THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Best option for LED or HID lights on a Halogen equipped 228i

05-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
xisthekey
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Best option for LED or HID lights on a Halogen equipped 228i

The LEDs I have gotten in past just dont fit well in the housing and the metal clip that holds them in place is useless at best. Has anyone had luck with any particular brand of either LED or HID kits that fit in the stock housing and stay in place using factory hardware or is there an alternative? Thanks for any help!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Retro fit to HID projector is the only acceptable way in doing it, but no easy task.

Otherwise, you'll blind oncoming traffic if you stick an HID or LED bulb into the reflective housing. At this time there isn't an easy option to do it as the previous BMW generations.

That's why I made sure mine had HID from the factory this time around.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
GC11
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i

I used JW Speaker LED H7 that are available here in Australia. They use Philips elements. They have worked well for the last year although they were a tight fit in the feeble clips. No coding was required or additional units. Philips Australia now have their own H7 LED that looks similar to the JW Speaker unit. Philips Australia also have H7 HID kits but I am not sure of their suitability in the reflectors. I have yet to see a good H15 LED for the DRL/High beams.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 02:25 AM   #4
cxd222
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i Coupe 2016

Hey i am also in Australia and my car came with stock halogen as well... I tried using LED conversion kits (OPT7 one mentioned into another post) and its actually horrifying the beams go everywhere and youll defs blind oncoming traffic and everyone will think you have your high beams on...

I have spent the money to get my lights opened and now im fitted with projectors and a HID kit. I also have aftermarket RGBW rings installed and its so much better and looks OEM. It only cost me $1000 AUD to get it all done.

Spend the money it'll be worth it your car will get a totally new look.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
GC11
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i

An even better option will be to wait for the next F22 update. The spy photos show LED front lights. I presume they are below 1800 lumens (I think that is the cutoff) as they do not seem to have headlight washers. The current base 3 series have a similar setup. I will consider swapping my lights over when/if they are available. I believe that updating the 3 series halogen to LED only requires an intermediary harness and coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
AB4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 220i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxd222 View Post
Hey i am also in Australia and my car came with stock halogen as well... I tried using LED conversion kits (OPT7 one mentioned into another post) and its actually horrifying the beams go everywhere and youll defs blind oncoming traffic and everyone will think you have your high beams on...

I have spent the money to get my lights opened and now im fitted with projectors and a HID kit. I also have aftermarket RGBW rings installed and its so much better and looks OEM. It only cost me $1000 AUD to get it all done.

Spend the money it'll be worth it your car will get a totally new look.
Hey Mate

Have been looking for a solution for this since the moment i got my car and realised my mistake in getting halogen lighting! Where did you get your headlights changed?

Hoping in Sydney.......
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
MrEnthusiast88
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 228i

LED lamp with fan does not fit.

Hi fellow 2er's. Just a bit of insight, If you are going for an led lamp size H15 for your DRL's, do not purchase one with a built-in fan like I did. It's rather large and does not fit in the headlamp housing with out rubbing the back of the headlight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0