E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 4x4! ABS Light transfer case actuator motor?

04-10-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

4x4! ABS Light transfer case actuator motor?

Idk if you'd be able to help but it's worth a shot. I have an 09 328i xdrive and I've had this light on. The brake light was never on, just the 4x4 abs. I diagnosed it using icarly and it said something about the transfercase. So I changed the transfer case actuator and the front wheels have power and they're moving but the light still remains and I've tried to erase the memory and no help. After erasing the memory I'm still getting this fault[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

foot in mouth, was thinking of 54c4 code. With that said i would still look at the t-case. when you say front wheels still spin, is that just up on the lift (ie no load)? how are you able to verify they have "power" (ie load)? it is possible that they are spinning as a result of friction in the fluid, but if you apply any load to the wheels they will not spin...

Last edited by ucdbiendog; 04-10-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdbiendog View Post
foot in mouth, was thinking of 54c4 code. With that said i would still look at the t-case. when you say front wheels still spin, is that just up on the lift (ie no load)? how are you able to verify they have "power" (ie load)? it is possible that they are spinning as a result of friction in the fluid, but if you apply any load to the wheels they will not spin...
Can you point me in the right direction? I've looked everywhere about this subject and only thing that came up was the motor actuator
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On a lift
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmit2017 View Post
On a lift
I would take it with a grain of salt then. I don't know how you would test that safely either, maybe on a 4WD dyno? did you also change the resistor on the actuator motor? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that needs to be coded....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
On a lift
I would take it with a grain of salt then. I don't know how you would test that safely either, maybe on a 4WD dyno? did you also change the resistor on the actuator motor? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that needs to be coded....
Yes the resistor was changed. Regardless of whether the 4x4 worked under pressure or not the new actuator didn't remove the error on the dash even after trying to clear all errors. I read somewhere it could be due to some needle in the transmission that isn't locking in place? Or something like that. Do you know what I should try next
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes the resistor was changed. Regardless of whether the 4x4 worked under pressure or not the new actuator didn't remove the error on the dash even after trying to clear all errors. I read somewhere it could be due to some needle in the transmission that isn't locking in place? Or something like that. Do you know what I should try next
check this thread out if for nothing less than to get an idea what the inside looks like:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317462
What was wrong in those two cases was a needle BEARING basically disintegrated, causing the clutchpack to not be able to engage. A way you can check that (at least this is what my mechanic did when i brought it in) is to remove the actuator motor, and stick your finger inside the t-case to feel for the gear (the clutch gear that the actuator is supposed to engage). If the gear is there, can you spin it to a point where it is no longer going to contact the actuator? the cost of doing this check is the fluid since it will need to be drained. I would probably start with having the resistor coded to see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
check this thread out if for nothing less than to get an idea what the inside looks like:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317462
What was wrong in those two cases was a needle BEARING basically disintegrated, causing the clutchpack to not be able to engage. A way you can check that (at least this is what my mechanic did when i brought it in) is to remove the actuator motor, and stick your finger inside the t-case to feel for the gear (the clutch gear that the actuator is supposed to engage). If the gear is there, can you spin it to a point where it is no longer going to contact the actuator? the cost of doing this check is the fluid since it will need to be drained. I would probably start with having the resistor coded to see if that helps.
I have several coding softwares and devices, what do you mean to have the resistor coded? It was also changed. And does the gear look like this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep

no, i have never seen such a gear. i believe there is a value on the resistor that needs to be coded into the car. i did not do this myself, the shop to which i brought my car did (so they said), so my knowledge is limited to that.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Lexxxx
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i 2011 coupe

Quote:
Idk if you'd be able to help but it's worth a shot. I have an 09 328i xdrive and I've had this light on. The brake light was never on, just the 4x4 abs. I diagnosed it using icarly and it said something about the transfercase. So I changed the transfer case actuator and the front wheels have power and they're moving but the light still remains and I've tried to erase the memory and no help. After erasing the memory I'm still getting this fault[IMG][/IMG]

ever figure out the problem to this?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:01 PM   #11
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxxx View Post
Quote:

ever figure out the problem to this?
Nope. I read somewhere that it needs calibration because of the new resistor, but I haven't had time to look deeper into it yet
Appreciate 0