E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > KW V1 what height to set it (# of threads from bottom)?

03-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

KW V1 what height to set it (# of threads from bottom)?

Any tried and true height setup (how many threads to leave on coilovers Front/Rear) for 162 style rims with 15mm/20mm spacers F/R so that it won't rub? I just don't want to go back and forth adjusting all 4 corners until I find proper height. Lot's of people have/had 162s and KW V1s - maybe someone can pinpoint correct height to begin with in the first place. Thanks

P.S. Staggered setup 225/40/18x8 F (+15mm spacer) and 255/35/18x8.5 R (+20mm spacer) on a e90 2007 328xi

P.P.S. I'm thinking leaving 5-6 threads on front and set it in the middle on rear - that should give me around 1.5 inch drop F/R - is it about right?

Last edited by n55jb4; 03-05-2017 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I have like 12 from the bottom on the front. 7 in the rear. It's a "2 finger gap".

5-6 threads is not that much, you will be pretty slammed. I'm not too keen on slamming an Xi, it puts a lot of strain on the CV joints and the car rides so much better just going up a little in my experience.
Appreciate 2
n55jb4130.50
      03-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I have like 12 from the bottom on the front. 7 in the rear. It's a "2 finger gap".

5-6 threads is not that much, you will be pretty slammed. I'm not too keen on slamming an Xi, it puts a lot of strain on the CV joints and the car rides so much better just going up a little in my experience.
Hey Jeff, thanks for reply! So if I do 12 Front and 7 Rear - this 2 finger gap should be lower than stock xi gap right?
How much worse is ride comfort over stock xi?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I checked threads of other people too and it appears there is no consensus on height. I can adjust fronts myself after install if I'll need to - it's DIY doable, but rears appear to be PITA - you basically have to take off control arm to fully adjust rears. So I really need to set rears correctly in the first place.
Jeff is saying his setup has 7 threads left from bottom in Rear to have 2 finger gap. I found photos where a guy has Rears set to max height and it's also 2 finger gap! Different fingers lol?

Anyone else can chime in who had/has KW V1s on 328xi pre-lci? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4 View Post
Hey Jeff, thanks for reply! So if I do 12 Front and 7 Rear - this 2 finger gap should be lower than stock xi gap right?
How much worse is ride comfort over stock xi?
I wouldn't personally say it's worse then stock. The stock suspension was in fact a horrible ride to me. The KW brought it back to where I feel the car should have been. Everyone will have a different opinion on what feels good and what doesn't. I felt the stock suspension was too bouncy and vague at times. Actually the best mod I've done for my Xi was the front sway bar. Before the sway bar upgrade I planned on getting rid of my Xi for something like an X5. I'll likely keep it for a few more years now that it actually handles decent and feels right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4 View Post
I checked threads of other people too and it appears there is no consensus on height. I can adjust fronts myself after install if I'll need to - it's DIY doable, but rears appear to be PITA - you basically have to take off control arm to fully adjust rears. So I really need to set rears correctly in the first place.
Jeff is saying his setup has 7 threads left from bottom in Rear to have 2 finger gap. I found photos where a guy has Rears set to max height and it's also 2 finger gap! Different fingers lol?

Anyone else can chime in who had/has KW V1s on 328xi pre-lci? Thank you
Yes, different fingers will provide a different 2 finger size.

Your best bet is just to get down and dirty and adjust the car.

I was able to do the rears without taking them off. I just put vice grips on the Top Mount to keep it from moving. It was a bitch but less of a bitch then taking it all apart.
Appreciate 1
n55jb4130.50
      03-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Quote:

i bought a used set of kw v1 and i have to get them rebuilt and im not sure i wanna go throught the hassle anymore so im considering keeping stock xi and doing front sway bar

have you done front sway bar on stock xi suspension ?
if yes what does it do exactly and how did it feel ?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours View Post
i bought a used set of kw v1 and i have to get them rebuilt and im not sure i wanna go throught the hassle anymore so im considering keeping stock xi and doing front sway bar

have you done front sway bar on stock xi suspension ?
if yes what does it do exactly and how did it feel ?

thanks
I have not had the FSB on the stock Xi suspension. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the stock suspension, it's garbage

However, the FSB is the best mod for sure to date. Body roll is minimized. Much better front end grip, turn in ETC. A FSB upgrade even on stock suspension will be a good upgrade.

I can understand not wanting to rebuild used KW's. Consider buying new, we offer them at a great price point right now during our tax refund sale.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Quote:
I have not had the FSB on the stock Xi suspension. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the stock suspension, it's garbage

However, the FSB is the best mod for sure to date. Body roll is minimized. Much better front end grip, turn in ETC. A FSB upgrade even on stock suspension will be a good upgrade.

I can understand not wanting to rebuild used KW's. Consider buying new, we offer them at a great price point right now during our tax refund sale.
pm me the price please !
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
jcarv20s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

FSB upgrades for an XI? Please advise on make and purchase place.
Appreciate 0