THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB BMW Scheduled Brake Fluid change deferred because I paid for change at 1 year

03-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

BMW Scheduled Brake Fluid change deferred because I paid for change at 1 year

My 2015 228i Service computer is now indicating my brake fluid doesn't need to be replaced for 3 years versus the normal 2. My SA thinks it is because I had an independent shop replace the brake fluid at 1 year. ( need fresh brake fluid for HPDE and AutoX). The tech either reset the maintenance computer or the brake fluid monitor knows it was emptied and replaced. Regardless the SA now states BMW will not pay for a brake fluid change at the normal 2 year mark.

This doesn't make sense to me. If I want to have the fluid changed every year versus the factory recommended every other year then BMW will never pay for a brake fluid change.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? I understand I am responsible for non-standard maintenance but this should not reduce BMW's responsibility. The included maintenance covers brake fluid changes every two years. Why would my paying to have it done annually make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralawren View Post
My 2015 228i Service computer is now indicating my brake fluid doesn't need to be replaced for 3 years versus the normal 2. My SA thinks it is because I had an independent shop replace the brake fluid at 1 year. ( need fresh brake fluid for HPDE and AutoX). The tech either reset the maintenance computer or the brake fluid monitor knows it was emptied and replaced. Regardless the SA now states BMW will not pay for a brake fluid change at the normal 2 year mark.

This doesn't make sense to me. If I want to have the fluid changed every year versus the factory recommended every other year then BMW will never pay for a brake fluid change.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? I understand I am responsible for non-standard maintenance but this should not reduce BMW's responsibility. The included maintenance covers brake fluid changes every two years. Why would my paying to have it done annually make a difference?
It's 3 years since production date.

Where did you get 2 years?

Also if you have the service done somewhere else they should not reset the computer as bmw will go with what the computer says
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:

It's 3 years since production date.

Where did you get 2 years?

Also if you have the service done somewhere else they should not reset the computer as bmw will go with what the computer says
Nothing in writing about the intervals. I just assumed it was 2 years since my 2010 BMW and all the MBs and Porsches I have had in the last 8 years are 2 year intervals.

Where did you find the actual intervals? There is nothing in the Service and Warranty pamphlet or Owners Manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nothing in writing about the intervals. I just assumed it was 2 years since my 2010 BMW and all the MBs and Porsches I have had in the last 8 years are 2 year intervals.

Where did you find the actual intervals? There is nothing in the Service and Warranty pamphlet or Owners Manual.
My car was manufactured 3/2014 and it shows 3/2017 for brake fluid
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:

My car was manufactured 3/2014 and it shows 3/2017 for brake fluid
Thanks, that is consistent with mine. 3/15 build, 3/18 change.

My SA told me to complain about a squishy pedal and they may replace it. Interesting thing is the Porsche dealer that worked on my Boxster tested the brake fluid and provided an estimate if moisture in the fluid. My fluid was supposed to be 10 months old but did not pass the moisture test. I am trying to get the BMW dealer to do the same thing. They share a parking lot and both are Hendrick Dealers!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that is consistent with mine. 3/15 build, 3/18 change.

My SA told me to complain about a squishy pedal and they may replace it. Interesting thing is the Porsche dealer that worked on my Boxster tested the brake fluid and provided an estimate if moisture in the fluid. My fluid was supposed to be 10 months old but did not pass the moisture test. I am trying to get the BMW dealer to do the same thing. They share a parking lot and both are Hendrick Dealers!
You can try.... but doubt they will do it unless the computer says so....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Just replaced my Fluid on a 2015

Build date was 10/2014 and I bled the brake fluid and replace with Ate Typ 200.

LV is required and per the Bavauto.com website the viscosity of the Ate Type 200 is acceptable so I used my power bleeder and replaced the fluid and the brake lines to Stainless Steel braided hoses.
Lines cost 108.00 and fluid is so cheap I don't remember the price.
SO - I favor the 2yr replacement even though I don't have free maint plan due to 2nd owner.
Brakes are important so why lessen their performance by absorbing moisture?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Build date was 10/2014 and I bled the brake fluid and replace with Ate Typ 200.

LV is required and per the Bavauto.com website the viscosity of the Ate Type 200 is acceptable so I used my power bleeder and replaced the fluid and the brake lines to Stainless Steel braided hoses.
Lines cost 108.00 and fluid is so cheap I don't remember the price.
SO - I favor the 2yr replacement even though I don't have free maint plan due to 2nd owner.
Brakes are important so why lessen their performance by absorbing moisture?
I plan on doing what you just did when Spring arrives (it's snowing out right now). How much brake fluid did you use when also doing the stainless hoses?One liter seems like enough when just flushing. Any extra needed when installing hoses?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

SS HOSES & Fluid

Interesting you ask -- I purchased (2) 1 liter cans of fluid .

I first replaced the hoses at each corner then started the bleeding at the passenger rear per normal procedure. I had so much air in the lines that I thought for sure I would run more than (1) liter.
I did have to open the 2nd liter and poured the entire liter in the Motive power bleeder. I only ended up using just a little more than a liter.
With all the air in the line I had to fill the bleeder can instead of just using it for air pressure as I done in the past for simple bleeding.
So if you are just bleeding (1) liter is more than enough but, for hose replacement I would recommend (2) Liters unless you are a pro and not a DIY hack like me.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      03-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Interesting you ask -- I purchased (2) 1 liter cans of fluid .

I first replaced the hoses at each corner then started the bleeding at the passenger rear per normal procedure. I had so much air in the lines that I thought for sure I would run more than (1) liter.
I did have to open the 2nd liter and poured the entire liter in the Motive power bleeder. I only ended up using just a little more than a liter.
With all the air in the line I had to fill the bleeder can instead of just using it for air pressure as I done in the past for simple bleeding.
So if you are just bleeding (1) liter is more than enough but, for hose replacement I would recommend (2) Liters unless you are a pro and not a DIY hack like me.
Thank you for the info.It just seemed to me that more fluid would be needed when replacing the hoses because of the four empty new ones.
I planned on filling the bleeder also because denatured alcohol is supposed to do a good on the clean up which is otherwise difficult.
I was going to bleed each corner after I replaced each hose,but I like your method better.
I'm definitely a DIY hack, also.
Appreciate 0