E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i to IS mufflers

03-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
335i to IS mufflers

Anyone doing a PE Performance Mod, 335is swap or PE swap on mufflers I would really and humbly suggest scoring the exhaust pipe with a exhaust pipe cutter and then using a sawzall with a diablo 18 tpi metal cutting blade. This is sooooo much easier than trying to cut through 1.5mm of stainless steel pipe. The sawzall blade curt through the SS pipe like a hot knife through butter (literally).

I speak from experience since I just swapped out my 335i mufflers for 335is mufflers. I am going to swap out the resonator for an x pipe soon. I have bought the red tail 2.5" x-pipe and 3 feet of stainless steel 2.5" 16 gage pipe, that is 304 grade SS. The red tail x pipe is also 304 SS too. Just gotta take both to an exhaust shop and have it installed.

I am thinking the result should be as close to getting the PE exhaust as possible just short of buying the PE exhaust itself.

I will have spent maybe $650.00 total vs $1,500.00...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Anyone doing a PE Performance Mod, 335is swap or PE swap on mufflers I would really and humbly suggest scoring the exhaust pipe with a exhaust pipe cutter and then using a sawzall with a diablo 18 tpi metal cutting blade. This is sooooo much easier than trying to cut through 1.5mm of stainless steel pipe. The sawzall blade curt through the SS pipe like a hot knife through butter (literally).

I speak from experience since I just swapped out my 335i mufflers for 335is mufflers. I am going to swap out the resonator for an x pipe soon. I have bought the red tail 2.5" x-pipe and 3 feet of stainless steel 2.5" 16 gage pipe, that is 304 grade SS. The red tail x pipe is also 304 SS too. Just gotta take both to an exhaust shop and have it installed.

I am thinking the result should be as close to getting the PE exhaust as possible just short of buying the PE exhaust itself.

$650 is not bad, but still.. do you really think its worth the performance? I guess its worth the sound, but the muffler really isnt all that different from your normal 335i one.

if you have secondary cats, you can delete those for literally $100 and get just as good of a sound, zero drone, and a simple 3HP gain which i imagine is more then a 335is muffler.

for $650 if you want real sound, you can the the PE mod to your stock muffler on top of the secondary delete and it will sound amazing.

if you are looking for actual performance, downpipe and stock muffler is another great option.

dont make it sound like your only choice is to spend $1500 replacing a catback that is already good out of the box, or spending $650 on an identical but slightly less restrictive muffler.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
Quote:

$650 is not bad, but still.. do you really think its worth the performance? I guess its worth the sound, but the muffler really isnt all that different from your normal 335i one.

if you have secondary cats, you can delete those for literally $100 and get just as good of a sound, zero drone, and a simple 3HP gain which i imagine is more then a 335is muffler.

for $650 if you want real sound, you can the the PE mod to your stock muffler on top of the secondary delete and it will sound amazing.

if you are looking for actual performance, downpipe and stock muffler is another great option.

dont make it sound like your only choice is to spend $1500 replacing a catback that is already good out of the box, or spending $650 on an identical but slightly less restrictive muffler.
Well, I did not intend to make it sound like my only option or someone else's only option.

I am not interested in playing with cats or down pipes. I do not want to have to get a tune in order to drive around without blowing codes.

The PE exhaust mufflers by themselves are about $750.00 used.

The 335is mufflers are basically the same exact mufflers less minus the valve flap in the driver side muffler.

I have never seen a 335is muffler cut open. I have seen a PE muffler and a 335i muffler open. There is absolutely a difference in the internals between both mufflers.

My best guess is that the 335is mufflers are the PE mufflers less minus the valve flap and perhaps a different type of packing. The internal parts are probably the exact same. From an accounting stand point it makes no sense to create a third muffler using different internal parts.

The manufacturer probably just takes a PE exhaust muffler and puts in different packing and slaps a different set of tail pipes on with the flap. That would be a lot more cost effective; it explains why both mufflers sound extremely similar. It also explains why the 335is mufflers are a tamer version because A they have a flap and B the packing is different.

You can do the golf tee mod on the 335is mufflers to keep the valve open, in order to get closer to the sound of the PE exhaust mufflers.

The x-pipe mod is the only other mod difference vs the coupe.

I have viewed several videos of the PE Mod, 335is & PE exhaust mufflers.

The 335is & PE exhaust mufflers sound the best; they are just more refined.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Well, I did not intend to make it sound like my only option or someone else's only option.

I am not interested in playing with cats or down pipes. I do not want to have to get a tune in order to drive around without blowing codes.

The PE exhaust mufflers by themselves are about $750.00 used.

The 335is mufflers are basically the same exact mufflers less minus the valve flap in the driver side muffler.

I have never seen a 335is muffler cut open. I have seen a PE muffler and a 335i muffler open. There is absolutely a difference in the internals between both mufflers.

My best guess is that the 335is mufflers are the PE mufflers less minus the valve flap and perhaps a different type of packing. The internal parts are probably the exact same. From an accounting stand point it makes no sense to create a third muffler using different internal parts.

The manufacturer probably just takes a PE exhaust muffler and puts in different packing and slaps a different set of tail pipes on with the flap. That would be a lot more cost effective; it explains why both mufflers sound extremely similar. It also explains why the 335is mufflers are a tamer version because A they have a flap and B the packing is different.

You can do the golf tee mod on the 335is mufflers to keep the valve open, in order to get closer to the sound of the PE exhaust mufflers.

The x-pipe mod is the only other mod difference vs the coupe.

I have viewed several videos of the PE Mod, 335is & PE exhaust mufflers.

The 335is & PE exhaust mufflers sound the best; they are just more refined.

I do like the sound of the 335is alot..

I was talking about secondary cats. they do not have any o2 sensors, they do not mess with emissions whatsoever as long as you retain your primary cats, and your ECU will adjust to the mod perfectly within 4-500KM. I've done it myself so I can vouch for the sound and performance. I did it on my naturally aspirated 528i so I can only imagine how good it would sound if you already have a 335is muffler. there will be some crackles and burbling when you let off the throttle or downshift and the performance gains are great.

honestly, for $100 I highly recommend you try it. you really got nothing to lose..
Appreciate 0