E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > '06-08 Pre-LCI to LCI - Reverse Light Tint DIY

04-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

'06-08 Pre-LCI to LCI - Reverse Light Tint DIY

I just picked up these Pre-LCI reverse light tints from Slickmod.com

I picked mine up off eBay for about $14 shipped ... I figured what the heck, might be better/easier than spray painting and clear coating.

The idea is for these to be an interim solution. Until I pony up the $$ for a Pre-LCI to LCI rear lights swap ... which is a bit down on the list of updates/upgrades.

F

Included is basic instructions, which are pretty straight forward.

Regarding the "fit" ... they cover what they are supposed to, but I would prefer another 1-2mm larger; with about the same less for the cut out, widthwise. The additional material would aid in the overall fitment; insuring when the tints are shrunk, they will fully cover the lense edges.

I did find myself having a bit of issues lining up the tints with the red bottom lenses perfectly. Being rather OCD ... it took a few attempts to get them nicely aligned. Not perfectly though. This is where 'if the tints were a little bit larger' would have been very helpful.

Other than that ... make sure the lenses are clean of any lent, go slow, use a hairdryer to help it contour to the edges, after the tints are set where you want them. I found a microfiber cloth works nicely to smooth out air bubbles. If you are a bit OCD ... being able to say "close enough / that works" ... may be helpful.

The color is a close match, not perfect ... but close enough to not warrant any raised eyebrows. Which goes for the fit too. It would take an inspection of a couple feet or less to notice they're tints.

For $14 ... I'm more than happy with the results so far.

The real test is to see how they hold up to the hot Florida sun and a "south facing" driveway.

If they hold up for over a year - I'd be happy ... and happy to buy another set until I do the swap.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
For about $5 you can get a small roll of red vinyl and cut it to size.

Probably the same as this except these are pre-cut.
Attached Images

04-19-2017, 02:32 AM   #3
Lonestar12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 328i 6MT

Sprayed mine with VHT Night Shade over a year ago and I like it but have noticed a little bit of fading recently, going to spray another coat on them soon.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar12 View Post
Sprayed mine with VHT Night Shade over a year ago and I like it but have noticed a little bit of fading recently, going to spray another coat on them soon.

... ... ...

Yours came out excellent. I was about to go with spray painting them, but came across the tints. I figured, either way they'll likely need a reapplication.

If the tints don't last but a few months, I'll likely go with spraying them.
Appreciate 0