E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Car died off while driving - hpfp issue?

05-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
RIP_MKVI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 2023 iX50

Car died off while driving - hpfp issue?

This past Saturday afternoon my car died off while I was driving. Me and my wife just finished a 200 miles trip and were heading home. I took the car to a local gas station and filled up with 5 gal 91 octane mixed with 11 gal E85. Right after I pull out the gas station, at the first traffic light a fuel pump warning popped up and 3 seconds later the car killed itself, didn’t even bother to go into limp mode. I tried to restart the car many times but it didn’t work, it would start cranking but wouldn’t start up. I was in the far left lane and blocking all the traffic. Ironically I was right at the front of a Mercedes Benz dealer……their sales people helped me to push the car to the shoulder……

Called roadside assistance and towed the car home. Then this morning when I tried to tow the car to the dealer the car started up just fine, no long crank, no warnings popped up, like nothing happened……
Here are some other facts might help:

- The E85 % I put in right before the car died was higher than I normally get, but I figured it should be fine as I have Fuel-it stage 2 lpfp and TBI kit as well.
- I was on map 6 setting at 21 psi peaks, which is not aggressive at all
- I haven’t had any E85 for the past 3 fill ups and was running on map 5

At this point I’m not sure if this is a hpfp issue, any thoughts?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 01:35 AM   #2
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Codes will confirm. Can't the JB4 read them?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 02:46 AM   #3
fisc0h
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive/m-sport

Your situation seems similar to mine, which is posted here (with codes and logs): http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46861

I had filled up with E45 and was doing some map2 & map 5 pulls. Things looked good. Then went for another 3rd gear pull and car died, bunch of lights, loss power steering. I was able to pull off onto a side street. Car would crank, but wouldn't turnover. Towed it to a shop and they were actually able to start it later that night. The next day, they were able to start it and drive it. I actually recently flashed xHP Stage 3. SSR performance looked at a bunch of settings on my car and found certain throttle values and some other things were really off. They used INPA to do a hard reset on all adaptations and fixed the throttle settings. Haven't had a subsequent issue. I thought it was my hpfp that died, but didn't have any of the antecedent symptoms (long cranks, etc.) Hope this helps!