THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Advice on paint damage

05-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Advice on paint damage

I parked my 235 on a street in Brooklyn over the weekend and found the entire upper side of the trunk and rear bumper heavily scratched. It's bad to the point of needing a full sand off and repaint by a professional shop. Will probably cost $1500 for a reputable shop that I trust.

The restaurant that I parked at says they have security cams that may provide some visibility on what happened but that it will take them a week or so to review and get back to me. The manager did note that right next to my car is where the dump truck picks up garbage.

How should I proceed? Should I hold off on getting it repainted until theyve gotten back to me? Assuming it's the garbage collector's fault, do i have any leverage to seek compensation from them? If it was done on purpose by someone, is it enough ground to file a police report?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Need photos... You may be able to wet sand or compound it out.
Bring it to a professional and let them help you out.

Get it fixed if you need to, you can always claim no-fault with insurance.
If you get proof of what happened, this can be used to sue for damages.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
I parked my 235 on a street in Brooklyn over the weekend and found the entire upper side of the trunk and rear bumper heavily scratched. It's bad to the point of needing a full sand off and repaint by a professional shop. Will probably cost $1500 for a reputable shop that I trust.

The restaurant that I parked at says they have security cams that may provide some visibility on what happened but that it will take them a week or so to review and get back to me. The manager did note that right next to my car is where the dump truck picks up garbage.

How should I proceed? Should I hold off on getting it repainted until theyve gotten back to me? Assuming it's the garbage collector's fault, do i have any leverage to seek compensation from them? If it was done on purpose by someone, is it enough ground to file a police report?
Good luck, in Brooklyn or anywhere in NYC area hitting bumpers of parked cars is part of driving.

You might get somewhere, after you spend countless hours trying to figure out who hit you, then contact them, then try to get the money, but I would put the odds of you getting paid at under 10%.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

First, contact your Insurance Co. ASAP. Your comprehensive should cover it. Not your fault.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Good luck, in Brooklyn or anywhere in NYC area hitting bumpers of parked cars is part of driving.
This, I lived in NYC and couldn't believe the amount of people who bounce of people's bumpers when parking. Right outside my house people did it day in day out.

Sucks OP, sorry you got it scratched up.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

Sorry to hear, but it is most definitely a fact of city street parking life. Even those bumper savers don't cover the corners. Pictures would be useful. When you said upper side of trunk I was thinking the deck and that it had to be intentional but if you mean near the badge and roundel that could easily be a truck that doesn't give a sh't.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:

You might get somewhere, after you spend countless hours trying to figure out who hit you, then contact them, then try to get the money, but I would put the odds of you getting paid at under 10%.
Part of driving. What a joke.

Part of parking like an A-Hole.

Good luck OP getting it fixed and maybe take Uber next time to avoid that possibility.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
Quote:
This, I lived in NYC and couldn't believe the amount of people who bounce of people's bumpers when parking. Right outside my house people did it day in day out.

Sucks OP, sorry you got it scratched up.
I have no doubt but I'd have it on film.

Saying it is part of driving says it is normal excerptible behaviour and it is not. Never will be. Hate to be racist but there are those that park that way every time and those who would never hit another car intentionally.
Bad City driving I guess, but I think it is more of a cultural thing. Rant over /

I hope the garbage-man has to pay !
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
Pparana
Captain
Rep

These photos are from Brooklyn, not uncommon.

No one drives there unless they are leaving, a garage spot when I lived in Manhattan was $800 a month at my building, and you do not park them, they do, about 3" from each other. If you live there, your cars bumpers and doors are on borrowed time, no matter what. Think of it like corrosion from snow or acid other natural phenomina, you can not avoid it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
pz6193278.50
      05-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I can't say I miss living in Toronto, but man o man that's brutal! No comparison..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you're accusing me of parking like an asshole and deserving what was coming.

I parked along a designated street parking spot, and there were no indications that, on the sidewalk of my exact spot, is where garbage was being collected. I left plenty of room on both ends for other cars and people to move freely.

The more I look at the scratch patterns on my trunk, the more I believe it is from debris during the garbage collection. I suspect they were trying to bring the trash bags over my trunk and perhaps the bag broke, giving way to for everything hit the top of my trunk and spoiler, at which point they proceeded to drag it across the trunk. It doesn't look like the work of straight up vandalism, ie not your typical keying patterns or deliberate/consistent scratching across multiple panels.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you're accusing me of parking like an asshole and deserving what was coming.

I parked along a designated street parking spot, and there were no indications that, on the sidewalk of my exact spot, is where garbage was being collected. I left plenty of room on both ends for other cars and people to move freely.

The more I look at the scratch patterns on my trunk, the more I believe it is from debris during the garbage collection. I suspect they were trying to bring the trash bags over my trunk and perhaps the bag broke, giving way to for everything hit the top of my trunk and spoiler, at which point they proceeded to drag it across the trunk. It doesn't look like the work of straight up vandalism, ie not your typical keying patterns or deliberate/consistent scratching across multiple panels.
Nope... You read it incorrectly.

I have no idea if you drive by braille or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #13
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:

No one drives there unless they are leaving, a garage spot when I lived in Manhattan was $800 a month at my building, and you do not park them, they do, about 3" from each other. If you live there, your cars bumpers and doors are on borrowed time, no matter what. Think of it like corrosion from snow or acid other natural phenomina, you can not avoid it.
I've always wondered what do you do in this situation? Wait it out I guess? Not much you could do I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #14
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I've always wondered what do you do in this situation? Wait it out I guess? Not much you could do I guess.
simple, forklift.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
pz6193278.50
      05-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #15
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:

I think you may be the a-hole. Why do you think he is an a-hole when it sounded like he did all he could in parking his vehicle properly. NYC has to be the worst place in the country for incurring damage to your vehicle. I never drive there. Train/cab.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I think you may be the a-hole. Why do you think he is an a-hole when it sounded like he did all he could in parking his vehicle properly. NYC has to be the worst place in the country for incurring damage to your vehicle. I never drive there. Train/cab.
Brooklyn-born, learned to drive there, and still visit frequently. It is the absolute worst place I've ever seen to have a nice car. Parking damage is only a matter of when, and not if, and parking there, as well as in Manhattan, is atrocious. However, as bad as it is, it has become accepted as a cultural norm. As a result, these are almost-standard equipment in NYC. No coincidence the Toyota demo shows a NY plate.

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #17
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Brooklyn-born, learned to drive there, and still visit frequently. It is the absolute worst place I've ever seen to have a nice car. Parking damage is only a matter of when, and not if, and parking there, as well as in Manhattan, is atrocious. However, as bad as it is, it has become accepted as a cultural norm. As a result, these are almost-standard equipment in NYC. No coincidence the Toyota demo shows a NY plate.

BAWHAHAHAHAHA.

I see them hanging on the back of NY tagged cars all the time. I've been wondering of those things might do some damage to the pain themselves because at times, I see a bit of flapping going on.
      05-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #18
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Quote:

You read it wrong as well.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #19
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Good for making a point, but unfortunately these photos are from Photoshopingtown - dig the back end of the right-side ute, and the amateurish foreground meld.

Doesn't change the fact that NYC (and probably most other dense urban areas) are going to be a gauntlet. Definitely the place to either run a beater/sleeper, or just factor in routine bodywork when it gets too rashy to tolerate. And OP should first call his insurance if this is over a grand to fix - they can really answer his Q's about the police report, pictures, and if it is OK to start repairs. Probably best if they are the ones getting the security camera footage too, so that it remains legit evidence.
Appreciate 1
b-unit6.50
      06-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #20
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Just thought I'd follow up on this.

I went to a trusted local shop where they did a full repaint of the trunk, rear bumper, and spoiler. PDR on a few dents incurred as well. Paint match and finish is very good and I can virtually tell no difference unless I'm staring super hard (at which point my mind starts playing tricks anyway). For my standard, it's as good as new.

The followup was fortunately very undramatic. I filed a claim with my insurance, and they let me use the shop of my choice with a $250 deductible regardless. I was not required to submit video evidence, and the scumbag restaurant owner repeatedly failed to send me their video recording, which got rotated after a week.

I'm just glad to have the car back...and lesson learned. Fuck NYC.
Appreciate 0