BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions First Impressions: 530d MSport SDrive

04-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport Med Blue

First Impressions: 530d MSport SDrive

Wow!

Wow!

Picked it up first thing yesterday and have managed to do 350 km over motorway and the most challenging roads that Ireland can throw at you (for those of you familiar with the Burren and West Clare generally you'll appreciate).

All comments are benchmarked against my previous 530d Running on passive M Sport suspension on 19s, as is the new car.

- Oh so quiet, as sung by Bjork...the ambient noise levels are significantly reduced
- the ride is so much more comfortable

Both of the above were independently endorsed and commented on - without prompting - by a very critical passenger (I.e wife!) - who didn't like any of my previous bone shakers as she termed them....

For me, in spite of the comfort described above, the handling is superb, almost akin to the F 30 330d M Sport I had a couple years ago. It really does feel like a smaller car than the F 10. Yes, the comfort steering could be described as a tad light, but it so much more nimble that the F10.

The doors and trunk - no doubt due to the weight saving aluminium - feel light, might be an issue for some people...

There is noticeably more space for rear passengers but I will reserve judgement on the boot until I go golfing in the morning.

I think the M Sport steering wheel is of larger diameter than the one I had in the F 10, at least it seems that way, and that would be a negative for me.

The standard sports seat are much more comfortable, the cushioning seems softer as does the headrest, but support is still fine.

Haven't had an opportunity to test the latest iteration of Icon lights at night yet, that's another test to be scheduled.

The newer version of ambient internal lighting is funkier, in a 1980s disco sense, if you look at all the colour options, and the ability to differentiate between the upper and lower levels, me, I'll stick with plain old BMW orange to match the cognac leather.

I am glad I saved €1500 by not specifying the head up display which I had on the last car. The fully digital dashboard display does provide all necessary information, including navigation instructions, in a manner which doesn't distract too much from the road...

...and anyway I was pleased to find out that it has collision and pedestrian avoidance as standard (a red warning symbol did flash at me at one point without me trying to provoke it, but I did try a couple of times to see how sensitive it is but was too chicken to really test it!). I'm assuming - hoping - that the extra second or so taken to look down for Nav instructions on the dashboard as opposed to a HUD will be mitigated by this system...

I like the fact that the standard 664 19 inch rims are bi colour, the outward facing spokes are silver but the rest is grey, making it easier to appear clean!

As I said, first impressions...pictures will follow once I get an opportunity to get some super resin polish applied...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY View Post
Wow!

Wow!

Picked it up first thing yesterday and have managed to do 350 km over motorway and the most challenging roads that Ireland can throw at you (for those of you familiar with the Burren and West Clare generally you'll appreciate).

All comments are benchmarked against my previous 530d Running on passive M Sport suspension on 19s, as is the new car.

- Oh so quiet, as sung by Bjork...the ambient noise levels are significantly reduced

Both of the above were independently endorsed and commented on - without prompting - by a very critical passenger (I.e wife!) - who didn't like any of my previous bone shakers as she termed them....

For me, in spite of the comfort described above, the handling is superb, almost akin to the F 30 330d M Sport I had a couple years ago. It really does feel like a smaller car than the F 10. Yes, the comfort steering could be described as a tad light, but it so much more nimble that the F10.

The doors and trunk - no doubt due to the weight saving aluminium - feel light, might be an issue for some people...

There is noticeably more space for rear passengers but I will reserve judgement on the boot until I go golfing in the morning.

I think the M Sport steering wheel is of larger diameter than the one I had in the F 10, at least it seems that way, and that would be a negative for me.

The standard sports seat are much more comfortable, the cushioning seems softer as does the headrest, but support is still fine.

Haven't had an opportunity to test the latest iteration of Icon lights at night yet, that's another test to be scheduled.

The newer version of ambient internal lighting is funkier, in a 1980s disco sense, if you look at all the colour options, and the ability to differentiate between the upper and lower levels, me, I'll stick with plain old BMW orange to match the cognac leather.

I am glad I saved €1500 by not specifying the head up display which I had on the last car. The fully digital dashboard display does provide all necessary information, including navigation instructions, in a manner which doesn't distract too much from the road...

...and anyway I was pleased to find out that it has collision and pedestrian avoidance as standard (a red warning symbol did flash at me at one point without me trying to provoke it, but I did try a couple of times to see how sensitive it is but was too chicken to really test it!). I'm assuming - hoping - that the extra second or so taken to look down for Nav instructions on the dashboard as opposed to a HUD will be mitigated by this system...

I like the fact that the standard 664 19 inch rims are bi colour, the outward facing spokes are silver but the rest is grey, making it easier to appear clean!

As I said, first impressions...pictures will follow once I get an opportunity to get some super resin polish applied...
Thanks for the first thoughts.

I love the comment about the wheels. Spending ages brushing away with bilberry, at least I don't have to worry too much about the final specs!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
54Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Quote:
...I am glad I saved €1500 by not specifying the head up display which I had on the last car. The fully digital dashboard display does provide all necessary information...
Wrong MMY, just wrong...
Glad you love it. Can't wait to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Wow!

Wow!

Just keeping the heat on, you're on the hook for pix...

04-02-2017, 01:14 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Thanks for sharing the details , you are impressed by the car and love it that's the thing that is important to me . I think you must be liking the 360 view or park assistant when you test it . HUD is a must for me although it isn't necessary . I would love to hear your thoughts on LED Display Key if you got one
      04-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Folks, getting an error message when trying to attach pictures (assume one uses the file attachment process at the top of the message edit box, it tells me that there is a security issue .... please help if you want to see them!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

OK, think I figured it, had to reduce the file sizes...

Some notes:

- as I commented initially, I didn't realise the interior of the 664 wheels are grey, making them look cleaner; as an added bonus, there is a lip on the Pirelli tyres if you can make it out which sits proud of the alloys, should help to avoid kerbing!

- tried to show the contract between cognac, aluminium rhombicle and the rest of the trim: it works for me! Although the aluminium effect is two dimensional rather than the pattern being overlaid, its better than the brushed alu I had in previous cars; Piano Black would work but as somebody else remarked €1000 is a lot of beer money

- as regards the comments on HUD, I had one in my last car but I think the comments come from the US where you do not get the all digital cockpit like I have, which in my short time I find more than adequate ... and another €1500 is a helluva of a lot of beer money when you're working to a budget which has been drastically curtailed by the collapse in valued of used F10s here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
ThreethirtyDee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport

Looks great - mine arrives Thursday

Need to change your user profile footer
      04-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreethirtyDee View Post
Looks great - mine arrives Thursday

Need to change your user profile footer
Done!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #10
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Beautiful G30!

Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Beautiful! The interior is clean, sporty and rich. Nice job!! I love Med blue too. When clean and in the sun? Its just gorgeous.
      04-03-2017, 05:50 AM   #12
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d

Congratulations looks gorgeous. Are you doing the Mondello day this week? Excellent day out.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 05:56 AM   #13
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Congrats on your G30, very nice.
Hopefully I will get to try the 530d soon.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:11 AM   #14
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
Congratulations looks gorgeous. Are you doing the Mondello day this week? Excellent day out.
I was booked in for last Saturday but had to cancel so I'll have to wait for something similar to come up again...when I picked up mine I enquired about the Active Guard which was listed as standard. Apparently it does have autonomous emergency breaking fitted as standard - there is a stereo KAFAS camera upfront beside the rear-view mirror: did they mention this at Mondello, which I gather was to be a demo of driver assitance tech, as well as a spin in an M car???
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #15
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Congrats - it looks really great.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #16
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d

Quote:
I was booked in for last Saturday but had to cancel so I'll have to wait for something similar to come up again...when I picked up mine I enquired about the Active Guard which was listed as standard. Apparently it does have autonomous emergency breaking fitted as standard - there is a stereo KAFAS camera upfront beside the rear-view mirror: did they mention this at Mondello, which I gather was to be a demo of driver assitance tech, as well as a spin in an M car???
When we got there we were split into 3 different groups of 4 each. In my group we started by driving RWD and X- Drive cars on the grass to see how traction control works. We then drove around the track to get a feel for semi autonomous driving and adaptive cruise control. We were supposed to test emergency braking but one guy in my group droned on and on asking pointless questions so we did not have time to do that.
The second stage was that we got a chance to test parking assistance and talked to a BMW genius about BMW connected.
The third stage we got to drive 3 fast laps around the track in a 520d SE RWD, 520d M-sport X-drive and a 530d M-sport X-drive.
Lastly we were driven around by an instructor in a M2 and M4.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #17
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
When we got there we were split into 3 different groups of 4 each. In my group we started by driving RWD and X- Drive cars on the grass to see how traction control works. We then drove around the track to get a feel for semi autonomous driving and adaptive cruise control. We were supposed to test emergency braking but one guy in my group droned on and on asking pointless questions so we did not have time to do that.
The second stage was that we got a chance to test parking assistance and talked to a BMW genius about BMW connected.
The third stage we got to drive 3 fast laps around the track in a 520d SE RWD, 520d M-sport X-drive and a 530d M-sport X-drive.
Lastly we were driven around by an instructor in a M2 and M4.
Sounds like it was fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #18
Shakespere
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 530D xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Me View Post
Wrong MMY, just wrong...
Glad you love it. Can't wait to see.
And I was telling just today and showing off to my colleagues with all the fancy things in my g30 530d xdrive m sport is the HUD. Specially with map and lane changing display
Appreciate 0