought a blackvue 450 from Halfords (on offer at £102) and I couldn't be more pleased with it. As you can see from the pics I used a round file to make a hole in the plastic so as too hide the wires up inside the rain sensor housing. Overall very pleased, I can't see the camera from the drivers seat and even from the passenger side I can't see any wires.
That looks a great install.
Sorry, my knowledge on dashcams is nonexistent. Is it just a front facing camera? Or do you have a rear one too? Is it just a power feed you've had to run through?
I do quite a bit of mileage with work, and have been thinking it might be good to invest in a cam, but I don't want to clutter the car with a crappy looking camera and wiring. This has shown how well they can actually be installed for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 02:42 AM   #9
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Tidy install! Got mine fitted recently, glad i did, though i have now set the right time & date.

Clip of my commute on Tuesday.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 03:53 AM   #10
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTo View Post
Tidy install! Got mine fitted recently, glad i did, though i have now set the right time & date.

Clip of my commute on Tuesday.

Crikey ...Did the KA brake late sharply for the right turn and the van was tailgating?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 04:19 AM   #11
Jackster440i
Rep
Drives: SRB f32 440i

Saw this on PH, wasn't the guy in the van on his mobile?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #12
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Either way, bet he left some skid marks....on the road too!

Evdok

Last edited by evdok; 05-27-2017 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 06:07 AM   #13
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhazza View Post
Quote:
Sorry, my knowledge on dashcams is nonexistent. Is it just a front facing camera? Or do you have a rear one too? Is it just a power feed you've had to run through?
I do quite a bit of mileage with work, and have been thinking it might be good to invest in a cam, but I don't want to clutter the car with a crappy looking camera and wiring. This has shown how well they can actually be installed for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
Yes just the power feed and put it into the 12v socket under the glove box. The 12v plug is quite small compared to others so you can't see it unless you stick your head in the foot well which is a result.

Good work there dude
No there's no wifi as it's just the basic one. The power plug is a bit fiddly to get in and out but I figured how often am I really going to need to take it out?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #14
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhazza View Post
Quote:
Yes just a power feed and only front facing. Iv stuck it in the 12v socket under the hove box so it's really discreet under there too.
Appreciate 0