E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > CDV Delete: XI edition

04-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 355

CDV Delete: XI edition

This weekend I performed the CDV delete and noticed two issues I did not remember seeing before on any DIY guide. I'm not sure if this is common to all XI's or just MY2010.

The first issue is that according to all the other DIY guides you should be able to use a small allen wrench to pop out the internals (restrictor) of the CDV and put it back in place. The restrictor in my CDV is molded into the body and is one piece. I assume that BMW changed this at some point but I'm not sure when. I was forced to abandon the CDV all together.

The second issue is that the clutch line hose is too short to connect to the metal clutch line without the CDV. I ended up massaging the metal lines enough to make it connect directly with the rubber hose line which worked out great.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
I read about the potential to stretch out the lines to remove the CDV entirely but decided I'd rather not do that.

Instead I bought the BMS modified CDV for $20 plus shipping. I'm pretty sure it was part of an order of a few things from BMS so didn't pay the shipping just for the CDV.

Anyway, I later learned that the M3 CDV (part # 21522283914) is also a a pass-thru like the BMS CDV. So same deal, you replace the CDV with this and you don't have to stretch the lines. It's $12.31 at ECS.
Appreciate 2
TEC109.00
oolas3388.00
      04-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
E91Swagger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36S52; E91N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
This weekend I performed the CDV delete and noticed two issues I did not remember seeing before on any DIY guide. I'm not sure if this is common to all XI's or just MY2010.

The first issue is that according to all the other DIY guides you should be able to use a small allen wrench to pop out the internals (restrictor) of the CDV and put it back in place. The restrictor in my CDV is molded into the body and is one piece. I assume that BMW changed this at some point but I'm not sure when. I was forced to abandon the CDV all together.

The second issue is that the clutch line hose is too short to connect to the metal clutch line without the CDV. I ended up massaging the metal lines enough to make it connect directly with the rubber hose line which worked out great.
Thinking of doing the cdv delete on my e91xi as well.
Can you please explain how you made the metal line fit?
And how do you like drive after the cdv Del?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 02:19 AM   #4
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91Swagger View Post
Thinking of doing the cdv delete on my e91xi as well.
Can you please explain how you made the metal line fit?
And how do you like drive after the cdv Del?
The metal line is only off by like an inch and a half or so. There is several inches of metal line bent around in a triangular pattern for whatever reason. If you slowly and carefully unbend and stretch that metal line you can get it to fit....just take your time doing it.

I LOVE the way the car shifts now. So much better than before.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

Don't stretch the lines. It's a $20 part or you can drill out your old one. Not worth the chance of having the line come loose for the price, specially when we're driving bmw's. Then again as I don't like to half ass stuff, I wouldn't stretch a line with fluid in it on a huffy?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDriveGerman View Post
Don't stretch the lines. It's a $20 part or you can drill out your old one. Not worth the chance of having the line come loose for the price, specially when we're driving bmw's. Then again as I don't like to half ass stuff, I wouldn't stretch a line with fluid in it on a huffy?
OMG! Really? Half-ass? So f'ing dramatic. If it comes apart you have no busy working on your Huffy let alone a car. You obviously are even taking the time to read the original post as I pointed out clearly that on at least the MY2010 model year it cannot be drilled out. Plus why would you want to risk getting plastic shavings in the clutch line. I guess plastic in your clutch line is a better option than unbending the metal line that you can go to any parts store for next to nothing. You act like its some complicated BMW only technology.

Last edited by TEC; 04-23-2017 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Must have changed. I did it on my 2006 xDrive. The reducer popped right out
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDriveGerman View Post
OMG! Really? Half-ass? So f'ing dramatic. If it comes apart you have no busy working on your Huffy let alone a car. You obviously are even taking the time to read the original post as I pointed out clearly that on at least the MY2010 model year it cannot be drilled out. Plus why would you want to risk getting plastic shavings in the clutch line. I guess plastic in your clutch line is a better option than unbending the metal line that you can go to any parts store for next to nothing. You act like its some complicated BMW only technology.
When I put the price, I though I implied that I purchased it. I did read the original post and wasn't implying that it was some special bmw technology rather for what we spend on/in the cars, why drill it, jut buy it. Don't be so angry.
Appreciate 0