BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire change imminent... Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S?

04-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Tire change imminent... Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S?

You know that feeling that you've driven almost 30,000 km. You look at the tires and you know that you need to get new ones soon...

Front left
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/awntzcr6i...J9OYjxYma?dl=0

Front right
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gak47gb2t...2BMSEBdra?dl=0

Rear left
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vovpxzk9f...aKuydMYSa?dl=0

Rear right
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pzl0vrzo4...DU8NI-lza?dl=0

Looking at the current tire track depths on the wheels, I am close to a change, but am I thinking.... Can I drive another 4K km before I change these?

And then the second question... What to change it to? Same Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S? In the end, my car is a daily driver with a small number of track days a year.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, since I am just searching for more feedback from different directions also after reading it all in the forum here.

(My current mindset says; Drive on this set until the end of month, cover those extra 4K km, do the 30K service and fit a P4S set)

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

(My current mindset says; Drive on this set until the end of month, cover those extra 4K km, do the 30K service and fit a P4S set)

MR
This.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
This.
Hahah I am also here to hear more input from you guys.

Just got information that the P4S tires do not have a star marking on them and are therefore not certified for the BMW M2. Question is; does this make any kind of difference?

Also got the first prices and both sets are priced similarly. There is hardly any difference.

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
racer34v
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I'm curious why Nitto does not get any love on the forum? I am going to try invos for my next set.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Quote:
This.
Hahah I am also here to hear more input from you guys.

Just got information that the P4S tires do not have a star marking on them and are therefore not certified for the BMW M2. Question is; does this make any kind of difference?

Also got the first prices and both sets are priced similarly. There is hardly any difference.

MR
I personally don't think the star marking makes any difference to the overall quality and build of the tyre.

P4S is the latest and greatest and improves on the PSS as it replacement. I would expect costs to therefore be very similar.

No point buying PSS when P4S is available in my mind. Would you buy a pre-LCI for the same price as an LCI if both available at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

If there is no difference in price (or only slight) I'd pick the new, improved tire: the P4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I personally don't think the star marking makes any difference to the overall quality and build of the tyre.

P4S is the latest and greatest and improves on the PSS as it replacement. I would expect costs to therefore be very similar.

No point buying PSS when P4S is available in my mind. Would you buy a pre-LCI for the same price as an LCI if both available at the same time?
Only if the pre-LCI is officially tested and marked with a star or whatever other certification is required...

MR
Appreciate 0