E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Looking for someone knowledgeable about 335d's in the St. Louis, MO area

03-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Looking for someone knowledgeable about 335d's in the St. Louis, MO area

Looking for help in the 63109 area; I have a favor to ask. There will be compensation for your time and effort!

Please pm me. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Either your location hasn't been updated or you're looking to buy a car. Specifically, this car: https://goo.gl/x3WTMN The car fax shows it was maintained rather well. The intake manifold gaskets were replaced, meaning it was likely scoped for CBU and didn't need it, or did and they just didn't do it, or didn't note it. MAF was also replaced which is somewhat common, so that's good.

The main issue I'm seeing is it would be about due for a walnut blasting, and none of the common emissions parts were replaced, so you have a chance of running into some significant(expensive) issues quickly.

If you plan on tuning, this is a good deal if it looks as good in person as it does on paper.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
Either your location hasn't been updated or you're looking to buy a car. Specifically, this car: https://goo.gl/x3WTMN The car fax shows it was maintained rather well. The intake manifold gaskets were replaced, meaning it was likely scoped for CBU and didn't need it, or did and they just didn't do it, or didn't note it. MAF was also replaced which is somewhat common, so that's good.

The main issue I'm seeing is it would be about due for a walnut blasting, and none of the common emissions parts were replaced, so you have a chance of running into some significant(expensive) issues quickly.

If you plan on tuning, this is a good deal if it looks as good in person as it does on paper.
You are correct about the latter. I've done a lot of research and know what to look for (CBU, emissions equipment, harmonic balancer, trans service, etc). I'm confident in knowing what car I should buy, its just a matter of finding one with the options I want at a fair price.

It's actually this car: https://cargur.us/fPFhB. I talked to the dealer, they show a clean carfax and a decent service history, but nothing about any of the "problem areas" I listed.

I'm also a little wary of it having only 3k miles on it since 10/2015 and the rep wheels.

The best bet is obviously to look at it and take it for a test drive, but since I'm so far away I'd appreciate if someone local could help out.

This car is optioned pretty much ideally for me, so I was hoping to get some help to determine if its worth my time, money, and effort to buy far away instead of locally.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Got it. Just for referenced I paid $17k out the door on a 2010 with 71k miles and immaculate service history. Comfort Access, Base stereo, non-folding rear seats with no pass through. It has iDrive. I feel like the one you're looking at is over-priced, especially if the service history is missing those items at that high of mileage. I hope you find someone! Try posting in the regional thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #5
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Just for referenced I paid $17k out the door on a 2010 with 71k miles and immaculate service history. Comfort Access, Base stereo, non-folding rear seats with no pass through. It has iDrive. I feel like the one you're looking at is over-priced, especially if the service history is missing those items at that high of mileage. I hope you find someone! Try posting in the regional thread.
Thanks! I agree its overpriced; it looks nice and has good options, but if I had to guess, I'd say the last owner had an accident and let it sit. Carfax is clean, but cargurus' autocheck shows an accident. I'll have to do some digging and see what the story is.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably have better luck, hopefully I can find someone local who has knowledge about the M57 and what to look for! I've driven a lot of these cars, can't wait to find the right one and bring it home.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

I often fly to St Louis, but unfortunately I do not have a trip scheduled in the next few weeks. If that changes, I would certainly consider helping out. IIRC, you were looking for a light interior and while the below car is black on black, seems like a pretty good deal and I probably live about 45 mins away from OP if you need me to check it out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347067
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomiri View Post
Thanks! I agree its overpriced; it looks nice and has good options, but if I had to guess, I'd say the last owner had an accident and let it sit. Carfax is clean, but cargurus' autocheck shows an accident. I'll have to do some digging and see what the story is.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably have better luck, hopefully I can find someone local who has knowledge about the M57 and what to look for! I've driven a lot of these cars, can't wait to find the right one and bring it home.
On the carfax it does show that a new piece was painted. So it could have been in a minor collision. Or it backed into a pole. Something like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
I often fly to St Louis, but unfortunately I do not have a trip scheduled in the next few weeks. If that changes, I would certainly consider helping out. IIRC, you were looking for a light interior and while the below car is black on black, seems like a pretty good deal and I probably live about 45 mins away from OP if you need me to check it out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347067
Thanks! I'll definitely keep in contact if you go.

Also, I actually checked that car out a couple weeks ago. It looks like it could be good with work, but its not the right car for me right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On the carfax it does show that a new piece was painted. So it could have been in a minor collision. Or it backed into a pole. Something like that.
Strange, the CarFax I got doesn't mention paint or any body work. I did get it from the dealer, not sure if that makes a difference. It was current when they sent it to me.

I thought I noticed in the front, where the hood and kidney grills meet, there was an abnormal looking gap. If I had to guess, light front collision, new bumper, paint, and grills. The dealer did send me additional pictures which is what I'm going off of.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomiri View Post
Strange, the CarFax I got doesn't mention paint or any body work. I did get it from the dealer, not sure if that makes a difference. It was current when they sent it to me.

I thought I noticed in the front, where the hood and kidney grills meet, there was an abnormal looking gap. If I had to guess, light front collision, new bumper, paint, and grills. The dealer did send me additional pictures which is what I'm going off of.
I may be thinking of a different carfax I saw. There is a strange gap between the hood and kidneys on my car too. Nothing too large, just larger than I would have expected.
Appreciate 0