E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Please help on choosing engine oil

02-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
uno
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Please help on choosing engine oil

I am about to do an oil change on my new bro.
Can anybody please help me pick the right oil?

User manual said 5w-30 or 5w-40.
People said Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40.

Were those 0Ws equivalent to 5Ws?
Which one should I pick?

I appreciate it.
      02-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

If the dealership in your area offers a good price use BMW branded oil. I would probably use Mobil 1 for no other reason than I've used it in the past.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
Mobil 1 if you can't get BMW oil. Also you hit 15k miles already??
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid4000
Mobil 1 if you can't get BMW oil. Also you hit 15k miles already??
He is probably changing his oil early as added insurance against trash floating around in the oil from the engine break-in period.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
uno
Private
Rep

I have not reached 15k yet. It just past break-in point.

By the way, Should I use mobil 1 0w-40 or 5w-30?

Appreciate it.
      02-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
I would use Mobil 1 5w-30
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
uno
Private
Rep

I appreciate your quick reply.

From what I checked from mobiloil.com, 5w-30 was not approved by BMW.
0w-40 was approved instead. This really has been confusing me.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...il_1_0W-40.asp
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...bil1_5W-30.asp

This was Castrol's reply regarding my on-line query.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of your manufacturer
regarding what oil to use in your vehicle.

BMW has not yet provided us with their recommendations for their 2006
models.

Please refer to your owner's manual for this data.

Thank you for contacting Castrol, The Technology Leader!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I again thank you for help.
      02-23-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Is BMW oil synthetic like Mobil 1 oil?
      02-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
uno
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Is BMW oil synthetic like Mobil 1 oil?
They used Castrol Synthetic oil.
      02-24-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
e90wraith
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Jet Blk

BMW uses a Castrol synthetic oil but the formulation is not available in the US but in Europe. Hence Castrol USA doesn't yet have an oil approved by BMW.

There is a raging debate as to whether Castrol USA branded synthetic oil is a "TRUE" synthetic oil. Castrol USA oil does not use man-made molecules but refined crude oil molecules (just like regular oils) as their base stock. Other companies such as Mobil, Texaco, Chevron, Amsoil, etc. all use man-made molecules as their base stock in their synthetic oil. Hence there is no dispute for these companies. However, Castrol in some sense is not a "synthetic" since the base stock is not man-made. Of course this is a matter of sematics, and Castrol USA claims their oil is "synthetic" since it's processed. You decide.

However, I have no idea if the European Castrol oil (the one BMW uses) is based on man-made base stock or not.

Here's a reprint of an old article in Car and Driver:

Quote:
Synthetic Motor Oil Gets All New Semantics

(published in Nov., 2000 issue of Car and Driver by Patrick Bedard)

Now that the meaning if "is" has gotten so slippery you need to grab it with both hands, we'd better keep an eye on longer words, too.

One's already got so squirmy on us- "synthetic," as in synthetic motor oil.

Most guys know two things about synthetic oils. First, the price is three to four times that of conventional oils. Second, they're not real oil, not made from crude.

News flash: Scratch that second part. Now motor oils derived from crude may be labeled "synthetic." But they still cost over four bucks a quart.

Bait and switch? That's the obvious conclusion. Except in this case the advertising ethics people have given their approval.

Here's what happened, according to a detailed account published in the trade magazine Lubricants World. Late in 1997, Castrol changed the formula of its Syntec "full synthetic motor oil", eliminating the polyalphaolefin (PAO) base stock (that's the "synthetic" part, which makes up about 70% by volume of what's in the bottle) and replacing it with a "hydroisomerized" petroleum base stock.

Mobil Oil Corporation, maker of Mobil 1, "Worlds Leading Synthetic Motor Oil," said no fair and took its complaint to the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. NAD often arbitrates between feuding advertisers on their conflicting claims.

The notion behind synthetic motor oils as we've known them is an elegant one. Instead of relying on the cocktail of hydrocarbons contained in crude oil, why not go into the laboratory and build the perfect base stock from scratch, molecule by molecule, and builds it till it gets 10-carbon molecules, then combines three of those to form PAO. The result is a fluid more stable than the usual base oils derived from crude. It keeps flowing at low temperatures. It's more resistant to boiling off, and more resistant to oxidation, which causes thickening with prolonged exposure to high temperatures.

Still, there's more than one road to the point B of improved stability. Petroleum refiners in recent years have learned how to break apart certain undesirable molecules - wax, for example, which causes thickening of oil at low temperatures- and transform them by chemical reaction into helpful molecules. These new hydroisomerized base oils, in the view of some industry participants provided properties similar to PAO's but only cost half as much," Lubricants World reported.

The argument before NAD tiptoed around the obvious- does the consumer get four bucks' worth of value from each quart of synthetic oil?- and plunged straight into deep semantics. Mobil's experts said "synthetic" traditionally meant big molecules built up from small ones. Castrol's side held out for a looser description, defining "synthetic" as "the product of an intended chemical reaction."

What do unbiased sources say? It turns out that the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Petroleum Institute (API) both have technical standards covering motor oils, and both of these organizations in the '90's backed away from their old definitions of "synthetic," leaving lots of room for new interpretations.

In the end, NAD decided that the evidence constitutes a reasonable basis for the claim that Castrol Syntec, as currently formulated, is a synthetic motor oil, said Lubricants World.

The obvious question now: Has the term "synthetic motor oil" been opened up to the point that it no longer means anything? Maybe. But here's a better question: Did synthetic ever mean what we thought it meant?

"Great oil" is what most guys think it means. "At that price, it's gotta be great stuff!"

Okay, but how great? Your cars manual tells what motor oil you should use, and with few exceptions, that description will consist of only two specifications. One is for viscosity, such as 10W-30; and the other is for the API service grade, SJ being the current one for gasoline passenger cars.

The buck-a-quart multi-grades meet these standards, as do the synthetics.

The synthetics, on the back label, claim compliance with more standards, but even if you know what they mean, they seem beside the point for U.S. passenger cars. For example, should you care about diesels if you drive a gasoline burner? API service CF is the oldest of the current specs for light-duty diesels; some synthetics list that one. Synthetics may also list ACEA A1 and B1, which are European specs roughly equivelant to API gasoline and diesel specs. The Europeans grad their oils by level of performance, so that A2 and A3 are tougher specs than A1. Same for diesels. Usually the date of the spec is omitted, but A1-98 is newer than A1-96.

Completely absent is the one performance claim that would have some real meaning for all of us- some indication of longer oil life. Automakers hold synthetics to the same oil change intervals as conventional oils. And the oil companies, promise even less. "To give added protection and life to your engine, change your oil every 3000 miles." This same language appears on the back of both Penzoil Synthetic and conventional oils. Valvoline synthetic makes a similar recommendation.

Synthetics do get one unambiguous endorsement: Corvettes, Porsches, Vipers, and all AMG models from Mercedes-Benz come with Mobil 1 as the factory fill.

Most synthetics mention GM 4718M in their list of claims; that's the unique spec created by General Motors for Corvette oil. It's a high-temperature requirement that tolerates less oxidation (thickening) and volatility (boil-off) on a standard engine test called Sequence 111E according to engineer Bob Olree of GM Powertrain.

But don't expect to learn such details on any label. Mobil 1 at least uses straight forward declarative sentences. Most of the others read as though they were written by a lawyer looking for an escape clause. Why else would the following claim be so rubbery? "Penzoil Synthetic motor oil is recommended for use in all engines requiring ILSACGF-1, GF-2, API SJ, SH, or SG, and in engines requiring oils meeting GM 4718M." Okay, but does it actually pass those standards?

"Yes" says James Newsom, Penzoil's motor-oil product manager.

Castrol Syntec, on its label, "exceeds" every standard it mentions. Hmm. Now that the meaning of "is" is in play, I have to wonder, does Syntec meet those standards as well?

"It does" says Castrol's Julie Ann Oberg. While I have her on the phone, I ask if there will be a Syntec price reduction now that the lower-cost base stock has been substituted for the old synthetic. She says no.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Either get the BMW 5W-30 from your dealer or use the 0W-40 Mobil 1

The 0W-40 Mobil 1 is also BMW LL01 approved, which is required for the E90
      03-10-2006, 05:25 AM   #12
faqulars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 / e60 530I / 135I

oil

Definately confusing trying to choose an oil for a BMW. Yes BMW oil is the European version of a 5w30. It is actually formulated to be a little bit heavier when your car is running warm. You can actually feel the difference if you get a quart of BMW oil and a quart of Mobil oil of the same wieght and you can "feel" that the BMW oil is a little thicker than Mobils. Unfortunatly BMW manual does say that Mobil 5w30 is approved, so I'm safe to assume that it really doesn't matter anymore. BTW I use Castrol 5W40 oil which does have the certs.

You can find more topics from www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #13
hades281
Rep
Drives:

Occasionally, Auto Zone carries a Castrol Syntec 0w-30 oil that IS LL01 approved. (In college I worked part time at an Autozone). When I was there last week, I saw it again on the shelves. It says something like "European Car Formula" and if you read the bottle it does say Made in Germany instead of Made in US.

Here's a link: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=6006933

I'm not sure why it's hit-and-miss but sometimes they do carry it.
Appreciate 0