E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Catless DP, exhaust options for aggressive sound

03-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp xDrive

Catless DP, exhaust options for aggressive sound

i have the PE mod done but it's a little too tame for my taste. I was thinking of getting the VRSF cat back but that seems pretty quiet as well. Does anyone have experience with muffler delete with catless DPs? The eisenmann sounds great but the price is pretty high
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

I originally did VRSF catless DP and straight pipes with small mufflers (vibrant) and it was loud. Droned sucked so I change it up to the catted DP they offer and Corsa. Still loud and zero drone. Muffler delete would do the trick though...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
I originally did VRSF catless DP and straight pipes with small mufflers (vibrant) and it was loud. Droned sucked so I change it up to the catted DP they offer and Corsa. Still loud and zero drone. Muffler delete would do the trick though...
Did it drone at every RPM? and are you talking about corsa resonators being added to the midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexbrah View Post
Did it drone at every RPM? and are you talking about corsa resonators being added to the midpipe?
My previous custom exhaust droned like hell. He tried to weld on 2 resonators (vibrant) right before the mufflers to reduce drone but it only helped a little. I ended up selling the entire system and starting over. Now I have zero drone thanks to Corsa and the catted DP is still loud but no smell or any other issues. My tune is still "money" so it pulls hard as hell...370HP and 511 torque all to the wheels which is nice. Just changed the Transmission and Transfer case fluids yesterday and my tech did some sort of mechatronic calibration/adaptation to smooth things out. 3rd gear was out of wack a little.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
Jimmy Splash
Boost Marauder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xdrive

Quote:
i have the PE mod done but it's a little too tame for my taste. I was thinking of getting the VRSF cat back but that seems pretty quiet as well. Does anyone have experience with muffler delete with catless DPs? The eisenmann sounds great but the price is pretty high
Honestly, the VRSF catback & catless DPs screams if your exhaust is broke in at least with my personal experience with the N55. All the videos on youtube are exhaust clips of just recently installed and not broken in. "True" straight pipes (no resonators or mufflers) and catless downpipes would be the loudest exhaust possible, but drone would be pretty gross i bet. I'd imagine Corsa, Eisenmann, and Vanguard would sound damn good with catless DPs, only reason I didn't get one of those cat backs on my car is because of Xdrive complications.
      03-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Splash View Post
Honestly, the VRSF catback & catless DPs screams if your exhaust is broke in at least with my personal experience with the N55. All the videos on youtube are exhaust clips of just recently installed and not broken in. "True" straight pipes (no resonators or mufflers) and catless downpipes would be the loudest exhaust possible, but drone would be pretty gross i bet. I'd imagine Corsa, Eisenmann, and Vanguard would sound damn good with catless DPs, only reason I didn't get one of those cat backs on my car is because of Xdrive complications.
I have an xDrive as well! how do you like your VRSF catback?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #7
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Currently have catless downpipe, muffler delete and two resenators in the mid pipes.

Some drone around 2k rpm at low speed with your foot giving small acceleration.

I think the ideal would be catless DP
And a good catback.

I had catless DP and the Actual Performance Exhaust and it was too loud.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, IMHO this Remus US Race Exhaust sounds the best for our cars by comparison to all the others.

Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
z3Ro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335XI M-Sport

I just put in a custom 3" exhaust from the DP back. No secondary cats, No muffler. Sounds beastly with the PPK. Drones at around a 1/4 throttle and around 2-3000rpms in 3rd. I plan on getting a catless DP once I get my JB4. I started out as loud as you can go and make it quiet from there. Going the other route seems more work to experiment around hence more money wasted.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
Jimmy Splash
Boost Marauder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xdrive

Quote:
I have an xDrive as well! how do you like your VRSF catback?
It was ok with just stock cats, I had some complications installing it due to modifications to the pipe that meets the cats due to Xdrive, but other than that it was good. The VRSF catback plus the VRSF catless DPs is when you really get the full experience of the setup. If you want a deeper cruising tone and still the clean loud roar at WOT I suggest it. Best bang for your buck for a catback too
      03-21-2017, 12:46 AM   #11
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3Ro View Post
I just put in a custom 3" exhaust from the DP back. No secondary cats, No muffler. Sounds beastly with the PPK. Drones at around a 1/4 throttle and around 2-3000rpms in 3rd. I plan on getting a catless DP once I get my JB4. I started out as loud as you can go and make it quiet from there. Going the other route seems more work to experiment around hence more money wasted.
With a catless DP that will be loud as hell. Have any pics of your system?
      03-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
z3Ro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
With a catless DP that will be loud as hell. Have any pics of your system?

Stock DP -> 3" piping -> 4" tips

the secondary cat deletes are held in by v-bands so i can swap the cats back in to smog
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Stock DP -> 3" piping -> 4" tips

the secondary cat deletes are held in by v-bands so i can swap the cats back in to smog
Thats a good setup

What you should consider is to get catless downpipes, this will give a decent performance increase but also make it very loud.

Then get your shop to build you some resonators that can slide in where the secondary cats go.

The resonators will quiet it back down to a good level.

So you get more performance, similar sound (a tad louder), and a plug and play solution where you can swap cats and resonators in and out.
      03-22-2017, 01:47 AM   #14
z3Ro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thats a good setup

What you should consider is to get catless downpipes, this will give a decent performance increase but also make it very loud.

Then get your shop to build you some resonators that can slide in where the secondary cats go.

The resonators will quiet it back down to a good level.

So you get more performance, similar sound (a tad louder), and a plug and play solution where you can swap cats and resonators in and out.
thx man. i plan on going catless DPs once i get the jb4, which is sometime next year around this time. just paid registration and im sure next year is the year ill have to smog. once thats done and over with ill be getting the jb4 and going catless. ill probably leave the resonators out from the get go. if it is too loud then thats the route i plan on taking.

gona correct myself on my previous post. the drone on my exhaust only happens a little over 1 - 2500rpms, after that its just a slight rumble. once i hit 60ish with consistent throttle, theres pretty much no drone
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 02:37 AM   #15
Stage5Lurker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: White Buffalo

Garage List
I have the PE mod as well as catless DP. The 4" DP i previously had sounded great but had bad welds.
Well....I began research on a few quality manufacturers I read about one being Wagner. Wagner DPs look a lot like the oem. Then I heard a voice..."hollow the oem dp and they will come..."
Once I fired up the n55, immediatly was pleased with the sound. Throttle response much better and I can hear the spool as if I were in the turbo itself.
Been rolling with that for the past week or so. I have noticed that Throttle may have a little more lag, as if the engine was heatsoaked. Oil temps definatly lower. I unplugged the exhaust flap this evening and was surprised once again. With the 5 or so inch dp and the flap open the response seems to be quicker and the vehicle now sounds like an angry, snarling,
snorting, whistling and popping angry dragon.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #16
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thx man. i plan on going catless DPs once i get the jb4, which is sometime next year around this time. just paid registration and im sure next year is the year ill have to smog. once thats done and over with ill be getting the jb4 and going catless. ill probably leave the resonators out from the get go. if it is too loud then thats the route i plan on taking.

gona correct myself on my previous post. the drone on my exhaust only happens a little over 1 - 2500rpms, after that its just a slight rumble. once i hit 60ish with consistent throttle, theres pretty much no drone
Why JB4 and not MHD.

I'll tell you how I go tomorrow, I'm having J pipes added, hopefully to eliminate the drone.

I get the same drone around that RPM too
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #17
z3Ro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Why JB4 and not MHD.

I'll tell you how I go tomorrow, I'm having J pipes added, hopefully to eliminate the drone.

I get the same drone around that RPM too
ive done a few BMS installs for my friends cars and had the intention of getting BMS from the get go. tho i have been reading up on MHD in the general disscussion thread.

are you having the j-pipes where the stock mufflers use to be since thats the only open space the car seems to have lol. im assuming its going to look like a loop de loop right? back ->forward ->back
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ive done a few BMS installs for my friends cars and had the intention of getting BMS from the get go. tho i have been reading up on MHD in the general disscussion thread.

are you having the j-pipes where the stock mufflers use to be since thats the only open space the car seems to have lol. im assuming its going to look like a loop de loop right? back ->forward ->back
You should,look more into MHD, esspecially for N55 where the JB4 doesnt do nearly as much as it does for N54.

It will look something like the below, and yes, in the space the stock mufflers sit, right at the end just before the tips.

03-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

muffler delete with DP's is going to sound like shit.

your current PE mod with DP will be exactly what you are looking for.

Im confused as to which e9x models have secondary cats and which dont, but if you have those you might want to delete them as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #20
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Ok J pipes are on and it has fix around 75% of the drone, its at the point where its not disturbing anymore which is great, and sounds less like a 4 cylinder ricer with a canon and more like a nice inline 6 grumble.
      03-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #21
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
muffler delete with DP's is going to sound like shit.

your current PE mod with DP will be exactly what you are looking for.

Im confused as to which e9x models have secondary cats and which dont, but if you have those you might want to delete them as well.
N54 = Cats in downpipes and cats in midpipes
N55 = RWD Cat in diwnpipe and nothing in mid pipes
N55 = AWD Cat in downpipe and cats in midpipes
      03-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #22
z3Ro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok J pipes are on and it has fix around 75% of the drone, its at the point where its not disturbing anymore which is great, and sounds less like a 4 cylinder ricer with a canon and more like a nice inline 6 grumble.
nice. my current setup has a pretty deeper tone. im assuming once i go catless they tone will refine to a more crisper sound like less bass more treble. and the ppk burple will sound like AKs which might be a tad too loud at that point lol. maybe if youve got time, up a vid with your new setup. curious what it sounds like with the jpipes.
Appreciate 0