Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-22-2017, 03:45 AM   #1
B19lyb
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thinking about an M5

Hi All

Been lurking for a while and reading up on the M5 LCI, some great info here.

I am looking for an M5 LCI but wanted to get an idea on what sort of mileage people are doing in theirs and an average running cost per year.

I will be doing 20000 mile a year with a mix of motorway and local driving, ive read loads of posts and seen some different opinions so just wanted to get an idea for the type of driving i would be doing.

Went to the local dealer and told him the above and he made a weird face and said its going to cost you a lot to run that for a year.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

welcome....Just for info, I have a fully loaded m5 coming up for sale in the next couple of months or so however it is not the LCI version. I would rather sell it to someone on a forum such as this rather than go through the usual pistonheads/autotrader hassle

Anyways as far as running costs go...Extended warranty is a must with these types of cars..As far as general running costs go it wont be cheap but then again you dont buy these types of cars to have cheap running costs. Saying that though, my existing m5 has cost me far less to run compared to my old Rs4 and if you drive sensibly on the motorway you can easily hit 30 mpg.. I go through my tyres though approx every 15,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:06 AM   #3
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

As a rough estimate......here is some data ....you'll need to fill in the blanks

Road Tax £500 p.a
Insurance....depends on your situation, say £1000 p.a
1.5 sets of tyres p.a at ca £1100 per set
Service at avg. £600 per service (major more, minor less, 1 per year)
Warranty extension £???
Avg. 23 mpg so ca. £4,900 fuel
Winter tyre change/storage £200 pa.

So in total £8850 or ca. £750 per month plus warranty

If the mileage is company business and you are in the UK, you can write off £7000 taxable income for a saving of £2800 p.a
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
B19lyb
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Awesome thanks guys that's some great info to work with.

I am looking at buying from a dealer so will get 1 year with the car, does anyone know what the extended ones usually cost?

Also i can see other dealers and private owners selling theirs is there anything to look for when not buying from a dealer and can i still get a bmw warranty added?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
KFERI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

I would buy it as an approved used car from BMW, just because if anything goes wrong with the car in the 1st year they are obligated to fix it and you don't have to worry about the cost..

if you purchase from an individual you cannot get the BMW warranty but will have to source a 3rd party warranty

Oh and try getting the car with the 360 view option, mine only has a rear view camera and in tight car parks I always think the 360 option would make my life so much easier
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFERI View Post
I would buy it as an approved used car from BMW, just because if anything goes wrong with the car in the 1st year they are obligated to fix it and you don't have to worry about the cost..

if you purchase from an individual you cannot get the BMW warranty but will have to source a 3rd party warranty

Oh and try getting the car with the 360 view option, mine only has a rear view camera and in tight car parks I always think the 360 option would make my life so much easier
You can still get BMW warranty even if you buy privately. As long as the car has Full BMW Service history and below 60k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B19lyb View Post

I am looking at buying from a dealer so will get 1 year with the car, does anyone know what the extended ones usually cost?

Also i can see other dealers and private owners selling theirs is there anything to look for when not buying from a dealer and can i still get a bmw warranty added?

Thanks
Most important is that the Running in Service was performed at around the mandated 1200 miles. FBMWSH is a must

If buying from a dealer, ask for all the details of warranty claims (you don't want a car that has required multiple repairs.)

Favour low mileage over age. Cars typically don't wear out when not being driven.

M5s have a lot of nice-to-have options that aren't really necessities, so know what you really want from the options list.

Adaptive lights (Xenon or LED, both fine) with high beam assist is a must for winter driving and the rear view camera is most helpful

If possible, put the car on a ramp and check the underside. Look for any visible damage to the oil coolers, engine, gearbox, suspension, exhaust and diff housing (There's a lot of expensive stuff exposed under an M5)

While you're under the car check tyre wear with a gauge (Outside, middle, inside) to make sure wheel alignment is OK.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 04:04 AM   #8
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFERI View Post

I need to stress im not just saying this because I happen to be selling my car shortly but if buying privately I would try to source a car from a forum such as this...Generally speaking the people that use these types of forums are car enthusiasts and as such, look after their cars more than others....If I couldnt source one from a forum then I would definately stick with the dealer option or only buy privately if there is the original BMW warranty in place or the extended BMW warranty because if something goes wrong its expensive...In my experiences, the third party extended warranties that are out there aernt really worth the paper they are written on.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #9
zainster
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 CP + MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarman View Post
You can still get BMW warranty even if you buy privately. As long as the car has Full BMW Service history and below 60k miles.
You don't need full BMW service history - full service history by a VAT registered garage is sufficient.

I had an E60 M5 with half of the service history having been carried out by independent garages. I was able to get the warranty from Mondial without issue.

4 months later I had the EDC and steering column replaced under warranty by my local BMW dealer and a month after that the clutch and flywheel also replaced under warranty!

£6k in warranty work within the first 6 months of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
Maximo1970
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B19lyb View Post

Thanks
Last time I check it was around £1500 from BMW for 12 months, that was for a car with just over 50k miles on it. The cost goes up further beyond the 60k miles.

As has already been said, you need to know what spec your looking for. You'll be surprised by what is an option and what isn't. Don't assume these cars were fully specced out from the factory, when I was looking for mine I was surprised to find a few that were totally standard with no options at all.

I would advise you make a list of things you'd like to have and those you feel are must haves. One example, powered boot is an option which should be standard on a car like the M5. Most you'll find don't have this option.

When I was searching the must haves for me were;

20" wheel
Surround Cameras
Reverse Camera (The wife had this on her car, so couldn't be out done)
Monte Carlo Blue

I managed to find all that an more, so was very happy. Good luck in your search. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #11
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI M5 & Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo1970 View Post
I was surprised to find a few that were totally standard with no options at all.
In 2013/2014 there were some cheap lease deals on the M5 in the UK, which I'm fairly sure is the reason for all the sparsely optioned cars around. You normally pay off the whole cost of options over the term of a lease, so spending £5-6k to get a reasonable spec could have put the price up by around 50% over a 2 year lease. I found it quite frustrating when I was looking for mine, so many cars with either no options at all, or just the HK stereo and nothing else
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #12
RXP.
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAdams View Post
In 2013/2014 there were some cheap lease deals on the M5 in the UK, which I'm fairly sure is the reason for all the sparsely optioned cars around. You normally pay off the whole cost of options over the term of a lease, so spending £5-6k to get a reasonable spec could have put the price up by around 50% over a 2 year lease. I found it quite frustrating when I was looking for mine, so many cars with either no options at all, or just the HK stereo and nothing else
This is exactly what I am experiencing now with my search.

How long did you wait before a spec you were happy with popped up?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP. View Post
This is exactly what I am experiencing now with my search.

How long did you wait before a spec you were happy with popped up?
It took a few months of looking before I found a car I was happy with, by luck it was only 10 miles away too It actually worked out well, as the rejection on my last car had only gone through a couple of weeks earlier, so I was in a position to go ahead the same day.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 02:00 AM   #14
RXP.
Rep

Quote:
It took a few months of looking before I found a car I was happy with, by luck it was only 10 miles away too It actually worked out well, as the rejection on my last car had only gone through a couple of weeks earlier, so I was in a position to go ahead the same day.
Congrats, that worked out nicely for you.

I am having some difficulty finding the right one. I thought I had made a great deal but BMW found some issues during Pre sale inspection which made the car not cost viable and so put it through auction instead.

Currently the market appears to have some fairly high spec pre LCI cars, and fairly low spec facelift cars.

My heart tells me to up my budget but my heads tells me the higher spec lci cars will continue dropping into my range, given the launch of the new M5 in a few weeks time.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 07:04 AM   #15
MickAdams
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Currently the market appears to have some fairly high spec pre LCI cars, and fairly low spec facelift cars.

My heart tells me to up my budget but my heads tells me the higher spec lci cars will continue dropping into my range, given the launch of the new M5 in a few weeks time.
That does seem to be how the market is, plenty of high spec pre-LCI cars but finding a nice spec later car is hard. I considered spending less and getting a good pre-LCI car, but I decided that the LCI upgrades were worth waiting for and kept looking. If you're wanting it fairly soon, then I'd probably look to push your budget to find nice LCI, I think it'll take a while for prices to drop significantly as a result of the new model.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #16
Japseroony
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 60i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW X7 60i  [0.00]
Hi Guys

I am tempted to sell mine - a 31st Oct 2016 so 66 reg with 3k on the clock. Black with Silverstone leather and lots and I mean lots of extras.

Comp Pack
B&O Sound
Driving assist
Comfort access
Extended leather
M Multi Seats
Adaptive LED lights
Lane Change assist
Surround View
Auto Boot Lid
Reversing Camera

Other extras also included but the above gives you a flavour - if anyone is interested please PM me
"TORQUE" ---------is how far you take the fence with you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:28 AM   #17
RXP.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japseroony View Post
Hi Guys

I am tempted to sell mine - a 31st Oct 2016 so 66 reg with 3k on the clock. Black with Silverstone leather and lots and I mean lots of extras.

Comp Pack
B&O Sound
Driving assist
Comfort access
Extended leather
M Multi Seats
Adaptive LED lights
Lane Change assist
Surround View
Auto Boot Lid
Reversing Camera

Other extras also included but the above gives you a flavour - if anyone is interested please PM me
Lovely spec but way out of my price range buddy. GLWS
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:37 AM   #18
RXP.
Rep

Quote:
That does seem to be how the market is, plenty of high spec pre-LCI cars but finding a nice spec later car is hard. I considered spending less and getting a good pre-LCI car, but I decided that the LCI upgrades were worth waiting for and kept looking. If you're wanting it fairly soon, then I'd probably look to push your budget to find nice LCI, I think it'll take a while for prices to drop significantly as a result of the new model.
I suspect you are right. Realistically the price of the F10 will start dropping when BMW begin heavily discounting the new M5. Then it starts to become more viable to buy new than used, or at least the gap is minimised.

This could be some time away yet. However i suspect no one ever paid list on the F10. 10k was fairly easy to get off?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #19
Kungpo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I suspect you are right. Realistically the price of the F10 will start dropping when BMW begin heavily discounting the new M5. Then it starts to become more viable to buy new than used, or at least the gap is minimised.

This could be some time away yet. However i suspect no one ever paid list on the F10. 10k was fairly easy to get off?
Mine was one of the last cars - built sometime mid 2016, registered towards the end of Dec. Sticker price was £81K with options, sold to me for £61K.
Appreciate 0