BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Basics: M235i -> M2 Suspension Stiffness

05-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
mjhouston
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Question Basics: M235i -> M2 Suspension Stiffness

I have a 2014 M235i and I'm in the process of ordering an M2. I've driven an M2 and M4. I've compared with a Cayman S. I'd like the normal ride of the M2 to be more comfortable on rougher and undulating roads. After doing some reading I think I understand the M2 ride is really not adjustable at all from the factory? Is that true for the M4? The settings don't seem to matter like they do on my M235i. I've read in Roundel that TC Kline claims to improve drivability and performance. While I can live with the stock suspension I'm curious if there is a solution to improve the softest ride with either little over impact or be more adjustable when needed. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhouston View Post
I have a 2014 M235i and I'm in the process of ordering an M2. I've driven an M2 and M4. I've compared with a Cayman S. I'd like the normal ride of the M2 to be more comfortable on rougher and undulating roads. After doing some reading I think I understand the M2 ride is really not adjustable at all from the factory? Is that true for the M4? The settings don't seem to matter like they do on my M235i. I've read in Roundel that TC Kline claims to improve drivability and performance. While I can live with the stock suspension I'm curious if there is a solution to improve the softest ride with either little over impact or be more adjustable when needed. Thanks
M4 has the optional adaptive M suspension and the M2 does not.

Some of the aftermarket coilover will improve ride quality through much higher quality dampers with better damping. OEM dampers are usually over damped on the compression and under damped on rebound, thus the stiffer ride. Ohlins has the DFV technology to deal with bumps:

http://hpashop.com/Road-Track_c332.htm

TC coilovers can be tailored with custom rates for the best ride possible. The other option would be Ohlins if you are looking for slightly less noise(no camber plates = less NVH).
Appreciate 0