ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
hahayan
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0 Si Coupe

Z4M steering to Non M Z4 3.0si coupe ?

my friend may give me his Z4M steering wheel without paddle shift with multifunction button

my car is 2007 Z4 3.0si with a steering wheel without multifunction but with paddle shift...

what do i need in addional in order to have the Z4M multifuntion wheel work property on my coupe ?

thx..for any sharing
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

i have the same question, i want an OEM m steerin wheel but i have the original one with paddle shifters and multifunction, i dont know if it would fit but send me a message if you get that answered.
thx
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

M steering wheels don't come with paddle shifters cuz the M comes in Stick only. You'd have to use the wiring from the old steering wheel and install them. Check realoem.com to get an idea of how the paddle shifters are installed on the Z4 steering wheel...you should be able to attach them to the M steering wheel, probably need to drill a couple holes for them.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
hahayan
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0 Si Coupe

i jsut get the wheel...wondering anyone has done it ...can share with me?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayan View Post
i jsut get the wheel...wondering anyone has done it ...can share with me?
Take off two screws behind the "arms" of the steering wheel. Take off 1 screw behind the split "spoke". Remove the covers of the "arms" and "split spoke". There should be two spring tabs that releases the airbag from the steering wheel on each side underneath the arms. Once the steering wheel is off, there's a big nut holding the steering wheel in place. Remove nut, mark DEAD CENTER on the nut with a grease pen. Installation is reverse of removal.

A couple of things to note: First, I'm 99.95% certain that the paddle shift wiring harness is integrated into the hub, not the steering wheel, so if your crapmatic comes with the paddles, you should be able to transfer the same hardware over without any issues. Just double check and make sure all the wiring from the paddles that's on the current steering wheel gets transferred to the M steering wheel. I believe the same screws/bolts holding in the cover of the arms/tabs is the same screw that holds the paddles on the Z4 steering wheel, although I never bothered to check when I had my Z4 3.0i with SMG.

Second, the nut in the center of the steering wheel has a specific torque spec you need to absolutely adhere to, unfortunately I don't recall what it is. However, a search on the intarweb should reveal the right torque spec. I'm sure some car nerd/geek out there has it committed t memory.

This diagram may help:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=32&fg=35

Remember the screws on the steering wheel are Torx screws.

Or, if your dealership can order European parts, there's an M steering wheel that comes with paddles:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...34&hg=32&fg=35

PN 32308036556
Appreciate 0