F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Quickjack?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quickjack?

Yay or Nay? I'm thinking about getting back into the maintenance game with my current vehicles. NE1 have experience with this product?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
loggin
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Yay or Nay? I'm thinking about getting back into the maintenance game with my current vehicles. NE1 have experience with this product?

Looks like a decent product.. My only concern would be side to side stability.. Those jack bases seem somewhat narrow.. When you are under the car wrenching around and applying side to side forces, would be horrible if it fell over.. Might want to modify the bases and weld some bars that stick out the sides to give it more stability...?? Just my thoughts..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:

been wanting to get this for a while, looks great to me
      04-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

IMO buy a good jack and jackstands, and then save the money for mods. These don't go much higher than a regular jack/jackstand set up so if you are looking for more height, I would get something like this.

https://www.bigboysgaragetoys.com/products/triumph-nt-9

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggin
Quote:

Looks like a decent product.. My only concern would be side to side stability.. Those jack bases seem somewhat narrow.. When you are under the car wrenching around and applying side to side forces, would be horrible if it fell over.. Might want to modify the bases and weld some bars that stick out the sides to give it more stability...?? Just my thoughts..
ya. Their website and other videos show a long support that extends out from the outward facing edge of each lift.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
jelecroy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2014 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I bought a quickjack last year. I like it, BUT:
1. On the one I got, the upper lift plate is not long enough to span between the F30 lift points. I cut a 2x10 board to extend the span a bit to fit my car. Newer models of the QJ may have extended rails.
2. The QJ uses hydraulic quick disconnects (QDs) to connect hoses to the pump and to the jack cylinders. Those QDs are NOT dripless. They don't make a guge mess, but there are little puddles of hydraulic oil on teh floor from time to time.

That said, the jacks are quick and easy to use, they lock in what appears to be a safe manner, and my car feels quite stable on the jacks. I also use the QJ on our small pickup, and it works great.

Jerry in Alabama
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelecroy
I bought a quickjack last year. I like it, BUT:
1. On the one I got, the upper lift plate is not long enough to span between the F30 lift points. I cut a 2x10 board to extend the span a bit to fit my car. Newer models of the QJ may have extended rails.
2. The QJ uses hydraulic quick disconnects (QDs) to connect hoses to the pump and to the jack cylinders. Those QDs are NOT dripless. They don't make a guge mess, but there are little puddles of hydraulic oil on teh floor from time to time.

That said, the jacks are quick and easy to use, they lock in what appears to be a safe manner, and my car feels quite stable on the jacks. I also use the QJ on our small pickup, and it works great.

Jerry in Alabama
Thanks Jerry,

I've read that the quick disconnects can leak some fluid. Did you buy the 5000lb rated Jack? That's what I was thinking about.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #8
Soobahru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 diesel

I have had a quick Jack even before owning my current f36. Have not had a chance to get it on the QJ yet. Previously used it to get my Subaru up to perform maintenance and mods. For my experience it's worth it if you will find yourself under the car often. I have the 5000xl model.

Jack and jack stands are great but once you have a lowered vehicle the dance to get it up on stands can be work all in itself.

This tools gives you more time to actually work on the vehicle.

As in previous posts I made, I haven't gotten the f36 up on the QJ because I'm not sure if it needs the jackpad adapters.

Post it up when/if you make the purchase.
Appreciate 0