E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Bluetooth CK3200 install in E90/92 sunvisor

04-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Bluetooth CK3200 install in E90/92 sunvisor

I didn't want this anywhere on my dasboard, yet wanted the ease of dialing numbers etc on the Parrot. Thought of installing in the the tray between gear lever and armrest, but didn't want to drill a hole there.

So now it is in the sunvisor, out of sight (it was in the ashtray, but now my Dashdyno OBD units sits there, see that DIY):

- remove sunvisor (be a bit careful with the wired connection (it has a miniplug)
- with a sharp hobby knife cut through the glue'd connection between top and bottom half (eg the visible edge around)
- now you can kind of fold it open. Remove the sliding panel. and mirror
- mark where the parrot needs to sit (on the right for LH drives, otherwise the knob hits the light in the ceiling
- mill the styrofoam 4-5 mm out with a dremel. If you don't do this the knob of the parrot sticks out too much. Note don't try to cut out all of the styrofoam underneath with a hobby knife as it did, as a) the covering is glued to well too it, and b) it becomes visible on the outside (eg leave a bit of a styrofoam bottom in)
- mill out a bit for the wire coming out of the parrot
- mill out a channel going to the pivoting mounting point for the cable
- paint the styrofoam behind the parrot black
- cut the sliding panel to shape, and put it back
- put the parrot cable in the milled out provision, and glue the two halves back using appropriate styrofoam glue
- if done well the parrot can now just be fitted with double side tape
- pull off the door sill in the top /front half. Push the parrot's wire and connector thru the hole of the sunvisor pivot point, but not thru the steel hole in the roof (won't get it thru anyway). Instead push it between the steel roof and the lining towards the door sill, but over the side airbag (you can easily feel this with your fingers. Run the parrot cable (and the mike's..) on the inside of the steel door frame and put it the door sill backall back & done..
- see second picture for cable routing

I'm happy with the hidden install & ease of using the parrot. However I made a mistake by trying to cut out the styrofoam...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0