M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > M2 at VIR track report

04-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

M2 at VIR track report

First time for the new car, at a new (to me) track, with all kinds of weather guest instructing with the Tar Heel BMWCCA last weekend. Summary and a few thoughts below:

Car configuration:
2107 DCT
Stock tires & suspension
Only mods: GC camber plates, Hawk DTC70 pads, 4 point belts

First ever time at VIR, so still on learning curve, but 2:12.3 best on Full course during the Sunday instructor session (light but non-zero traffic). There were clearly a few seconds left to find next time back.

Take away impressions and thoughts:

Car: is a truck load of fun. Drives very much like my E36 track car, but with more power, more brakes, and softer suspension. No doubt firmer springs and track wheelset and this car would be very fast and ratted out in no time!

Camber plates: Ground Control adustables, set to -2.75, and already paid for themselves in tire savings. Three days, and the front tires looked great. Swapped side to side on Sunday, and was very pleased with wear distribution. Haven't bought track wheels yet, and wanted not to destroy the outside edges. VERY satisfied

Brakes: Big stopping power all day long. No issues. Installed Hawk DTC 70s before the drive down. May actually go to a less aggressive initial bite pad next time, as I'm now 100% left foot braking and that foot still isn't as fine motor coordinated as my right, but big stopping power from high speeds

4 point belts: Schroth QuickClip Pro - Combined with stock seats, held me in place well and allowed use of my HANS. No brainer for me

DCT: A first for me. Picked this option for the quicker shifting and ability to left foot brake ALL the time to allow higher/more consistent high speed corner entry speeds, and finer weight transfer control. Verdict - PF awesome! I felt like I could fix anything - under and oversteer, on the way in, mid corner and on the way out with either foot. Wow. Really loving that, and using it, particularly as a first timer at this track.

In the end, had a great weekend in a really nice street car that can play on tracks too far from home to drive the track car, and 27 mpg, A/C and Bluetooth audio on the way home. What's not to like?

Last edited by rjn; 04-27-2017 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 5
IS350117.00
koastal375.50
DrKevM52262.00
Bosozoku693.50
      04-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Good stuff! I have gone to this HPDE the past three years. Just bad timing in regards to only getting my M2 a few weeks before this event. Cannot wait to drive VIR in the M2!
rjn42.50
      04-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Nice report. Car seems positively consistent in the many track reports I have seen. BMW has done it right on this M2!

Wait until you get some real rubber on the wheels, drastic difference in grip, you will love it even more!
Appreciate 1
rjn42.50
      04-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Twt
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the details on VIR event. After driving my DCT car at four different tracks, going from pure stock (except brakes)to GC plates, MP coilovers, 18 square wheels and RE71s in 265/35/18, your observations are spot on. Every upgrade made the car better, faster and easier to control....and I can still arrive and drive.
Appreciate 1
rjn42.50
      04-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2:12:13.. Jesus that is fast.
I've come to terms last year that I can never deal with that much pucker factor @ VIR. I finally got comfortable with the car and the best I have done is 2:18s

How long have you been racing your E36?

I was down there with you at VIR with B group; Sunday combined both groups; which color was yours? Were you the LBB instructor car? or the white one?
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
2:12:13..

How long have you been racing your E36?

I was down there with you at VIR with B group; Sunday combined both groups; which color was yours? Were you the LBB instructor car? or the white one?
I've been tracking the same E36 in various states from street car to race car tunesince ...gulp...1997

My M2 was the white one, I think the only one there that weekend. I really started on the back foot Friday with all the rain, but by the end of the weekend was starting to feel like I was "getting it". Great track. Need to get back again.

Was thinking the back stretch at 140 was pretty fast...until my B student in his newish M6 touched an indicated 160 and still hauled it down with reasonable margin before Roller Coaster...now THAT felt fast!

Last edited by rjn; 04-09-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn View Post
I've been driving the same E36 in various states from street car to race car tunesince ...gulp...1997

My M2 was the white one, I think the only one there that weekend. I really started on the back foot Friday with all the rain, but by the end of the weekend was starting to feel like I was "getting it". Great track. Need to get back again.

Was thinking the back stretch at 140 was pretty fast...until my B student in his newish M6 touched an indicated 160 and still hauled it down with reasonable margin before Roller Coaster...now THAT felt fast!
Oh yes, I remember that M6 haha.. it was hauling some speed on the back straight; you coached him well!
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #8
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

any cooling issues on track? do you by chance have specific coolant and oil temperatures?
      04-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
any cooling issues on track? do you by chance have specific coolant and oil temperatures?
No and no.
Did watch the "Algorithm combo meter" - Never budged above center.
Ambients in the 60s for the most part that weekend
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #10
PlattM2
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I was back at VIR first time in 7 years . Unfortunately only did one session. Very quick vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
iceboss23
Private
Rep

I just did an Audi advanced event at VIR and put down several 2:17s. I am not the best driver by far and like day laborer have a limited amount of pucker I'll accept in this car. Stock everything but Pagid RS-29s that now have 4 HDPE days and 2 solid open track days and still have about half the pad remaining and Motul 600. No fade issues, no issues at all really. No overheating on 80F days. Of note I did get Mike Levitas to drive it and he said that outside a few very minor tweaks to rear toe and camber he wouldn't touch it. High praise from someone who makes a living on race car chassis set up. Overall an amazing car and I'm happy I have a lot left to grow into as I improve.
Appreciate 1
rjn42.50
      04-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
f87chas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

What did Mike Levitas recommend as far as rear toe and camber settings?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #13
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

rjn, Thanks for posting this. Glad to hear the experience from an experienced track driver. Had to laugh about the 1997 though, I think that was my first year too. So old...I mean, wise. Cheers.

BTW, I'm in the TarHeel region too, but never ran a track event with them, just the performance center "Autocross" last December. Were you there too?

Scratch that. I meant SandLapper.

Last edited by Noel911; 04-14-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
rjn42.50
      04-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #14
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel911 View Post
rjn, Thanks for posting this. Glad to hear the experience from an experienced track driver. Had to laugh about the 1997 though, I think that was my first year too. So old...I mean, wise. Cheers.

BTW, I'm in the TarHeel region too, but never ran a track event with them, just the performance center "Autocross" last December. Were you there too?

Scratch that. I meant SandLapper.
Thanks. Nope. I'm in Indiana. This new car enables farther away "bucket list" tracks for me. I've been promising to get down to a Tar Heel event for several years. Finally did it. Great folks. Great event.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

Quote:
Thanks. Nope. I'm in Indiana. This new car enables farther away "bucket list" tracks for me. I've been promising to get down to a Tar Heel event for several years. Finally did it. Great folks. Great event.
Ah, Indiana, I used to live next door in Ohio and used to run at Putnam Park about 15 odd years ago. Fun Track.

Cheers,

Noel
Appreciate 1
rjn42.50
      04-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #16
iceboss23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87chas View Post
What did Mike Levitas recommend as far as rear toe and camber settings?
He said he would definitely want to get it on his table to find out where it's currently at and work from there but from the one lap he did he said probably not more than minimal adjustments to rear toe and camber. For obvious reasons he isnt going to give specific numbers without actually getting it on the machine.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #17
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
First time for the new car, at a new (to me) track, with all kinds of weather guest instructing with the Tar Heel BMWCCA last weekend. Summary and a few thoughts below:

Car configuration:
2107 DCT
Stock tires & suspension

Brakes: Big stopping power all day long. No issues. Installed Hawk DTC 70s before the drive down. May actually go to a less aggressive initial bite pad next time, as I'm now 100% left foot braking and that foot still isn't as fine motor coordinated as my right, but big stopping power from high speeds
can you tell me alittle more about the pads. how was pad wear? i've been running PFC 08 for track in my e36. very impressed with the longevity and bite of this "endurance" pad, but offset by high price. the hawks are on my radar because i like their street pad offerings, but have never tried their "race" pads and they come in at a much economical pricepoint.

thanks
      04-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #18
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
can you tell me alittle more about the pads. how was pad wear? i've been running PFC 08 for track in my e36. very impressed with the longevity and bite of this "endurance" pad, but offset by high price. the hawks are on my radar because i like their street pad offerings, but have never tried their "race" pads and they come in at a much economical pricepoint.

thanks
Not with comparative authority...I've been using Hawk DTC-70s on my E36 for at least 5 years, and HT12s or something before that. I haven't used PFC for ages, but have also heard good things about the 08s - to the point I was going to try them, but they simply weren't available with high confidence prior to the drive to the event, so I went with familiar choices.

So in simplest terms, I like them. They look like they'll last a good while, they do stop really well, and cost a bit less than some other options. Specific to the M2, I can't really comment on longevity, as I haven't been through a set yet. After the three day VIR event, there's lots of pad left, and while I can tell the rotors were more worn than before, hard to compare after only one weekend.

On the E36 track car, I generally get 2 seasons out of a set of front rotors, and 15 - 18 days out of set of front pads (5-6 Three day weekends), but again, that's a different car.

Can you comment on how long wearables last with the 08s on either this or your other car? I'm also interested in learning more about them.

Hope this helps, but really hard to make significant claims of any substance yet. BTW, I used the stock fluid with no issues, if that's of any interest.

P.S. Love your signature. It's my exact situation as well
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #19
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not with comparative authority...I've been using Hawk DTC-70s on my E36 for at least 5 years, and HT12s or something before that. I haven't used PFC for ages, but have also heard good things about the 08s - to the point I was going to try them, but they simply weren't available with high confidence prior to the drive to the event, so I went with familiar choices.

So in simplest terms, I like them. They look like they'll last a good while, they do stop really well, and cost a bit less than some other options. Specific to the M2, I can't really comment on longevity, as I haven't been through a set yet. After the three day VIR event, there's lots of pad left, and while I can tell the rotors were more worn than before, hard to compare after only one weekend.

On the E36 track car, I generally get 2 seasons out of a set of front rotors, and 15 - 18 days out of set of front pads (5-6 Three day weekends), but again, that's a different car.

Can you comment on how long wearables last with the 08s on either this or your other car? I'm also interested in learning more about them.

Hope this helps, but really hard to make significant claims of any substance yet. BTW, I used the stock fluid with no issues, if that's of any interest.

P.S. Love your signature. It's my exact situation as well
i'm only getting about 1.5 seasons out of my front rotors. i need to switch to the premium centric blanks that everyone uses (except me)

my PFCs are still going strong after 1 season of about 5 or 6 weekend track events. probably at least another event or 2 left.

i love my e36. so fun to drive, but so easy on consumables and cheap enough to just fix.

i have a set of DTC-60s in reserve to swap in when the PFCs are done, so i was wondering about the change-up.

i will probably pick up a set of DTC70s for the M2 if i decide to run her at Hyperfest (VIR) in May. I probably will also do the front camber plates as well.
rjn42.50
      04-27-2017, 06:03 AM   #20
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:

Car configuration:
2107 DCT
Stock tires & suspension

First ever time at VIR, so still on learning curve, but 2:12.3 best during Sunday instructor session (light but non-zero traffic). There were clearly a few seconds left to find next time back.

Take away impressions and thoughts:

Car: is a truck load of fun. Drives very much like my E36 track car, but with more power, more brakes, and softer suspension. No doubt firmer springs and track wheelset and this car would be very fast and ratted out in no time!

Camber plates: Ground Control adustables, set to -2.75, and already paid for themselves in tire savings. Three days, and the front tires looked great. Swapped side to side on Sunday, and was very pleased with wear distribution. Haven't bought track wheels yet, and wanted not to destroy the outside edges. VERY satisfied

4 point belts: Schroth QuickClip Pro - Combined with stock seats, held me in place well and allowed use of my HANS. No brainer for me

DCT: A first for me. Picked this option for the quicker shifting and ability to left foot brake ALL the time to allow higher/more consistent high speed corner entry speeds, and finer weight transfer control. Verdict - PF awesome! I felt like I could fix anything - under and oversteer, on the way in, mid corner and on the way out with either foot. Wow. Really loving that, and using it, particularly as a first timer at this track.

In the end, had a great weekend in a really nice street car that can play on tracks too far from home to drive the track car, and 27 mpg, A/C and Bluetooth audio on the way home. What's not to like?
Wow, congrats! Guessing this was the FULL course?
Appreciate 1
rjn42.50
      04-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #21
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Yes, Full course. Should have said that up front. Will fix
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #22
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Yes, Full course. Should have said that up front. Will fix
Thanks
No problem! Have you done the Grand?
Appreciate 0