BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > BMW Driving Experience

03-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
majortruevil
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i M Sport

BMW Driving Experience

Hey fellow M2 owners,

So I bought an M2 back in November and have received my invitation to attend the BMW Driving Experience.

Unfortunately its only for the Advanced 1 course apparently so I was hoping to find out what others have experienced when trying to book the course given we did just buy M2s so why would we want to drive around in cars of lesser pedigree, right?

Just to note I have already done the Advanced 1 course, I just would have thought BMW would provide a course of similar level to the car purchased!!

Anyway, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

What cars are they offering? They had F80 M3's on my BMW Driving Experience, would of loved if they had M2's to compare on the track though.

It was an awesome day but agree should of offered different levels for the more experienced driver if you can prove you have attended previous sessions.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:32 AM   #3
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

I've done a couple of the half-day entry level BMW days and while enjoyable and helpful they are more aimed at people without any track or competition experience. The full day M fascination (I think it was - M3s only with fast track laps and timed DSC-off timed motorkhana) was more like it but over $1500.

Might be worth asking if you could put the free course's value towards a higher-level course?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
I've done a couple of the half-day entry level BMW days and while enjoyable and helpful they are more aimed at people without any track or competition experience. The full day M fascination (I think it was - M3s only with fast track laps and timed DSC-off timed motorkhana) was more like it but over $1500.

Might be worth asking if you could put the free course's value towards a higher-level course?
I think you can and you just pay the difference. That's what I am planning to do!
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
I think you can and you just pay the difference. That's what I am planning to do!
Please let us know - would certainly be preferable for me.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 1
jofus1.50
      03-10-2017, 04:00 AM   #6
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I did the BMW driving experience advanced 1 yesterday at Phillip Island. The cars used were M4, M3, 240i and 140i.

It was a great course and had a great time.

They had a few M2's there but they only use them for the advance 2 course. One of the M2's had the performance exhaust. One of the instructors started it for me to listen to. sounded great. A bit too loud though.

Attached Images

Last edited by DTNJNQ; 03-10-2017 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Please let us know - would certainly be preferable for me.
Going to book mine in whenever I find the time to do it but I will let you know =)
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
A'PEXi
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Would be interested in the advanced courses too if anyone has hook ups in QLD
      06-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I upgraded to the level 2 course, just pay the difference. I'd previously done the level 2 course as well, so there were no issues with having the right prerequisites.

I've booked in for the December date at Phillip Island.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #10
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I've done so many of these and am doing another tomorrow lol. A few years ago we as a group (1M forum) upgraded to level 2 by paying the extra.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #11
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I finally picked a date and am booked in for December at the Island. Haven't done Advanced 1 yet so looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #12
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I got my car early Jan and I'm still waiting for my invitation 😕
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #13
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy View Post
I got my car early Jan and I'm still waiting for my invitation 😕
Mine came via email about a week after taking delivery. Part of a email about Connected Drive. Could have been easily overlooked.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #14
Trexx
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i / AW M2

Took delivery of mine in end of Feb. Also still waiting. Have followed up with dealer a few times but he doesn't seem to know how the process happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #15
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep

I'm deciding between Philip Is and Sydney Motorsport Park for Advanced 2.

I've done a great many laps at SMSP, with at least one Supersprint day at each of the 4 current configurations. Never been to PI - interested to hear peoples' thoughts on the relative merits of each track, especially as a place to learn.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #16
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
I'm deciding between Philip Is and Sydney Motorsport Park for Advanced 2.

I've done a great many laps at SMSP, with at least one Supersprint day at each of the 4 current configurations. Never been to PI - interested to hear peoples' thoughts on the relative merits of each track, especially as a place to learn.
Phillip Island is sensational. Big run offs, little chance to destroy a car in a wall. Satisfying to nail turn 4 and eventually the run over Lukey Heights is a highlight to get spot on if you have a manual and nail it perfectly. Turns 1, 2 and 3 are pretty high speed and very enjoyable. Definitely worth a trip. Best track in victoria for sure, probably all of Australia.

Im booked (privately) for 6 September (0 spots) plus 27 November (8+ spots left). Full day, 8 x 15-20 minute sessions. No strong requirement other than open or closed face helmet and long pants/ sleeves. No extinguisher needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #17
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy View Post
Phillip Island is sensational. Big run offs, little chance to destroy a car in a wall. Satisfying to nail turn 4 and eventually the run over Lukey Heights is a highlight to get spot on if you have a manual and nail it perfectly. Turns 1, 2 and 3 are pretty high speed and very enjoyable. Definitely worth a trip. Best track in victoria for sure, probably all of Australia.

Im booked (privately) for 6 September (0 spots) plus 27 November (8+ spots left). Full day, 8 x 15-20 minute sessions. No strong requirement other than open or closed face helmet and long pants/ sleeves. No extinguisher needed.
Thanks - leaning towards trying out PI, plus always a pleasure to spend a couple of days in Melbourne and the Victorian countryside.

BTW - it will be in BMWs car so a DCT. I'll instead be able enjoy my 6MT M2 taking the long way through the Alps
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #18
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep

On a slightly different but relevant note I attended the bmw driving experience day yesterday up here in Queensland at Norwell motorplex. An awesome 3 hour session trying out the x5 on a mini off-road course followed by track session in the m2 and m140i followed by the m3 on the skid pan. Safe to say I won't be a drift king any time soon hahaha!

It was awesome to jump in the m2 with m performance exhaust first and really see what the car can do. We were only allowed around in sport mode but even still great fun to drive. The m140i is a great package for the money. It's fun y how it doesn't actually feel as fast but I could tell she was booting along quite nicely. The torque in that thing is insane!

It's making my wait till November for the delivery of my m2 almost unbearable!

I was wondering which drive day you get for free with your car as I really want to do the Phillip island one (travel down out of my own accord for a few days) but want to go to a more advanced session. Should I do the first level session up here first then head to PI for the advanced session? Can I use the provided voucher towards the advanced session at all?

Cheers.
Javed
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #19
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_au View Post
On a slightly different but relevant note I attended the bmw driving experience day yesterday up here in Queensland at Norwell motorplex. An awesome 3 hour session trying out the x5 on a mini off-road course followed by track session in the m2 and m140i followed by the m3 on the skid pan. Safe to say I won't be a drift king any time soon hahaha!

It was awesome to jump in the m2 with m performance exhaust first and really see what the car can do. We were only allowed around in sport mode but even still great fun to drive. The m140i is a great package for the money. It's fun y how it doesn't actually feel as fast but I could tell she was booting along quite nicely. The torque in that thing is insane!

I was wondering which drive day you get for free with your car as I really want to do the Phillip island one (travel down out of my own accord for a few days) but want to go to a more advanced session. Should I do the first level session up here first then head to PI for the advanced session? Can I use the provided voucher towards the advanced session at all?

Cheers.
Javed
Yes, You can used the voucher towards the more advanced day.
Typical BMW have been quite anal for having to do their previous level first, regardless of any other experience, which I think is so arrogant and bullshit of them. This may be an issue for you if you've not done level 1 (or whatever it's called now) before.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #20
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome thanks smiley. I think I may try and do level 1 first up here In qld so I can do advanced down at PI afterwards. We get discounts to the courses if we buy an m I am led to believe?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #21
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_au View Post

Cheers.
Javed

Out of interest was this the advanced 1 driving course? I've got mine booked in for the 17th of August at Norwell. I know Norwell isn't the most exciting course but I'm definitely looking forward to trying some of the other cars available.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 04:40 AM   #22
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep

Hi mate. Nope it was just a driver experience 3 hour session to get a taste for the cars. I tried to book I to advanced 1 in Norwell life next week but all the days are full. I will therefore try and do advanced 1 and 2 at Phillip island as I rang bmw today and they said most often they run the advanced 1 and 2 in consecutive days.
Appreciate 0