E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need Help - Can't get front dome off

02-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
mykcheng
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 6MT

Need Help - Can't get front dome off

I looked at a couple of DIYs on removing the front dome light panel. But, mine's not budging. I know in some DIYs, it states that there are two clips in front of the round reading lights, but I can't seem to get to it and the rearview mirror gets in the way. Did anyone else have a tough time removing this? Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
FastAttackNick
My other ride gets 2000 nm to the neutron...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport

Don't know if you ever got an answer for this - but I gave up on mine. I found no clips either.

330i / Premium, Sport, and Cold Weather Packages

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
robdsl17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 350z, 06 330xi, 09 335xi

I thought the same as you. I couldnt find any clips. But I didnt give up. I took me about an hour to get it off. I had to use about 3 small screwdrivers to take it off.

1. twist the mirror out of the way so you can get a screwdriver on the pasenger side of the dome (for some reason i think its easier to take it off when you start with the passenger side).
2. its hard to see, but if you look about 3/4" in from the edge of the chrome trim, you will see a shallow slot. Jam a screwdriver in there carefully.
3. Take another screwdriver and jam it next to the one you just stuck in there. stick it in as far as you can get in and carefully pry it apart (just a little)
4. Take another screwdriver, (or the first one from the passenger side) and jam it in the shallow slot on the drivers side (while the other screwdriver is still stuck in the passenger side). This will be hard since the mirror will be in the way of the first screwdriver.
5. wiggle them around and push the screwdrivers in farther if it doesnt pop.

This took me an hour to do and figure out. Once i figured it out, it takes 2 minutes to pop it off. You just need the right size screwdrivers.

There are 2 clips, but they are really far up in the dome module. they are not near the chrome trim where you stick the screwdrivers. this is why you must push the screwdrivers pretty far in at a 45 or so degree angle.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
lenvage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

"Stay the course!!!"
I bought my 330i on 11/05. Ever since I have been trying to get the front dome light panel open so that I could change the bulbs to xenon. I finally succeeded after almost a year. It was an incredible feeling. I did it using a flathead screwdriver not a spatula. Good luck to anyone attempting this task.
Appreciate 0