E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight Difference E91 RHD to LHD

05-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
AshJez
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Tourer

Headlight Difference E91 RHD to LHD

Hi all. I have a righthand drive E91 first registered in 2010. The headlight are for driving on the left and are xenons that self level. I'm exporting the car to Europe and need to change the lights for right hand driving. My lights are as in the first image below where on ebay, I've seen the headlights as in the second image where the difference is that the inner lamp has what looks like a magnifier on the front. What is the difference here and are the two units compatible.

Tried to find a switch to change them and by all accounts, there is none.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

The outside looks the same. The cutoff shield inside of the headlights are different to produce a LHD or RHD beam pattern. You'll have to get new headlights.

The difference between the ones on your car and the picture is the ones on your car are AHL xenons (turn side to side). The white/fresnel lens on the inner lamp is the cornering light. The ones in the picture are non-AHL, and the inner lamp is just a dummy lens that doesn't do anything. They both should have auto leveling, since that is an EU requirement for all xenons.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
jacie6056
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
The outside looks the same. The cutoff shield inside of the headlights are different to produce a LHD or RHD beam pattern. You'll have to get new headlights.

The difference between the ones on your car and the picture is the ones on your car are AHL xenons (turn side to side). The white/fresnel lens on the inner lamp is the cornering light. The ones in the picture are non-AHL, and the inner lamp is just a dummy lens that doesn't do anything. They both should have auto leveling, since that is an EU requirement for all xenons.
Clearly explained however I thought the Non AFS inner one is design for high beam? (The dummy lens)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

Can he swap the xenons from one side to the other? I just dove pretty deep into my lights and if the xenon projector shields are different, the whole unit should still be able to be bolted into the other headlight.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 04:35 AM   #5
AshJez
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Tourer

Thanks for the comments so far. This all seems crazy on a modern car where it becomes so complicated and expensive to change from RHD to LHD. In all honesty, I'm not sure I know what lights I have at the moment or what they do. I did not know I had cornering lights. I'll have to run a check on the VIN.

Last edited by AshJez; 05-09-2017 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E86Z View Post
Can he swap the xenons from one side to the other? I just dove pretty deep into my lights and if the xenon projector shields are different, the whole unit should still be able to be bolted into the other headlight.
No, both sides have the same cutoff shield that makes a beam pattern like this for RHD -------\_____

You need a beam pattern light this for LHD _____/-------

There seems to be some reports of the euro headlights being switchable between LHD and RHD beam pattern, so maybe ask a dealer or indy if they know anything about that.
Appreciate 0