E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > X1 35i (E84): Transfer Case Support Bracket Removal?

05-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M Sport

X1 35i (E84): Transfer Case Support Bracket Removal?

Yes, the car is obviously not an E9x, but it is an E84 35i, which means it is essentially an E90 335xi hatchback, so to speak. Hence the reason I'm cross posting in this forum. I'm trying to do a transmission fluid/pan change on the 6hp19, and I'm having some trouble.

Does anyone know how to remove the long bolt in the transfer case support bracket? Its part #4 in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=22_0121

It hits the transmission as I try to back it out (see attached pics). With the support bracket in place, it makes it very difficult to reach the transmission fill plug. I can get the plug out with the bracket in place, but trying to put it back in while the engine is running, fluid is coming out, and the fluid temp is quickly rising beyond the 40C cutoff has proved to be extremely frustrating.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
xthejuicex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi LCI

Pull down on the bracket to change the angle of the bolt.. That rubber mount has play in it. Or just cut the bolt and get a new one from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
NocheDeZippeh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M Sport

I tried lowering the bracket to the point the jack wasn't supporting at all, and I still couldn't get much angle on the bolt. Also tried pushing up with the jack, with basically the same result. Wound up just getting some more ATF fluid from the dealer, and blindly finger-wrestling the bolt back in. It was a real messy b!tch, but got it done. I'm seriously considering cutting the bolt next time and replacing it with a threaded rod and using two nuts and a washer on the "head" end so the fasteners can be removed from both ends. Then pull/hammer the rod out the other direction - toward the exhaust.
Appreciate 0