BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > DIY: F20 F21 Power Folding auto dimming & dipping mirrors

03-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
V.I.P.E.R
Rep
Drives: F20

DIY: F20 F21 Power Folding auto dimming & dipping mirrors

Hi guys,

I'm new at the forum and I drive a BMW F20.

DISCLAIMER:
As with all DIY projects, undertake this at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to you or your car!

I did the power folding auto dimming retrofit with dip function to my F20 - I want to share that with you - and by the way - sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker.

Basis:
F20 118i 11/2011
normal heating mirrors
auto Timing back mirror

Needed Parts:
- 2 x Mirror with power folding functionality
- new switch for the mirror control with the folding button

Tools:
- shrink tubing
- soldering colt
- Torx screwdriver
- plastic tools for the door covers

Background:
The mirrors in the normal setup where directly connected to the switch on the driver side. So they are directly controlled. In the new setup they are Controlled via Lin BUS. These are basically the differences.
On the driver side, Lin Bus is already there - on the passenger side not ...

Opportunities ? Later more ...

Steps:
1. lower the Panel on both sides and put the mirror glas on both sides in the upset possible position.

2. disconnect battery

3.remove both door covers. (some torx screws, use a plastic tool to remove them safely). Dont kill the metal clips at the top!

4. remove both inner doof frames where the small speakers are located. The frames are also tightened with clips.

5.Remove the mirror glas with a plastic tool from the bottom. Lever it towards yourself slowly. Reattach the tool several times around the glas. Afterwards remove the mirror cover. It is tightened at three points inside the mirror with some kind of plastic clips. Four hands instead of two helped a lot here
Two hands try to loosen the clips, the other two should try to remove the cover.
Same for the other side.

6. Now it is possible to remove the mirrors. It is tightened with three torx screws (one is hided unter some rubber).
Loose the mirror connector plug first.

7. Mount the new mirrors in the same way you removed the old ones. Plug in the cable.

8.Now the mounting is finished. Driver side is plug and play, if you replace the switch ... Because Lin is already located there (you remember - I mentioned this before) But what is about the passenger side?

So I did some research in the Internet and in Rhinegold and I started to wondering what happened with the three cables which were used in the old "normal" variant? You are guessing right - nothing. So they will remain useless.

But - how many cables do we need for getting the passenger mirror working? - We will need three of them. Perfect - this sound ideal. One little problem is the cabel profile - it is not the same than in the original wire ring diagram. But from my point of view - this is not a big problem. Not much power running through it.

So - we are able to proceed:

9. Following steps are needed on the connector of S35 (at the passenger switch)
Pin 7,8,9 are the useless pins which where directly connected to the passenger mirror.
I've opened the connector and connected the following pins with the soldering bolt. ( you can do it how ever you prefer ... )

Pin 7 mit Pin 1 (ground)
Pin 8 mit Pin 2 (Lin Bus)
Pin 9 mit Pin 10 (power)

You can see the disconnected cables from pin 7,8,9 and the connected cables to the mentioned above pins.

10. Put everything together

11. Connect Battery

12. Code: Add 430 to FA and code FEM VO

Done

Thanks and feel free to ask if something is unclear.

best
Tim
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #2
wymlen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1series F20

Hi Tim,
I'm a new member, do you have a copy of the wiring diagram for the F20 standard wing mirror (not folding or auto-dim).
Regards,
Malcolm
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:48 AM   #3
petran221077
Registered
Rep
Drives: f 20 116 ed

Hi i have bought an auto dim internal mirror but i can not find a way to activate it.PLEASE can you post a photo of the existing wiring of your car???
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:40 AM   #4
Raygbmw1
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw116 F20

Just done this retrofit and it works. I did exactly what VIPER wrote above.

Thanks VIPER!!!

Here are the wiring diagrams.

https://pasteboard.co/HzSvwWW.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/HzSwHu2.jpg

Last edited by Raygbmw1; 08-19-2018 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Also got it working by following your instructions, however, i had to add the following two options with coding to get the switch button and dipping function to work:

ASP_BEIKLAPPEN set to aktive
ASP_MEMORY_VERBAUT aktive
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
aigle
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325ia

hi
I am French and I have trouble with English
if you have the whole in french it would make me
thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigle View Post
I am French and I have trouble with English
if you have the whole in french
You can have texts (not only single words) translated here: https://www.google.com/search?&q=english+to+french, like I did: "Vous pouvez faire traduire des textes (pas seulement des mots isolés) ici, comme je l’ai fait".
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 02:34 AM   #8
aigle
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325ia

hi

Hello
I tried but the result is not good
(bonjourj'ai essaye mais le resultat n'est pas bon si vous avez la traduction sa m'arrange merci d'avance)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
petran221077
Registered
Rep
Drives: f 20 116 ed

Lightbulb bmw f 20 autodim mirror fuse location

Hi again, well i have installed an auto dim interior mirror, the coding is ok but the mirror does not dim, i am thinking if the problem is the fuse, so does anyone knows which fuse applies to the auto dim mirror, also can someone post a photo of the wiring from the rain sensor, actual photo so to be easy to check if the wiring is correct. Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
nurif20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

I need to bumb this up. Is it possible to use the folding without a new switch?
And does the adjustment of the mirror still works with the old switch without the folding button
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #11
ready750
Registered
Morocco
Rep
Drives: F20

Thanks VIPER! Work great
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #12
beastaS
Rep
Drives: E92 330i F20 116d ED

Side Mirror Query

Just bought an F20 116d. Driver side mirror adjustment works fine. Passenger side mirror adjustment doesn’t work at all. However, passenger side mirror tilts down when reverse is engaged. The driver door mirror switch is fine as I tested it with multimeter. Wiring seems fine too.

Previous owner had replaced driver side mirror after accident. I suspect they installed the wrong mirror on driver side.
I took the cap off from both and they both look different inside.

Driver side has no module on the back of the motor. The mirror glass has only two black wires for heating. See two pictures below-
Name:  5EC481D5-D0A1-419C-AF73-483F04FF9FE1.jpg
Views: 5205
Size:  372.4 KB
Name:  844A6F55-A17E-4974-BE8F-CCFF91A4F3DC.jpg
Views: 4945
Size:  352.7 KB

Passenger side mirror has a black module on the back of the motor. The mirror glass has an extra wire connector (white). See two pictures below-
Name:  401772B2-F685-4961-8BEE-6100AAE596CD.jpg
Views: 5079
Size:  410.2 KB
Name:  DC186EFE-5B07-4D32-A5D5-FBBDCC9D16EF.jpg
Views: 5268
Size:  378.3 KB

Can someone please explain what’s wrong here?
Should I change the driver side mirror? If yes, which mirror do I need exactly?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #13
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaS View Post
Just bought an F20 116d. Driver side mirror adjustment works fine. Passenger side mirror adjustment doesn’t work at all. However, passenger side mirror tilts down when reverse is engaged. The driver door mirror switch is fine as I tested it with multimeter. Wiring seems fine too.

Previous owner had replaced driver side mirror after accident. I suspect they installed the wrong mirror on driver side.
I took the cap off from both and they both look different inside.

Driver side has no module on the back of the motor. The mirror glass has only two black wires for heating. See two pictures below-
Attachment 2723396
Attachment 2723397

Passenger side mirror has a black module on the back of the motor. The mirror glass has an extra wire connector (white). See two pictures below-
Attachment 2723398
Attachment 2723399

Can someone please explain what’s wrong here?
Should I change the driver side mirror? If yes, which mirror do I need exactly?
The driver side mirror is heated only. The passenger side mirror is heated + auto-dimming. Be very careful with the auto-dimming mirror connection as you can burn the glass permanently black, unusable (reportedly).

If you choose to change your driver side mirror for auto-dimming double check you really have the function supported as the parts are much more expensive than what you have. You can find part numbers here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select. Well, it calls the mirror glass "auto dip", but it must be a spelling mistake (especially for my LHD left/driver's one)!

Regarding adjustment, it looks like the signal from the switch doesn't reach the destination while the reverse tilting signal comes from a different source (the gearbox?), apparently.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #14
Algon
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Did this retrofit a few weeks ago using this guide. Really happy to have power folding mirrors now. To my surprise the side mirrors happened to be auto-dimming as well which I now very much like.
Finding the power folding mirrors took me a while though.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #15
frank.lecock@telenet.be
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i G21 Msport

Will this also work on a G20/21? I want to retrofit power folding mirrors with auto dim, i already have a auto dim mirror inside the car? Someone who can tell me where i can find the wiring diagrams of a G20/21 with and without power folding mirrors please?
Appreciate 0