BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Rear quarter panel plastic film – tell me why I shouldn’t remove it

04-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Rear quarter panel plastic film – tell me why I shouldn’t remove it

I’m so fed up with that plastic film on the rear quarter panel that I’m ready to remove it. My M2 is white and I’ve had it for six months. The plastic film is beginning to yellow (just a little, but it is definitely not clear) and no matter what I try (simple washing, polish / wax) I cannot get the leading edge clean. It always looks black, not dramatically so, but there it is… a thin line of black along the leading edge of the film. Paint breathes, but it can’t underneath that damn plastic. That can’t be good for the paint long term?

I never drive on gravel roads. I do drive the car in winter. Will I really end up with stone chips if I remove it? Can anyone convince me that it should stay on the car? What are the pros and cons? Has anyone removed it and can report how much damage results?
      04-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

I removed them and then my car exploded the next day on my way to work.
Appreciate 18
SoCalRob281.00
luvmybmmr305.00
1M Tex240.00
Tag18115.00
emargul204.50
Aust350z243.00
AlexCirci496.50
F87LUV3689.00
Makman230.50
BAN_M2C4171.00
      04-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

"Exploded"??? What do you mean?
      04-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
"Exploded"??? What do you mean?
I'm quite certain he's being sarcastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Geez, do I feel stupid.... but seriously now ....
      04-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I’m so fed up with that plastic film on the rear quarter panel that I’m ready to remove it. My M2 is white and I’ve had it for six months. The plastic film is beginning to yellow (just a little, but it is definitely not clear) and no matter what I try (simple washing, polish / wax) I cannot get the leading edge clean. It always looks black, not dramatically so, but there it is… a thin line of black along the leading edge of the film. Paint breathes, but it can’t underneath that damn plastic. That can’t be good for the paint long term?

I never drive on gravel roads. I do drive the car in winter. Will I really end up with stone chips if I remove it? Can anyone convince me that it should stay on the car? What are the pros and cons? Has anyone removed it and can report how much damage results?
Remove em and do expell on the full panel. I got a little rock chip right above that stock film
      04-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
I'm guessing BMW, possibly in wind tunnel testing, realized the wide flared rear panels were being sand blasted over time, hence the protective film. I doubt the film quality is as high as XPEL type commercial products. I don't see any reason you couldn't replace it with one of these films. I'll have to see over time how my CQuartz Finest http://www.cqfinest.com/ paint treatment protects the rear film.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Might the process of removing the factory installed film damage the underlying paint? -scr
Appreciate 1
zmo105.50
      04-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
reddemon
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

the yellowish is due to the glue of the film used.it is not the film that turns yellow.
if you look at most of the porsches, they have the film as well.
I would suggest peel it off.

not sure if autozkin is available in your country.
this definitely works better than xpel.

I've used xpel for 2 of my previous ride and let me tell you autozkin definitely beats xpel.

http://www.autozkin.com/about-us/

do check out the videos in youtube.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
The more film and paint treatment referrals the better. But in the end, it may come down to making a choice from recommended merchants in your locale.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Here ya go. Looks like it's possible to remove without doing any damage. In this case it was removed and replaced with Xpel.

http://www.hughsdetailing.com/blog/2...-xpel-ultimate
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #12
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

I removed it a week after owning the car (picked it up last June) and so far i only have 2 super small rock chips, basically the size of the end of a needle. Also removed it without any paint damage, just pulled it right off.

So my vote is to remove it, especially since you have AW
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
_bmwdriver_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT

Quote:
Geez, do I feel stupid.... but seriously now ....
Don't feel stupid...he's an asshole
      04-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bmwdriver - Your photos are awesome.

Last edited by andrettifan; 04-05-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
I removed it a week after owning the car (picked it up last June) and so far i only have 2 super small rock chips, basically the size of the end of a needle. Also removed it without any paint damage, just pulled it right off.

I know there are lots of owners here that love that XPEL application. Frankly, I'm old school and not in love with the idea of any kind of plastic film on my car. So, I'm really glad to hear that you removed the factory stuff and after nine months or so you have very little damage to the rear panels.

Did you have to use any heat to remove it? Blow dryer? Any advice? Can you tell I'm nervous about doing this?

XPEL advocates - in case I regret this after removing the factory material, can an XPEL shop apply their product without a template made from the factory application? In other words, can they apply XPEL to the rear quarter panel exactly matching the factory shape and size? I have no experience whatsoever with that stuff. Will it yellow like the factory material did (in only six months!)??

Last edited by andrettifan; 04-05-2017 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: spelling - hate it when I do that
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #16
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Quote:

I know there are lots of owners here that love that XPEL application. Frankly, I'm old school and not in love with the idea of any kind of plastic film on my car. So, I'm really glad to hear that you removed the factory stuff and after nine months or so you have very little damage to the rear panels.

Did you have to use any heat to remove it? Blow dryer? Any advice? Can you tell I'm nervous about doing this?

XPEL advocates - in case I regret this after removing the factory material, can an XPEL shop apply their product without a template made from the factory application? In other words, can they apply XPEL to the rear quarter panel exactly matching the factory shape and size? I have no experience whatsoever with that stuff. Will it yellow like the factory material did (in only six months!)??
I had the factory piece taken off and replaced with an xpel piece at the same time I had my front end xpel done. The xpel template is slightly larger than the factory piece so provides a little extra protection. I'm very happy with it and there was no paint damage from removal of the stock film.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Even without driving on gravel roads you will experience chips in that area beyond the factory plastic. I have seen it on all of the press cars I have seen and all of the M2's at the BMW performance center. I had it removed and my Xpel guy put an expanded piece on that area which is far more protective and far less visible than the factory crap. The shape of the rockers makes them very vulnerable to chips right before the rear tires also. I am an Xpel fan but then again Arizona is not kind to paint so its essential here if you want a nice car.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #18
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Even without driving on gravel roads you will experience chips in that area beyond the factory plastic. I have seen it on all of the press cars I have seen and all of the M2's at the BMW performance center. I had it removed and my Xpel guy put an expanded piece on that area which is far more protective and far less visible than the factory crap. The shape of the rockers makes them very vulnerable to chips right before the rear tires also. I am an Xpel fan but then again Arizona is not kind to paint so its essential here if you want a nice car.
100% agreed. Remove the stock piece and put an expanded piece of whatever film you prefer. I did this and couldn't be more relieved that I did. One 200 mile roadtrip from Seattle to Portland in pissing rain was enough to show me just how much abuse the leading edge of that rear fender takes.

My last car had even bigger rear flares but I never had a problem with chips on that leading edge. This is just a theory and I have no proof to back it up, but my guess is that it has to do with the way in which the trailing edge of the front fender cuts in dramatically where it meets the rocker panel. It's leaves the rear fender in the "line of fire" from the front tires. My Z had little plastic bits that flared the rocker panel out and blocked any debris that might fling off the front tire. The M2 is lacking this and I suspect it might be why it chews up that fender so readily.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #19
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Quote:

I had the factory piece taken off and replaced with an xpel piece at the same time I had my front end xpel done. The xpel template is slightly larger than the factory piece so provides a little extra protection. I'm very happy with it and there was no paint damage from removal of the stock film.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

All of you above, thanks so much for the advice. I was convinced I should remove the factory film - but that was only half the answer. I'm now convinced that I should (and will) remove it, but replace it with XPEL (there is a reputable installer near me in CT). If I'm still unhappy with that, I can always remove it later. In the meantime, while I'm not obsessive about avoiding every possible mark on the paint, this does seem like a reasonable thing to do given the design of that rear quarter panel.

This is what I love about this forum... folks are generous with their time and care about helping others solve problems.
      04-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #21
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
More visually obvious with AW.

Jan 12, 2016:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Move to the rear and you will notice that the rear wheel arches are way more subtle than on the 1M and feel less agressive. The stone protection stickers are an absolute no go for me. I will get PPF fitted to the complete car to protect it against stone chips.
Dirt tends to keep sticking on the edge of the stone chips film stickered on the rear fender. Of the four colors on offer for the M2, the 'dirt line' of the film will be most visible on AW, methinks.
Feb 23, 2016:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Thought I read someone say that the cars at the auto shows had paint protection on the rear arches already... maybe this is just for the show cars.
No, that's a stock feature on every M2.
And of all four colors, dirt will be a bit more visible on the borderline of the film on an AW M2.

04-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #22
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Remove em and do expell on the full panel. I got a little rock chip right above that stock film
I am with him. LOL. I have a 14 year old car with 140000 miles and it has the same kind of plastic film in the same location. The area just in front of the sheet is all sand blasted and the sheet itself is worn. I began noticing it after the first winter. I always wondered why they did not cover the entire front edge of the rear fender with a larger piece. I never did much with it. Adds to the patina of the car!

But if you want to have the protection that they are trying for in that area I agree with replacing it with a full coverage piece from the front of the fender to beyond the original area of coverage, that makes much more sense than the little patch.

Mine is yellowing also by the way.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0