E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Stuttering Idle on startup after JB4 install

03-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Stuttering Idle on startup after JB4 install

Hi all,

I installed a JB4 last night on my N55 335i E90. Seemed fine when I started it up but didn't get to go out and test it. Today I took it for a short spin at lunch, got it up to temperature and stepped on it a bit (was impressed by the torque).
Anyway, parked up and left it for the afternoon, and when I go to leave work a few hours later, I start it up and the idle stumbles so much it almost stalled. It then overcompensated and revved a couple of times. After that it was fine.

I didn't have this issue at all before installing the JB4... any ideas? Nobody else had this happen? Should I wait to see if it happens again? Try a firmware upgrade of the JB4? Anything else?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
aaron_
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 335i LCI

I had this. Removed jb4. Fixed.

Toss that piece of junk.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep

Noticed today that I also have a howling/whistling noise. From initial searches it seems it could be something to do with the PCV valve?
Starting to think this JB4 was a mistake. And I only got it to avoid check engine light when I install some downpipes
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

If it's a used system could always be a hardware problem with it, but if its new that is not likely, so probably just a setting or something simple. First step would be to post a JB4 log, mods, and details on BMS' support forum.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
If it's a used system could always be a hardware problem with it, but if its new that is not likely, so probably just a setting or something simple. First step would be to post a JB4 log, mods, and details on BMS' support forum.

Mike
Its a new unit from x-ph (I'm the same person that has just been in contact by mail, I think with yourself). I will have a look at how to do a log. Also going to see if the sound (which I believe is from the front main seal) goes away in map 0.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjones View Post
Hi all,

I installed a JB4 last night on my N55 335i E90. Seemed fine when I started it up but didn't get to go out and test it. Today I took it for a short spin at lunch, got it up to temperature and stepped on it a bit (was impressed by the torque).
Anyway, parked up and left it for the afternoon, and when I go to leave work a few hours later, I start it up and the idle stumbles so much it almost stalled. It then overcompensated and revved a couple of times. After that it was fine.

I didn't have this issue at all before installing the JB4... any ideas? Nobody else had this happen? Should I wait to see if it happens again? Try a firmware upgrade of the JB4? Anything else?

Thanks
I had to replace my valve cover after installing the JB4. I don't think the JB4 caused the problem, but just made it more noticable. Specifically it was my PCV valve that needed replacement, but you have to replace the whole valve cover to replace it. I also developed a slight, at first, but evetually a loud whistle noise.

I could place the JB4 on map 0 and it would go away. Then place it on map 2 and it would come back. I don't remember if i had the stalling issue with map 0, but it's worth a try.

Edit: I typed all this before reading any of the following posts, oops. I don't think the JB4 was the cause but I dont have any proof it wasn't. In the end you're gonna have to replace your VC like I did. It wasn't to terrible to replace, but it was time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
I had to replace my valve cover after installing the JB4. I don't think the JB4 caused the problem, but just made it more noticable. Specifically it was my PCV valve that needed replacement, but you have to replace the whole valve cover to replace it. I also developed a slight, at first, but evetually a loud whistle noise.

I could place the JB4 on map 0 and it would go away. Then place it on map 2 and it would come back. I don't remember if i had the stalling issue with map 0, but it's worth a try.

Edit: I typed all this before reading any of the following posts, oops. I don't think the JB4 was the cause but I dont have any proof it wasn't. In the end you're gonna have to replace your VC like I did. It wasn't to terrible to replace, but it was time consuming.
Thanks for the input. I've been doing plenty reading today and it seems like that's it. I get the noise under braking so its the front seal, but probably caused by the PCV valve. I hope I haven't caused damage to the seal.

Had a look at the DIY and it looks a bit beyond my ability. Most I managed was a OFHG and that was very difficult and time consuming for me, so I expect I won't be able to manage the valve cover. Anyone know rough labour costs for it from an indy? How many hours work do they charge for it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjones View Post
Thanks for the input. I've been doing plenty reading today and it seems like that's it. I get the noise under braking so its the front seal, but probably caused by the PCV valve. I hope I haven't caused damage to the seal.

Had a look at the DIY and it looks a bit beyond my ability. Most I managed was a OFHG and that was very difficult and time consuming for me, so I expect I won't be able to manage the valve cover. Anyone know rough labour costs for it from an indy? How many hours work do they charge for it?

Thanks
If I remember correctly I got quoted around $450 for the VC and about the same price in labor to get it installed. It would be a guess as to the amount of hours that was, but i's say 3-4?? again, it's just a guess. Good luck.
Appreciate 0