E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > VRSF Catless downpipe w/o a Tune

03-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
Richards335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive e92

VRSF Catless downpipe w/o a Tune

So I recently purchased the Remus Sport exhaust and the sound difference between that and the stock is apparently really little. I'm trying to go a little louder, so I'm thinking maybe a catless downpipe.

I have read online and the shop has also told me that its bad to install a downpipe without a tune. Apparently the car would "run rich." So I'm wondering if theres anyone out there who has been running the catless DP on their cars without a tune and have had any problems thus far?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
GripAndRip
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335xi Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards335 View Post

I have read online and the shop has also told me that its bad to install a downpipe without a tune.
You are going to also have a CEL the entire time. That alone bothers me enough to get a tune lmao
      03-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp xDrive

When I flash back to stock map, I get a CEL within a few minutes of driving. Maybe just get a JB+ for the tiny power boost but gets rid of the CEL (I think)
Appreciate 1
BKBMW335I156.50
      03-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
GripAndRip
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexbrah View Post
When I flash back to stock map, I get a CEL within a few minutes of driving. Maybe just get a JB+ for the tiny power boost but gets rid of the CEL (I think)
I don't think Jb+ gets rid of CEL. It only adjusts the boost up by tricking the ecu into seeing lower boost. I don't think it clears codes. It says it doesn't require entering ecu area to install either.
      03-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexbrah;21383943[B
]When I flash back to stock map, I get a CEL within a few minutes of driving.[/B] Maybe just get a JB+ for the tiny power boost but gets rid of the CEL (I think)
This +1!! Happens every time but I use my Cobb and clear it and no more CEL.

Just get a tune or some type of reset tool like Autozone has that reads your codes and then can clear the CEL in the meantime.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripAndRip View Post
I don't think Jb+ gets rid of CEL. It only adjusts the boost up by tricking the ecu into seeing lower boost. I don't think it clears codes. It says it doesn't require entering ecu area to install either.
Correct, JB+ only changes the signal at the TMAP sensor in the charge pipe. No interface with ECU or OBD.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
GripAndRip
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripAndRip View Post
Correct, JB+ only changes the signal at the TMAP sensor in the charge pipe. No interface with ECU or OBD.
That's what I thought. It just plays middle man and adjusts the reported voltage or information the ecu receives from boost sensor.

On a side note, depending on how much a clear tool is.... you might be better off buying the MHD monitor tool for android. If you have an android, all you need is the cables to connect to obd. It clears and reads codes. It also opens the door for an amazing tuning option when you are ready.

Oh and it allows you to log which is pretty fun and informative.
      03-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

If your county/borough requires emissions testing for your inspection sticker, do you have a plan to counter the catless DP ?

Quote:
So I recently purchased the Remus Sport exhaust and the sound difference between that and the stock is apparently really little. I'm trying to go a little louder, so I'm thinking maybe a catless downpipe.

I have read online and the shop has also told me that its bad to install a downpipe without a tune. Apparently the car would "run rich." So I'm wondering if theres anyone out there who has been running the catless DP on their cars without a tune and have had any problems thus far?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
WJMSprtXDrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
You can get solid HP/TQ increase with a Catted DP also and you don't have to worry about any smells. Some tunes will add pops, burbles and extra sounds to even a stock exhaust so keep that in mind.
If you just want the best sounding exhaust take your time and do the research(Youtube, forums etc) and go from there. Don't rush.
2011 E90 335i xDrive 6AT Performance Edition Package, M-Sport, TTFS Tune, VRSF 3.5" Catted DP, Active Autowerke CP, Turner Motorsport Strut Tower Brace, Hawk HP+, Bilstein B6, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, K&N ----
2014 F15 X5 xDrive50i M-Sport, RSE, 3rd Row
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Congrats on your REMUS exhaust!

Car will run fine without a tune, but you will get a CEL code from the downpipes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #11
aaron_
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 335i LCI

I have a Remus race axle back. Let me say that the sound is ALOT louder than stock with standard dp.

With catless midpipe it sounds like shit. I'm actually changing back to oem dp coz it's aweful

Catless dp without a tune will be rough. It will work but it won't be refined at all. I had my catless dp without a tune for 1 week.

Wait till you install the Remus. If it's too quiet I highly recommend catted dp's
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #12
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i N55 FBO

What if you have the PPK, JB4 and DP? I'm assuming going to Map 0 on the JB4 will enable the PPK again. But won't this be ill advised due to the DP? CEL lights when back to PPK (map 0)?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #13
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
If you want to run a catless downpipe without a tune and avoid CEL you need a downpipe fix. The Area 74 downpipe fix modifies the oxygen sensor signals to make the ECU think there's still a properly functioning cat. VRSF resells it. I have it in my car and when I ran it with PPK flash only (which does not do anything about CEL codes) it successfully prevented CEL codes and the ECU showed full emissions readiness.

The JB4 blocks your car from throwing a CEL from a catless DP by auto-clearing the DP-related codes. But the code is still stored in the ECU.

MHD Stage 2 maps basically ignores the DP codes but does not show cat readiness for emissions purposes.

If you run MHD and the DP fix, you have to flash back to stage 0 and complete multiple drive cycles to get the emissions readiness monitors to reset.
Appreciate 0